Long distance camera install guidance

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you go with the BiDi, you only need 1 strand. It runs light in both directions on same strand.

Otherwise you use 2 strands to run data in each direction on separate strands. This is better for longer runs (in the 10,000 ft + range) and lots of connections (more than 6 or 8) as you dont have to worry about back refelections as the light level drops.

Single strand fiber is called simplex, 2 strand is duplex. I used duplex to give me 1 strand for use with my BiDi setup and a backup strand.

I'd say 2 minimum. If you are worried about breaking strands in the conduit pull or want to expand more cameras in the future, get 4.

Not all strand counts are available in all jacket types.

Oversize your conduit to make the pull easier. Use lots of lube

Last edited:

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lots of jacket options and range of cost.

I went with the $0.26/ft PVC it's relatively delicate, but I was careful with my 450ft pull. And I'm cheap and was willing to take the risk.

Call Stonewall, ask them - with a 1000ft pull, what they would recommend

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is finished! After a couple of months of off and on work the ditches have been dug and covered, everything is in the ground, the wire and fiber have been pulled, the camera is mounted and it all works as designed. Thank you to everyone who chimed in and gave suggestions. The camera is down the hill 1000' from the house.

This biggest issue was pulling three 1st grade pencil size wires through a 308' section 1" conduit. Was that ever a challenge. I installed that conduit 13 years ago, but never imagined at the time I would be putting all that much wire into it. Should have been at least a 1.5 inch or preferably a 2". I'll know better next time.

I'm still working on camera settings for the best results. Some of the options are kind of cryptic so I'm sorting through those. The auto tracking works ok, I just wish it would zoom out a little when the target gets closer to the camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Should have been at least a 1.5 inch or preferably a 2". I'll know better next time.
This is why I've always (well, as I got older anyway) held the opinion that experience is the best teacher. Books, how-to videos and advice from experienced folks is not a bad thing but getting your hands dirty really sticks in your mind down the road. Lessons earned = lessons learned.

That's why I have boxes full of 69 cent white, schedule 125 PVC elbows, tees, etc.....doing a sprinkler repair and almost done but discovering you have to put down the glue, get in your vehicle, drive 25 miles round trip to the store to get a tee or the like, meanwhile daylight is burning and that 1:30 ball game is coming up in 10 minutes and you didn't record it, or there's a 60% chance of rain, etc. so you grab 2 tee's because you sure as heck don't want to go through that drill again for a 69 cent part...20 years later you've got boxes full of "invaluable" but cheap parts like that. Am I the only one or is it just me?

Great news that you got it done. :headbang:

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you're not. I've got lots of bits and pieces of various items for that very purpose. I did however have to make numerous "burning daylight" trips for a single item to complete this project. The last one was my bag of RJ45 connectors only contained one, I needed two to make the final connection, so off I go.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is finished! After a couple of months of off and on work the ditches have been dug and covered, everything is in the ground, the wire and fiber have been pulled, the camera is mounted and it all works as designed. Thank you to everyone who chimed in and gave suggestions. The camera is down the hill 1000' from the house.

This biggest issue was pulling three 1st grade pencil size wires through a 308' section 1" conduit. Was that ever a challenge. I installed that conduit 13 years ago, but never imagined at the time I would be putting all that much wire into it. Should have been at least a 1.5 inch or preferably a 2". I'll know better next time.

I'm still working on camera settings for the best results. Some of the options are kind of cryptic so I'm sorting through those. The auto tracking works ok, I just wish it would zoom out a little when the target gets closer to the camera.

Nice to see you got it working.

What was the reasoning for not using the best tool for the job (In this case PoE over coax?)

This is my go to:
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-LRP-101C-KIT-Extender-LRP-101CH-LRP-101CE/dp/B01JPJJYBC/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1541342624&sr=8-38&keywords=poe+over+coax

But I am going to start testing this no-name Chinese jobbie as it is cheap as dirt:

https://www.amazon.com/HDView-Ethernet-Adapter-Converter-Receiver/dp/B07CVW6NVG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1541342911&sr=8-6&keywords=poe+over+coax

although the fine print seems to indicate a single pair will be considerably shorter (250m?). Amazon Prime so not a huge gamble for testing!

I have no worries pulling long runs of coax (I can't say the same for cat5e), its hard to find it NOT outdoor rated, coax is inexpensive, coax is durable, and many retrofits have coax already there.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
says it will only handle 600w, might not be enough for a ptz with IR and a heater. Looks like it would work great for a fixed cam.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"says it will only handle 600w, might not be enough for a ptz with IR and a heater. Looks like it would work great for a fixed cam."

Hi
I think that the rating is 600 ma @ 56V... --> 33.6 watts and they conservatively rate the POE output @ 25 watts

The POE adapter is rated as PoE Standard: IEEE 802.3at/af PoE
which is compatible with every PTZ with heater I have ever used... (IEEE 802.3at PoE is higher powered aka PoE+)

Last edited: