just got home starting my computer and clicked on Blue Iris icon and got this

chmenke

n3wb
Reaction score
I am assuming that if you updated BI it would update the certificate?

And if so, if you rollback would that certificate remain or would it revert back to?

Is it possible to pull an active/valid certificate from another computer?
Generally BI shouldn't be updating any certificates that get installed for your OS. What the developer should have done (maybe they did, I haven't updated since 2022) is sign the BlueIrisAdmin.exe with a new signature, which relies on updated/valid certificates already on your PC.

So did the developer re-sign the exe? Maybe. Could you copy this new exe to your older installation? Maybe. It's probably a simple wrapper for the BlueIris.exe file that is updated with each new release. Since my BlueIrisAdmin.exe wasn't updated since 2019 for a mid-2022 BI5 installation, I'm thinking it doesn't get many updates.

I've been using BI5 with DeepStack flawlessly for a year, so waiting for CodeProject AI to become more stable before I consider updating. DS was a major pain to get working correctly.

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think it's an expired certificate. I was still able to open blue iris using an elevated command prompt. So that's something.

Viewing the certificate info under the blueiris.exe properties shows this:

View attachment 170593

I'm guessing the NotBefore parameter is set for one year prior to the current date. Not sure how to fix the issue though.

I dont usually use command prompt.. I know how to open cmd as admin but what exactly do i need to type after C:\Windows\system32>
Thanks for any help here

chmenke

n3wb
Reaction score
I dont usually use command prompt.. I know how to open cmd as admin but what exactly do i need to type after C:\Windows\system32>
Thanks for any help here
Pretty much copy the path from your BI shortcut. For me that's:

"C:\Blue Iris 5\BlueIrisAdmin.exe"

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pretty much copy the path from your BI shortcut. For me that's:

"C:\Blue Iris 5\BlueIrisAdmin.exe"
Awesome it worked.. i wasnt using the correct spacing and capital letters.. Would it be simple to create a batch file that uses the admin cmd?

Reaction score
I have the same problem and can use command prompt to get in, however, I went into the Blue Iris directory on my C drive and found two executables one name "blueirisadmin.exe" and another "blueiris.exe" The first one is blocked. The second run the program but won't allow menu access. If I run the second one, blueiris.exe as an administrator, it then gets blocked! Go figure.

chmenke

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome it worked.. i wasnt using the correct spacing and capital letters.. Would it be simple to create a batch file that uses the admin cmd?
I think so. Just create a file called bi.bat and paste that same path into it.

There's instructions on how to run a batch as admin by creating a shortcut to the batch file and setting some option for it:

Not sure if this will work, it's a roundabout way to bypass UAC

chmenke

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem and can use command prompt to get in, however, I went into the Blue Iris directory on my C drive and found two executables one name "blueirisadmin.exe" and another "blueiris.exe" The first one is blocked. The second run the program but won't allow menu access. If I run the second one, blueiris.exe as an administrator, it then gets blocked! Go figure.
I believe blueiris.exe is the service and actual guts of the software. BlueIrisAdmin.exe is the local console wrapper that provides the user interface locally and probably uses blueiris.exe.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another way to bypass UAC is by setting a scheduled task that runs elevated. I generally use this to start the BI console on reboot when the system is used to display the cams. Then simply create a shortcut to it.

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think so. Just create a file called bi.bat and paste that same path into it.

There's instructions on how to run a batch as admin by creating a shortcut to the batch file and setting some option for it:

Not sure if this will work, it's a roundabout way to bypass UAC
Its been a long time since i messed with bat files.. this is what i have so far from reading a little

@ECHO OFF
start C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIrisAdmin.exe
PAUSE

I did see that shortcut trick and did that to set it to "run as admin" but still not working.. You see anything im missing there? Trying to make it easy for my girlfriend to launch it when im not home.. Thanks again

chmenke

n3wb
Reaction score
Its been a long time since i messed with bat files.. this is what i have so far from reading a little

@ECHO OFF
start C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIrisAdmin.exe
PAUSE

I did see that shortcut trick and did that to set it to "run as admin" but still not working.. You see anything im missing there? Trying to make it easy for my girlfriend to launch it when im not home.. Thanks again
You need quotes around your path since it has spaces. All you need is:
"C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIrisAdmin.exe"

Echo off will hide errors from you, so omit that. Pause will leave the command prompt open until you press a key to close it, so probably omit that too after you got it working. Don't think you need start either.

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need quotes around your path since it has spaces. All you need is:
"C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIrisAdmin.exe"

Echo off will hide errors from you, so omit that. Pause will leave the command prompt open until you press a key to close it, so probably omit that too after you got it working. Don't think you need start either.
Lol that did it.. i always try and over do things.. THANK YOU!!!!

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Making this change in the registry got me going again:

View attachment 170606

Had the same problem on 2 computers tonight. The easy fix for me was to use the second tip from the "Make Use Of" article..."Running the exe from Command Line". Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Reaction score
Well, I was always thinking about upgrading since I started with version 4 and upgraded to 5 in 2020. Well, I upgraded to 5.7 etc and the problem is GONE. Maybe a slick way to force upgrades? I don't know but I really need my Blue Iris so 34 bucks a year is worth it. On the plus side, I can't believe the upgrades that have been made. Wow. Lastly, I was tempted to reinstall my version again since I have it in an archive. Maybe someone can do that to see if it fixes the demon. Good luck all

Last edited:

sergomel

n3wb
Reaction score
My cert was "explicitly revoked" by BI. I guess I need to renew my subscription to get valid certificate. go figure.

1692770434744.png

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My cert was "explicitly revoked" by BI. I guess I need to renew my subscription to get valid certificate. go figure.

View attachment 170620
Certs don't work like this. The issuer is NOT BI it's a CA (certificate authority) company like Verisign, GoDaddy, DigiCert, Thawte, GloabalSign etc etc - They generate chains of trust by generating CAs from their heavily guarded root CA and then eventually down the chain they sign certificates with them for set time periods before they expire or are revoked. Operating systems and web browsers regularly update their lists of trusted root certificate authorities to ensure that older and possibly compromised CAs/Certs are no longer valid/trusted. The whole internet running SSL (HTTPS) is based on this for very good reasons.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like at some stage BI switched over to using DigiCert instead of thawte, Windows no longer trusts the thawte root cert which now reports the “NotBefore or Disallowed” status when you look at that cert.

Not too sure how this will fixed for people whose support has expired and don’t want or need to update to latest?