Just Sharing My Progress

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a surfboard modem, which I believe is exclusively a bridge. I have an Asus RT-AC68U and have activated the VPN and generated the config file. I just can’t get it to connect. I’m pretty sure that I disabled all port forwarding so I think I need to figure out if I need to open one or ???

I’ll tinker around with it tomorrow.
No ports should be open, none needed.
Did you load the config file into OPENVPN on your phone?

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I just got OpenVPN connected on my phone. However, when I attempt to connect to BI it says “Unable to make connection; check server address.”

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just figured it out. Had to change the WAN address to match the LAN address. I assume this is because the app thinks I'm connecting from outside the network?

Now I just need to get OpenVPN to work on my laptop. So far, it times out when I try to connect. I'll reload the config file and try again. Thanks @looney2ns for shifting my focus to the phone... I needed a win.

Reaction score
@smithb you should DEFINITELY be connecting to VPN from outside the network. Turn off wi-fi on your phone, and reconnect to VPN (that's how you need it to work anyway). Once you are connected via the cell providers network, and over your VPN tunnel you should be able to pull up the admin console on the RT-AC68U via the internal 192.168.x.x ip address just like you use when at home. You should also be able to see the phone connected as a client if you access the admin pages from inside your network.

If the VPN isn't working you wouldn't be able to login to admin console from the phone unless you have the router misconfigured in a way that allows WAN access.
Never set Administration : System : Enable Web Access from WAN : Yes

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The phone is good to go. It’s the laptop that I'm having trouble with. It might be because I'm connecting from a corporate guest WIFI. I'm going to try to connect through my phone's hotspot and see if that does the trick.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just confirmed that everything is now working fine on both my phone and laptop. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And just like that, ladies and gentlemen, Phase 2 is complete! I installed a 3.6mm front door cam at 6 ft in corridor orientation. I was going to install it at 5 ft but I just happened to be checking things out at sunset the other day and noticed that it was in direct sunlight. Taking my time definitely paid off this time.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yep, taking your time pays off. Why did you got with a 3.6mm ?

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, taking your time pays off. Why did you got with a 3.6mm ?
The main reason for going with the 3.6mm was that Andy didn't have a 2.8mm in stock. I waffled a bit but ultimately decided that the difference was minor. I think it worked out just fine.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you’re asking why I wanted a wide angle lens, it’s because the subject will be within 6 feet of the camera. At this distance a 2.8mm or 3.6mm can both identify visitors and watch packages immediately in front of my door. I have other cameras covering the approach and getaway.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks! I’d be lost without the guidance I’ve been given from the good folks on this board. All told, you guys have probably saved me over $800 in crappy cameras and cables that I almost purchased and would have had to replace sooner rather than later.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you’re asking why I wanted a wide angle lens, it’s because the subject will be within 6 feet of the camera. At this distance a 2.8mm or 3.6mm can both identify visitors and watch packages immediately in front of my door. I have other cameras covering the approach and getaway.
well that is precisely why I was asking why you didn't got with the 2.8mm. But your answer makes sense. As long as you can see what you need to see its good.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are some closer pics of the installation. The paint job was quick and dirty out of necessity, so I'll need to touch it up at some point. I masked the face with blue painter's tape. I overlapped the sides and trimmed around the glass with a razor for a nice clean edge. I had a couple of bleed spots that I cleaned off with my fingernail. It's not really a problem with the full-face glass cover, but if you're concerned about perfection I'd recommend using frog tape. I think picking a color to match the style of the light fixtures has a much more appealing look than trying to match the color of the siding. This color is Rustoleum Metallic Burnished Amber from a rattle can. I'm looking forward to seeing the updates on the camera painting post, as well.

My VMS is in my basement workshop, which is conveniently located adjacent to the garage foundation. The cable runs aren't the most professional looking, and I'd probably not be too pleased if I'd paid someone to run them, but my standards have a tendency towards leniency when I do the work myself. Some of the cover plates were installed after the fact so I simply snapped one side and slipped it over the cable. It's not perfect but it passes the 6-foot aesthetic acceptability test for a garage environment.
You can easily neaten up the cables with some plastic trunking that can be added after the fact eg:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mini-trunking-38mm-x-25mm-x-2m/95463

Just cut it to length. Would avoid the adhesive alone though as often not very strong. I usually put a screw through the centre of the base every 12-18 inches. Won't abrade the cable as no movement, although nothing to stop you sticking a small piece of electrical tape, duct tape or similar over the screw head. I use it for non cctv applications but can't see why CCTV would be any different indoors as you don't need waterproofing or security in your application.

Mike46052

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks Great!
Im curious to see what a person at the front door looks like with that angle. Seems like there could be a pretty good blind spot but youll have good approach views from the garage.

Also how did you go about installing at the front door location.
You're in a two story house so im curious house this would work? Lots of drywall repair i assume?

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll post some pics tonight if I get a chance. I’m still debating whether to use corridor or landscape. Definitely have some tweaking to do.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My house is laid out fairly conveniently for running cables. The front wall and garage are accessible from my basement workshop, so it's a straight shot up through the sill plate. The hard part is fishing the wire through a 3/4" hole. I had to cheat to make it happen this time. I cut a hole on the inside wall to give me access to reach in and grab the fish rod. I installed a low voltage box and I'll put a blank cover plate on there until I can patch and paint after the holidays.

Here are some pics of some creep with no mouth at 1 foot and 3 feet from my door:

Last edited:

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just wanted to add that I still plan to experiment with landscape some more. As you can see, corridor shows a bit more ceiling than necessary with the 3.6mm lens. If I do go with landscape, I may need to add a second porch camera in the overhead at the far end to observe what’s happening with packages.

Between work and family I only have a few minutes to play with settings each evening, so that kind of slows down progress.