Laptop or Desktop Pc ? to run Blue Iris?

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have an i5 dual core, and i have a 1080p security system (iSmart) with 2mp cameras (1 to 5 mp,depends on the adjustment) - Have 6 ip wired cameras. (i can add 2 more as my system is 8 channels)

Now, i know Blue Iris is really good program to monitor ,play ,etc...

Now, i want to buy a second pc or laptop "quad core" just for the security system and to use only with Blue Iris! I see some laptops quad core in sale for $250 at fry's , or refurbished mini towers quad cores around $150,250 , wanted to stay under $300.

So what you guys think? desktop is better or a laptop will do it?

Thanks
P.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an i5 dual core, and i have a 1080p security system (iSmart) with 1mp cameras (1 to 5 mp,depends on the adjustment) - Have 6 ip wired cameras. (i can add 2 more as my system is 8 channels)

Now, i know Blue Iris is really good program to monitor ,play ,etc...

Now, i want to buy a second pc or laptop "quad core" just for the security system and to use only with Blue Iris! I see some laptops quad core in sale for $250 at fry's , or refurbished mini towers quad cores around $150,250 , wanted to stay under $300.

So what you guys think? desktop is better or a laptop will do it?

Thanks
P.
Welcome to the forum Dont look at the number of cores...look at the processor..you want a 4th generation haswell..there is a huge difference between the models and looking at the cores alone will yield a junk pc.
stay away from laptops as they are generally low power processors.
Here is an option with two year on site warranty....there are larger units if you want to put a 3.5 drive, look at the small form factor or tower...Dell has outlet sales all the time with i5 haswells for 300-400....full 3 year warranty...dont buy junk..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-USDT-Desktop-Core-i5-4590s-3GHz-4GB-320GB-2017-War-Win-10-/141752586133?hash=item21011ccf95#shpCntId

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you for replying.

So this 4th generation haswell, will not take the cpu running at 100%? with all 6 cameras ,and i may add 2 more later on.

Planing on buying to cheap cameras to test out! like this here:

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1812-Review-TOP-201-Super-Mini-720P-HD-IP-Cam-(The-Cheapest-IP-Cam-So-Far-!!)/page47

Just some info about my system:

Nvr:
http://www.ismartzon.com/digital/nvr/1080p-hd-8ch-poe-nvr
(2 Hdd's - 1tb and 2tb of total 3tb.)

4 Cameras like this:
http://www.ismartzon.com/digital/poe-ip-camera/1080p-poe-ip-bullet-camera-c2003dn4

2 Cameras like this:
http://shoppingcctv.com/-p-4108/GW2061IP.html

Wireless router:
N900 netgear
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/WNDR4500.aspx

Regarding Dell outlets, is that a online store where i can monitor what they have in sale? And other thing about HP, i know that those sometime they run hot and then cpu goes out,from my
reading on the hp slim line of towers.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you havent already purchased those cameras, dont, there are much better options. The haswell i5 in that system will be able to run those cameras...(you will need to set recording to direct to disk).
These hp's are not like the home systems..they are built much better..regardless, the haswell processors run very cool. I also still have 4 slimlines in the office that have no issues.
As far as dell, follow dell OUTLET twitter, look for optiplex 7020 or 9020 business systems.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay! Thank you friend for the advice.

Regarding the cameras, thanks for let me know... the cameras i have right now paid $100+ for each...big difference in price from $20 cam.

Regards,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay! Thank you friend for the advice.

Regarding the cameras, thanks for let me know... the cameras i have right now paid $100+ for each...big difference in price from $20 cam.

Regards,
Yes..big difference in performance too...The cams you currently have are not that great either..
Dahua has a bunch of 4mp cameras for under 100..

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes..big difference in performance too...The cams you currently have are not that great either..
Dahua has a bunch of 4mp cameras for under 100..
Yes, you right As of right now they okay ,but i need 2 more and wanted to buy 1 more for now to test out,as later one i may change all to some other better brands.

Now, for those Dahua brand , where you so 4mp at under $100? searched little and did not find any more than 3mp under $100, if you have a link somewhere you so it please post.

My cams are for outside and looking for: waterproof,night vision,color and from what i know more ir leds the far they see.

Thank you!

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you.

Are this cam's with 1 ir led, from what i see , better than the cameras that have 40,64,etc ir leads?

And trying to figure out if the 600tvl option @ 6mm/lents are better

Don't have much experience with those settings! I allways looking to have more ir leads and mega pixel.

Thanks for any clarification.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the 1 ir is better...Its a different design and just as powerful as the other..its shines better and is less prone to spider web issues
The 600tvl has nothing to do with resolution (tvl is used for analog cameras), its just the way to select the lens size...aliexpress does not have an option for lens size so they use the "tvl" option to allow you to chose the size..
more megapixels does NOT mean its better, in fact, in low light, more MP can be worse...2mp will be better than 5mp at night or low light (for most cameras)...
6mm lens will be more zoomed in than 4mm..

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are this cam's with 1 ir led, from what i see , better than the cameras that have 40,64,etc ir leads?

And trying to figure out if the 600tvl option @ 6mm/lents are better
I have one of these on order. Personally, I always prefer the 2.8mm lens for the wide F.O.V., but it would depend on what you want to use it for. This will be my first camera with the single IR, but what I've read, it has better range and more reliable than cameras with multiple LED's. I guess time will tell. :)

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you guys for replying!

Yes, Spider web is a problem for me from time to time...So i guess that is a good point to get the single ir led cam.

Now, i think this one here maybe good too:
http://www.ismartzon.com/digital/poe-ip-camera/1080p-poe-ip-bullet-camera-white-65

I can get this for $75+shipping. Looks good and is Usa based.

As of right now i have 4 cam's in my backyard (65 ft wide , and front to back about 80 ft) and 2 in the front! Backyard i monitor my Husky dog to see what he's up too :dog: , and to for the front street view! have room for 2 more and is all pre-wired with cat5e cables ready to put
new cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont just buy random cameras..there are known good brands..like hikvision and dahua...no need to risk it on these...they are not us based...the reseller is and that is meaningless..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you right friend! Will try the Dahua, will order one this coming week.

Regards!
When ordering make sure its from a reliable seller that others on this site are using...there is a thread discussing the 4mp dahuas with links to the seller....

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any cheap i7 desktop that will be better than the i5 haswell? A link if you can just to have an idea whats about.
Just thinking to spend little more in case if i run more than 8 cam's. Not sure if the i5 will the cpu hold at 10 cam's plus...

Thanks,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any cheap i7 desktop that will be better than the i5 haswell? A link if you can just to have an idea whats about.
Just thinking to spend little more in case if i run more than 8 cam's. Not sure if the i5 will the cpu hold at 10 cam's plus...

Thanks,
You can get the i7 haswells for about 450-500 when on sale.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok,Thank you for that info.
How can you tell that an i7 has the haswells cpu? is it like 4th,5th generation or?...Thanks.
haswell is 4th generation as as a 4 digit code after the i7...like 4790 or 4770...
5th generation systems are still hard to come by at a good price as they were just released.
EDIT, the 4 digit code must start with a 4.