Looking for a Nvr

twooly

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations for a NVR. Currently have the following:

2 - Hikvison PX-IPIR203
2 - Hikvison DS-2CD2032-I

I believe they are the same cameras but wanted to give what shows in the camera UI. At the moment I am just using the built in motion detection on the camera to a NAS. I'd like to move away from that to a dedicated NVR. Things I would like at least 8 channels so I can expand in the future, remote viewing, Poe (but not required since I already have a Poe switch), be able to hook up a montitor so I can see live view better.

Budget obviously the cheaper the better but I'm thinking around the 300 mark.

Thanks in advance

--Todd

achernar

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2 NVR that has been running fine recording five DS-2CD2345-I cameras using H265+ at 10fps, variable bit rate, highest quality, 4MP resolution for a week so far.

I recommend checking this thread for help in deciding between the 8 and 16 channel I series NVRs:

Hikvision NVR 7608NI-I2-8P Reboot

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would agree with the choice of the 7608NI-I2 over the E2 model.

twooly

n3wb
Reaction score
I would agree with the choice of the 7608NI-I2 over the E2 model.
Is there a reason, sorry newbie just trying to understand. I see the DS-7616NI-E2 out there at a good price and from what I can tell it just doesn't have the POE. Now that I think about it I probably don't need the POE just so I don't have to run/move my POE to my office where I want the deivce so I can monitor from there.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any model can come with Poe ports.

Myself as an installer and I have seen others report that the 7608 E2 has issues with live viewing the main stream.

The safe bet is I2.

twooly

n3wb
Reaction score
Any model can come with Poe ports.

Myself as an installer and I have seen others report that the 7608 E2 has issues with live viewing the main stream.

The safe bet is I2.
Ok thanks for the input I appreciate it.

twooly

n3wb
Reaction score
What are some of the trusted AliExpress vendors looks like the link for the 8 and they are out. Just doing a search across the board I see prices ranging from 185 - 385. Also just confused in general as I read more about if it will even work since I'm not 100% sure if my cameras are hacked English or not, still trying to read up on that to figure that out.

What are the thoughts on this one?
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/recorders/nvrs/nsn-616-16-channel-hi-def-nvr-recorder.html

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
playing around with ali express is like playing Russian roulette purchase something from one of the vendors on the forum knowing its state side and will handle the issue if something comes up.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jason J.

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have this unit as well. I actually like it a lot EXCEPT for one deal breaker, while I have never experienced the NVR itself freezing, I do experience constant picture freezing in single camera view with the i-VMS client...

I got this unit through an authorized distributor for a client, so it's an official American model with a HDD factory installed. I'm using it with the following cameras: (6) DS-2CD2032-I 3MP Hikvision cameras, and (1) DS-2CD2632F-I 3MP Varifocal Hikvision camera for a total of 7 cameras. Installing everything and setting everything up was a breeze. The image from the cameras is very good in my opinion. The i-VMS 4200 client works really well, the i-VMS 4200 client for android is nice too (except you can't zoom in as far as I can tell). The web interface is OK.

Here's the one issue that has been causing me countless hours of extra labor trying to figure out: When viewing the cameras in the i-VMS client in 9 camera (or a custom 7 camera mode) everything works fine. These views use the lower resolution substream. When I double click on a camera to put it into single camera view to view the high res main stream, the image typically tends to freeze as the client switches from sub stream to main stream. Sometimes the stream will eventually start playing, sometimes it will sit there frozen (on a low res view) indefinitely. Sometimes it works completely fine. It is no particular camera, and no particular time. It is seemingly completely random. When I use the web client, I get the same result. I have used 4 different computers now all with the same result. On the live view of the NVR itself hooked up to HDMI it never seems to do this (although I'm not 100% certain that the live view uses the main stream).

