Less Bandwidth?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like the router is a big part of the problem!
I think the majority of the problem is that it doesn’t have a web based UI. Everything is through this app - so it is limited in functionality.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I dunno. One wall does cause a lot of signal attenuation (reduction), especially if it is something thick like a floor.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dunno. One wall does cause a lot of signal attenuation (reduction), especially if it is something thick like a floor.
I’ll put it in the hallway then. Just need to go through the top floor closet and down in the ceiling. Then a fair amount of fishing. Hope the joists run opposite of where I need to go.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried running a ping test from a laptop connected wirelessly? This might show the latency between the mesh connections.

As you're IT I'm ure you knwo how to do this but for everyone else, click on the windows icon bottom left of wwindows, type "Run" in the windows search bar tht pops up next to this, you should get a list showing an option of "Command Prompt App" Right click over this and select "Run as Administrator". When the black box pops up, type next to the prompt into the box Ping Insert the web address here of a website you know: eg "ping www.ipcamtalk.com". Windows should then run a test where it pings the web address several times measuring the latency at every stage of the route ie every "hop". The results will be displayed at the end.If trying to test internal latency of eg a mesh network, choose a web site local to you ie not much point pinging Australia when in the US when you only want to concern yourself with the first few hops. When finished, close the command prompt by the X at the top of the window, same as every other window. Not ttoally familair with mesh systems but I understand the device connects to the nearest hub, so by moving the laptop around the home, you should be able to test each hub in turn. The latency of the hops to your router might reveal where the problem lies.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@CCTVCam That isn't how the ping command works in Windows. But that IS how this works: bp2008/pingtracer

Windows' ping command just sends 4 pings directly to the target unless you start adding command line switches.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry wrong command. Meant to say use Trace Route (tracert).

So for example: tracert www.ipcamtalk.com

This should ping every hop to the end server.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update: Installed Ubiquiti system last night, got it up and running today.

So far, I can't find a deadspot in the house. at the very edge of my property line I'm at 160 MBPS outdoors.

I haven't been able to connect every device that was previously connected - so, I'll have to hold my thoughts on whether this solved my problems - but I'm thinking it's looking good.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow that is great - my suggestion would be to run a speed test after you hook up each device to see if one of them is the culprit.

As we discussed, I suspect you had an inferior router that was overloaded and since you couldn't change the channel, was probably getting a lot of interference.

Good luck - keep us posted!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Update: Installed Ubiquiti system last night, got it up and running today.

So far, I can't find a deadspot in the house. at the very edge of my property line I'm at 160 MBPS outdoors.

I haven't been able to connect every device that was previously connected - so, I'll have to hold my thoughts on whether this solved my problems - but I'm thinking it's looking good.
Home running dedicated APs and crafting channels/output power will always be better than any mesh. Glad its working out.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Home running dedicated APs and crafting channels/output power will always be better than any mesh. Glad its working out.
My question is - how do I go about optimizing what is now there? I know you can turn the signal strength up, etc - but is there anyway to check if they're overlapping? How much they're overlapping? etc?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Proper channel selection depends on channel width and all the noisy neighbors around you. At 2.4Ghz, non-overlapping 20Mhz wide channels are channels 1, 6, and 11. At 5ghz, none overlap at 20Mhz but you really want to run 40Mhz wide or more at 5Ghz so there are some that will overlap once you go above 20Mhz wide. You can even use DFS frequencies which I do for all my 5ghz stuff. Most cheap consumer combo router/APs won't broadcast in the DFS range so air is always clean there for dedicated APs like the Unifi's.

Channel Planning Best Practices for Better Wi-Fi
Designing a Dual-Band Wireless Network | MetaGeek

Best to download a Wifi analyzer on your phone so you can see what other APs are broadcasting in your area as well.

Properly designing a good robust WiFi network takes some work but pays off when you do it right.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Proper channel selection depends on channel width and all the noisy neighbors around you. At 2.4Ghz, non-overlapping 20Mhz wide channels are channels 1, 6, and 11. At 5ghz, none overlap at 20Mhz but you really want to run 40Mhz wide or more at 5Ghz so there are some that will overlap once you go above 20Mhz wide. You can even use DFS frequencies which I do for all my 5ghz stuff. Most cheap consumer combo router/APs won't broadcast in the DFS range so air is always clean there for dedicated APs like the Unifi's.

Channel Planning Best Practices for Better Wi-Fi
Designing a Dual-Band Wireless Network | MetaGeek

Best to download a Wifi analyzer on your phone so you can see what other APs are broadcasting in your area as well.

Properly designing a good robust WiFi network takes some work but pays off when you do it right.
Have an app you recommend? Finding a lot - but nothing that I can find analyzes channel usage around me.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
On my Samsung Galaxy I have Wifi Analyzer Pro and WiFi Monitor. Both in the Play Store. I can't remember if I paid for them or not but I'm sure they have free versions as well if I did.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Once I do that - does it move the channels for me? or I need to move them myself?
You should assign the channels manually. Don't let the controller do it for you. It will change channels on its own at random times if it thinks it needs to. Better to assign them yourself after looking at the RF spectrum.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should assign the channels manually. Don't let the controller do it for you. It will change channels on its own at random times if it thinks it needs to. Better to assign them yourself after looking at the RF spectrum.
Lets chat about this real quick, if you dont mind (newbie here) - See the below screenshots - where would you recommend I stick this traffic and how do I go about blocking/directing traffic to these channels in the Unifi Interface?

Upstairs:
Upstairs 2G.JPGUpstairs 5G.JPG
Downstairs:
downstairs 2G.JPGdownstairs 5G.JPG
Backyard:
Backyard 2G.JPGBackyard 5G.JPG

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will say - poking around in this unifi UI is pretty awesome -I like how they have pictures of every single device I have - even my wifi sprinkler controller.

anddddd.. I think that is it, I think I've connected all the wifi devices in the house - I'll monitor for a couple days and update everyone if this helped or not.. right now my cell phone is measuring 145MBPS download speed off WiFi a couple rooms away from the AP.

Mapping.JPG

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t care for those channel utilization graphs. Its hard to tell how much the channels are loaded from those things.

Download an app and look at the signal strength/AP overlap. There will be lots of APs on 2.4Ghz unless you are out in the country. If you see tons of APs on 1, go to 6. If you see tons of APs on 6 then try 1 or 11, etc...

You will have lots more room at 5Ghz.

You dont really direct traffic. Clients connect to the AP in range that has the highest signal strength. What you want to do is turn down the transmit power of all your APs to the lowest setting that gives you coverage but no real coverage overlap between any APs. That way as you move about your house, your clients will disconnect from the faintest AP and reconnect to a closer/higher signal level one.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on your screenshots, my recommendations would be:

Location2.4GHz Channel5 GHz channel
Upstairs6VHT40 / DFS 62
Downstairs11VHT40 / DFS 102
Backyard1VHT40 / DFS 118

I'm not sure if DFS might have any compatibility issues with client devices, and I think the way DFS works the radio will be forced to pick a different channel if it detects any radar or something using the channel. The GUI doesn't make it obvious how this will be handled. Also the GUI doesn't handle the different channel widths very well when it comes to selecting one. At least in my UniFi version which I have not updated in a while, when I pick a different channel width it does not change what is listed in the dropdown list for channel number.