LaView NVR with Amcrest Camera Compatibility/Setup Help!

lilscooby

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All!

First time attempting to setup a security camera system. I bought (2x) Amcrest POE cameras and a LaView NVR (below). Reading a bit more, I'm worried about setting up a system with different manufacturers.

How much of a pain will it be to grow this system over time? Should I return one or the other or both and start with something else? If it can be setup properly, is there a good guide to follow?

Camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C7W91YR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NVR: LaView 4K 8.3MP IP PoE NVR

Thanks!

LS

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @lilscooby

Those were some good deals recently.

Look for ONVIF in both the spec sheets of the NVR and the Cameras.

You will probably need to set those cameras to "talk" ONVIF and the NVR to "talk" ONVIF on the channels those cameras are configured to.

Share with us what ONVIF profiles are supported by the cameras and the nvr.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Too bad you didn't spend more time on IPCT before your purchase but now that you're here...the bad news:
The Laview OEM is Hikvision and the Amcrest's is Dahua. Both great OEM's and even if both are ONVIF-compatible, it's best to use NVR and cams from the same manufacturer/OEM.

I cannot see the Laview specs because something on the site is deemed malicious by my Norton, so...
The cams look pretty good and are ONVIF so if I had to say anything I'd say keep the cams and return the NVR however...If you spent some time in the Cliff Notes above you'd learn that bullet cams can attract spiders and their webs cause false alerts.

Can you return cams AND the NVR and start again?

lilscooby

n3wb
Reaction score
Mat2000/TonyR,

Thanks for the replies. The Amcrest camera's spec sheet shows that it is ONVIF-compatible but the NVR's makes no mention of it. I read else where that LaView NVR's are ONVIF compatible though. I could not locate what ONVIF profiles are on either. Both spec sheets attached.

I can return both still as I just ordered them. I did buy them before doing all my homework (wish I saw the Cliff Notes before!).

Also - I've read poor App usability for most brands including LaView. As that will be my most used interface, does any one brand have a better UI than the rest?

I also got both of these for outdoors and need one for inside the house. Open to suggestions for that (still making my way through the Cliff Notes so I'm sure it will come up there as well).

LS

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mat2000/TonyR,

Thanks for the replies. The Amcrest camera's spec sheet shows that it is ONVIF-compatible but the NVR's makes no mention of it. I read else where that LaView NVR's are ONVIF compatible though. I could not locate what ONVIF profiles are on either. Both spec sheets attached.

I can return both still as I just ordered them. I did buy them before doing all my homework (wish I saw the Cliff Notes before!).

Also - I've read poor App usability for most brands including LaView. As that will be my most used interface, does any one brand have a better UI than the rest?

I also got both of these for outdoors and need one for inside the house. Open to suggestions for that (still making my way through the Cliff Notes so I'm sure it will come up there as well).

LS
HI @lilscooby

A lot of members here like Blue Iris running on a used i5/i7 business class PC. Those cameras will work with Blue Iris.

If you're OK running w/ONVIF you should be able to get the cameras and NVR to function with each other.
( that NVR was a very nice price, as were the cameras )

I would at least try to see how well you can get those to work together using the ONVIF settings. Setup a simple setup and play with it a bit.

In terms of interface - a number of members here do not like either the Dahua nor the Hikvision interfaces as much as they like what they can do with Blue Iris.