Looking for a camera security system.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's the difference between getting a camera vs. an IP camera?

How can I get help with installation? Is there a service that will install for me? Can someone do a site evaluation first?

I know Best Buy's Geek Squad does it. It's $100 for a 90 minute site evaluation. Are there any other options for site evaluation? And then after that, how can I get help with installation? What other installation services are there?

I want at least 6 cameras and a 2TB storage. I don't want a cloud storage subscription. I want local storage.

And I want 24/7 recording, not motion based recording.

I think I'm going to record in 720p so I can get 30+ days of recording, but want the option to record in 1080p too.

Here's what I've researched:

* Companies like Q-See and Lorex can provide an 8 channel camera and DVR/NVR system, but the cameras have to be wired to the DVR. Either using BNC cables, or ethernet cables.

All of the cameras have to be wired to the same DVR, so there's going to be wires everywhere.

Costco has an 8 camera 2TB Q-See package for $400, or a 16 channel, 8 camera 2TB package for $500.

* Companies like Nest and Canary provide wireless cameras, but you have to subscribe to cloud storage to make it worthwhile. They don't offer local storage.

* Arlo provides wireless cameras, and you can provide your own local USB storage.

Product

But you can only connect to 5 cameras for free, and it only records when it detects motion.

* Night Owl has wireless cameras and a wireless DVR.

WNVR201-88P - Wireless IP Cameras - Cameras - Products

But it only records when it detects heat and motion.

Also, the hard drive in that package is only 1 TB. I can get a refurbished 6TB wireless DVR for $500. But this is the most expensive option with that 8 camera and 1 TB package for $950, and I don't like detection based recording, plus I'd have to get the 6TB hard drive to get the capacity I really want (at least 2 TB).

* Also, not available through Costco, but Q-See (first company above) also has a wireless camera, and wireless DVR. But it's only a 4 channel DVR. I want at least 6 cameras. I had to call them to find out this newer option. It's not available on Costco. And the hard drive is only 1 TB.

* LaView has some options too:

6 regular camera system with 2TB ($549):

LaView 1080p HD Home Bullet Camera Surviellance Kit, LV-KN988P84A4-T2

6 IP camera system with 2TB ($899):

LaView LaView 1080P HD Dome Camera Kit 8 Channel NVR

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What's the difference between getting a camera vs. an IP camera?

How can I get help with installation? Is there a service that will install for me? Can someone do a site evaluation first?

I know Best Buy's Geek Squad does it. It's $100 for a 90 minute site evaluation. Are there any other options for site evaluation? And then after that, how can I get help with installation? What other installation services are there?..
Welcome Nuraman,

Definitely do not have bestbuy do this for you. If you need someone to do the installation please look for a local professional security camera system / alarm system installer company, this sort of work is often done by smaller companies. NOTE - if you are looking to reduce the cost of doing this you will have to look at DIY options - plenty of information here to help if you are willing to take some time to read the various posts which have a lot of great information.

Please feel free to check out the notes I made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Lots to learn, and I am still learning.

Good luck

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Stay away from wireless cameras, hardwired much more reliable. When you need something to work 24/7 it makes a difference. Plus its a ton of data to go over your wifi network.

I have one 720p camera, in my garage. It sucks compared to my other cams. But I can see if the cars (and my daughters) are at home or not lol.

The Dahua 2mp Starlight cameras rock, great image day or night. Disk space is cheap, so you can use these and still record 24/7.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
start reading this forum...whatever you do..DO NOT let anyone at bestbuy touch your house..true professionals will run your cables in wall..its 2017 do NOT run coax...run ethernet to each camera.
When you say run cables in wall, does that even apply to ethernet cables? So nothing would be visible inside the house? They could route it from somewhere outside to one of the rooms inside?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stay away from wireless cameras, hardwired much more reliable. When you need something to work 24/7 it makes a difference. Plus its a ton of data to go over your wifi network.

I have one 720p camera, in my garage. It sucks compared to my other cams. But I can see if the cars (and my daughters) are at home or not lol.

The Dahua 2mp Starlight cameras rock, great image day or night. Disk space is cheap, so you can use these and still record 24/7.
Nuraman,

Don't recall if the notes I pointed to you cover this... as Randytsuch points out:
WiFi = unreliable, Wireless completely ( WiFi + battery ) = even more unreliable

If you really need a security camera system you will need to go with a wired solution to get the reliability it requires.

If you do not already have coax wires installed, and you are installing new wiring - you should install cat5e or cat6 cables.

Most of us here prefer IP POE systems for numerous reasons over coax system.

