Liberty Safes... Are They Safe? (The "Government Backdoors" Concern) : DeviantOllam

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wayne Winton Locksmith and safe technician comments on Liberty Safe gives FBI combination to safe
Sep 8, 2023
Wayne Winton Locksmith

Wayne Winton Locksmith and safe technician comments on Liberty Safe gives FBI combination to safe, override codes, master codes and super master codes. Gun safe override code, bypass code or master codes or back door code.

Last edited:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hah! Just read through this thread. Dang, if it weren't for that boating accident a while back when I lost all my guns and PMs, I'd be changing locks to something where "I" can make the combination what "I" want it to be... ;)

Reaction score
On Friday, I sent an email to Joyce Kaufman, a conservative radio talk show host on WFTL 850 here in south Florida whose sponsor, among others, is Liberty Safe of South Florida. Her email is joyceradio@gmail.com

The email was very friendly and just suggested that she do her own research on this Liberty Safe fiasco. By the end of her hour show, she said that she was going to look into one of her sponsors and let us know her opinion, at a later date.

It will be interesting to hear her response. Will money win out or will values? Only time will tell…

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The Feds? Yes eventually.
But I’d rather some 3rd party vendor not make it easy for them.

I mean what if they take my bottle cap collection and expensive plush cat toys?

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree I'm just saying...

I see two outcomes here if the gov't wants to get in..
1. You open it and have a safe that works
2. You swap out everything and they eventually hire a guy to chop it up and gain access. Which cost you money to swap everything then you end up with an inoperable safe.

I'm really curious what they were looking for in this guys safe..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I look at it the same way as say Apple giving out my private text messages or the mailman giving the Feds my mail to open, or the grocery store giving them the list of shit I bought.

If the Feds have the cooperation of every entity that provides me a product or service to examine every iota of personal stuff for alleged trespassing or jaywalking (remember that whole innocent until proven guilty thing?) I have zero personal privacy, nada.

I suppose nowadays people are so conditioned to accept lack of personal privacy that they no longer question it. Very 1984-like to me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I look at it the same way as say Apple giving out my private text messages or the mailman giving the Feds my mail to open, or the grocery store giving them the list of shit I bought.

If the Feds have the cooperation of every entity that provides me a product or service to examine every iota of personal stuff for alleged trespassing or jaywalking (remember that whole innocent until proven guilty thing?) I have zero personal privacy, nada.

I suppose nowadays people are so conditioned to accept lack of personal privacy that they no longer question it. Very 1984-like to me.
Which brings this back up....and I wonder about the status.... :idk::mad:

ToddB

n3wb
Reaction score
Everyone is asking if they have codes for the mechanical locks... yes, they do - I bought my Liberty Safe around 2008 and it came with a mechanical lock, and it was no secret that Liberty kept a copy of the combination and that if needed, we could contact them, provide proof of ownership, and they would release it. I've also had manual safes around my office that people lost keys to and I was able to contact the manufacturers and get replacement keys, so this is nothing out of the ordinary IMO.

Luckily - since then, I upgraded the lock using an authorized representative of Liberty so 1) My warranty is unaffected and 2) They don't know the master code because the installer did zero programming - he just handed it to me with the manual to program myself.

The combination thing doesn't bother me much - honestly the feds will get in if they want - just like they did in Trump's office... I don't love that they made it so easy, but I can let that go. That said, all this new info about them being bought out by leftists - that will probably keep me away from them in the future - but that's not who I bought from - and I must say, their service has been exceptional. In the 16 or so years I've had this thing, I've needed warranty service twice and it was handled super fast by well qualified individuals at zero cost or headache to me.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone is asking if they have codes for the mechanical locks... yes, they do - I bought my Liberty Safe around 2008 and it came with a mechanical lock, and it was no secret that Liberty kept a copy of the combination and that if needed, we could contact them, provide proof of ownership, and they would release it. I've also had manual safes around my office that people lost keys to and I was able to contact the manufacturers and get replacement keys, so this is nothing out of the ordinary IMO.

Luckily - since then, I upgraded the lock using an authorized representative of Liberty so 1) My warranty is unaffected and 2) They don't know the master code because the installer did zero programming - he just handed it to me with the manual to program myself.

The combination thing doesn't bother me much - honestly the feds will get in if they want - just like they did in Trump's office... I don't love that they made it so easy, but I can let that go. That said, all this new info about them being bought out by leftists - that will probably keep me away from them in the future - but that's not who I bought from - and I must say, their service has been exceptional. In the 16 or so years I've had this thing, I've needed warranty service twice and it was handled super fast by well qualified individuals at zero cost or headache to me.
Welcome @ToddB

Did you see the videos I referred above ?

Do you now have an electronic lock ?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I prefer the old combination dial, myself. We had a larger electronic keypad safe at work that IT dept. kept important backups and paperwork in. It worked great, until it didn't. They got locked out, due to the circuit board inside going tits up. New battery, didn't make a difference. Banging on it with a hammer? Didn't make any difference. We finally had to lug the thing out of the server room, take it to the maintenance dept. and cut the back end of it out......that is the weakest point in the whole safe. A rotary cutter, hammer and chisel, a shop vac to suck out all of the busted up plaster out of the back wall and a pry-bar ripped that sucker open like a tuna can. 15 minutes tops. Never did get the front door open on it. We be safe crackers.....:thumb:

Reaction score
In the 16 or so years I've had this thing, I've needed warranty service twice and it was handled super fast by well qualified individuals at zero cost or headache to me.
I have four safes with rotary combinations for over 20 years. One even shipped to Nigeria and back. Never had I needed service on any of them. None of my friends have ever had to have a safe serviced. Your experience alone would keep me away from Liberty.

oguruma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll say it's pretty messed up that Liberty gave them a backdoor without even being legally required to. I'll also say that Liberty Safes, and pretty much any RSC, would be very easy to break into. Most of the consumer, "RSC" safes are just mild sheet metal. A sawz-all could cut the top off of one of them in about 30 seconds. I have a cheap RSC type safe that's built the same way that most of the Liberty Safes are, and it has 3 deadbolts that secure the door. I could, in probably less than an hour, pry the door apart and gain access to the contents.

Now, even though it's morally repugnant that Liberty gave them the code to open the safe, I'll say that from a strictly practical point-of-view, it was actually within the owner's best interest that they gained access to the safe that way, instead of damaging the safe (which law enforcement will do, and will decide they're not liable for the damage).

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll say it's pretty messed up that Liberty gave them a backdoor without even being legally required to. I'll also say that Liberty Safes, and pretty much any RSC, would be very easy to break into. Most of the consumer, "RSC" safes are just mild sheet metal. A sawz-all could cut the top off of one of them in about 30 seconds. I have a cheap RSC type safe that's built the same way that most of the Liberty Safes are, and it has 3 deadbolts that secure the door. I could, in probably less than an hour, pry the door apart and gain access to the contents.

Now, even though it's morally repugnant that Liberty gave them the code to open the safe, I'll say that from a strictly practical point-of-view, it was actually within the owner's best interest that they gained access to the safe that way, instead of damaging the safe (which law enforcement will do, and will decide they're not liable for the damage).
Just don't forget the shop vac. They all use 2" of poured plaster between the outer and inner wall to give them their 25 minute fire rating. That is where all of the weight comes from, too. The mild sheet metal clad is just for looks. The front door and pins is the toughest part on them. We just layed the safe on it's front door, took the cutoff wheel and quickly cut the back end outer clad off. Then we chiseled all the plaster out of the cavity and sucked it out with a shop vac. Took a step bit, drilled a large diameter hole on the inside sheet metal and then finished it off with a sawsall. Didn't want to catch IT's precious documents on fire with the cutoff wheel.

oguruma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems pretty stupid to not just respond with a request for a subpoena, with the only reasonable exception being someone locked in a safe because some store forgot to put it in demo mode.
Well, for situations like that, it's probably best to let natural selection run its course.