Definitely take some time to read the various posts here to help you determine what you may want to do / install.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the difference between an IP camera and a regular camera?

What are the pros and cons of them?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nuraman,

Don't recall if the notes I pointed to you cover this... as Randytsuch points out:
WiFi = unreliable, Wireless completely ( WiFi + battery ) = even more unreliable

If you really need a security camera system you will need to go with a wired solution to get the reliability it requires.

If you do not already have coax wires installed, and you are installing new wiring - you should install cat5e or cat6 cables.

Most of us here prefer IP POE systems for numerous reasons over coax system.

Definitely take some time to read the various posts here to help you determine what you may want to do / install.
Thanks.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome Nuraman,

Definitely do not have bestbuy do this for you. If you need someone to do the installation please look for a local professional security camera system / alarm system installer company, this sort of work is often done by smaller companies. NOTE - if you are looking to reduce the cost of doing this you will have to look at DIY options - plenty of information here to help if you are willing to take some time to read the various posts which have a lot of great information.

Please feel free to check out the notes I made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Lots to learn, and I am still learning.

Good luck

How much would a company like this charge? Would they do an evaluation first?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When you say run cables in wall, does that even apply to ethernet cables? So nothing would be visible inside the house? They could route it from somewhere outside to one of the rooms inside?
Yes ethernet, inside the wall, so nothing is visible...even on finished houses...there are pros that do this for a living with almost no damage...well worth the investment.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I only have one room downstairs that's wired for coax. I don't think the upstairs is wired for coax anymore. What I mean is I don't think the upstairs coax outlet works anymore.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the difference between an IP camera and a regular camera?

What are the pros and cons of them?
Happy to help out, there's a lot of details - quick summary, and super simplified general statement

1) Traditional analog coax camera - cheaper systems, traditionally the DVR would have the smarts - thus the cameras were cheaper but with less features. There are various CCTV standards for lower resolutions, currently 4 standards to pick from for higher resolutions - if you want those higher resolution coax based cameras you will no longer be looking at a "cheap" system.

2) IP POE system - cameras can have significant compute power, allowing for greater functionality, and since the system uses internet standards you have more vendors to pick from for parts of the system. Many people prefer this product type here. In general this will cost you more but give you a better results vs (1).

Yes - like an electrician would do when running an electric line.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Happy to help out, there's a lot of details - quick summary, and super simplified general statement

1) Traditional analog coax camera - cheaper systems, traditionally the DVR would have the smarts - thus the cameras were cheaper but with less features. There are various CCTV standards for lower resolutions, currently 4 standards to pick from for higher resolutions - if you want those higher resolution coax based cameras you will no longer be looking at a "cheap" system.

2) IP POE system - cameras can have significant compute power, allowing for greater functionality, and since the system uses internet standards you have more vendors to pick from for parts of the system. Many people prefer this product type here. In general this will cost you more but give you a better results vs (1).

What's an example of some of the greater functionality?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

@mat200, did I classify these right? First 2 are analog cameras, 3rd one is IP camera?

So if a camera uses a BNC cable, it's analog?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200, did I classify these right? First 2 are analog cameras, 3rd one is IP camera?
Yes you got that right.

So if a camera uses a BNC cable, it's analog?
Used to be that way, however now there is also the option of digital signals over coax. For most of the systems you will see being sold at costco and other retailers - if it is using BNC cables and looks affordable it will be an analog system.

Also look for the term DVR -> analog / coax system
NVR and or IP POE -> network - or internet technology system

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I want to use a HDTV downstairs that would be connected to the NVR, as well as use a monitor upstairs for viewing the cameras, what would be the best way to do that?

Like if I wanted a wall mounted monitor upstairs that I could just turn on and view the cameras. That would be the sole purpose of the upstairs monitor.

I would need to duplicate the HDMI signal from the NVR, right? So that one would go to the TV downstairs, and one to the monitor upstairs?

Would I need something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-SBWD100KIT01-ScreenBeam-Wireless-Transmitter/dp/B009Z8T3K6/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B009Z8T3K6&pd_rd_r=APRK61V40NFAVQ6XDSZC&pd_rd_w=63eSp&pd_rd_wg=wkou0&psc=1&refRID=APRK61V40NFAVQ6XDSZC

Or would there be a "in the wall" solution where they could split and route the cable upstairs?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes you got that right.

Used to be that way, however now there is also the option of digital signals over coax. For most of the systems you will see being sold at costco and other retailers - if it is using BNC cables and looks affordable it will be an analog system.

Also look for the term DVR -> analog / coax system
NVR and or IP POE -> network - or internet technology system
Thanks.