I am an IT professional with a good knowledge of surveillance systems so I proceeded to eliminate all the variables that make sense. Here is the long list of all the things I have tried to remedy it:

* Use different computers
* Switched out Ethernet cables (except for the camera runs)
* Used a new high end router (this is on the LAN so it's only using the switch anyways)
* Connected directly to the NVR itself via Ethernet
* Upgraded NVR and Camera firmwares
* Restarted NVRs and Cameras several times
* Factory defaulted cameras, NVR, and re initialized HDD several times
* Reinstalled client software and Internet Explorer plugin.
* Spent hours trying different resolutions, bitrates, and I-Frame settings.
* Set camera main stream and sub streams to lowest resolution and bitrate (to eliminate possibility of the NVR not being able to process 3MP feeds or high bitrates)
* Switched cameras around on different network ports on NVR
* REPLACED NVR, same issue.

I spent several hours with Hikvision Tech support which was rude, condescending, and worse yet was trying to hose-and-close me. They were running through a list of non-NVR issues (such as not enough Internet bandwidth which I told him that this is on LAN, that it is a bad switch/router which I told him I have the same issue when plugged directly into the NVR, even going so far as telling me I had too many TCP connections open on the computer of which there were only 40ish which is nothing, they can get up into the thousands.) They were even remotely connected to the client computer. Thank god I am an I.T. professional and knew about all the B.S. issues that would not be the case, as I assume they deal with mostly surveillance installers who do not have such a strong I.T. background and just do this to get people off the phone. In short they would not admit that the NVR was at fault and I had to demand an RMA number. I got a new unit and had the same issues immediately, so I'm not sure where to go next. I do not remember experiencing anything like this when I installed the system, and the client complained about this a few weeks after installation. Are all 7 of my cameras bad?

My client is pissed, frustrated, and wants me to return this unit and buy another brand altogether.

I have searched all over the Internet and cannot find any other people experiencing this same issue. Has anyone here experienced this?

Does anyone have success with another 8 channel NVR that supports 3MP cameras?

Apologies for the long post, but I like to be thorough..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
freezing when switching from substream to main stream is typically a graphics issue on the client side, do these client computers have any h264 video hardware in em?

what happens if you kick back the bitrate/fps of the main streams, does it get better? is the client/plugin pegging a cpu or anything?

Jason J.

n3wb
Reaction score
I turn on Hardware Decoding on the client, there is no specific H.264 decoding hardware in any of the computers, just the video card GPU. I have turned both the main and sub streams to their absolute lowest setting, and it actually seems to make it worse. On the main computer that the client is used on, the CPU will top out at about 40 percent. It is a nice 8 core CPU. On my laptop, it can peg out. Here's what's weird.. when you watch on multiple computers at the same time, the freezing will happen at the exact same time, and if the stream kicks back in, that will happen at the same time too.

Unless there's a problem with all 7 cameras, I am at a loss.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I turn on Hardware Decoding on the client, there is no specific H.264 decoding hardware in any of the computers, just the video card GPU. I have turned both the main and sub streams to their absolute lowest setting, and it actually seems to make it worse. On the main computer that the client is used on, the CPU will top out at about 40 percent. It is a nice 8 core CPU. On my laptop, it can peg out. Here's what's weird.. when you watch on multiple computers at the same time, the freezing will happen at the exact same time, and if the stream kicks back in, that will happen at the same time too.

Unless there's a problem with all 7 cameras, I am at a loss.
Are you pulling a stream from the camera to more than one pc/device at a time?

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This happens to me also. If I turn the fps or bitrate down to 3mp from 4 or turn quality to medium/low things get better. I've got an i5-4690k with 32gb memory and a gtx 1070. The CPU isn't being taxed when the image hangs.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
* Upgraded NVR and Camera firmwares
To what version from what version (NVR)?
Judging from the many posts about problems with this specific 7608NI-I2 model there seems to be some weakness in the design.
Initially with the 3.4.80 firmware, the RAM allocation between the DSP and the CPU was such that Linux was hitting too many out-of-memory conditions forcing reboots.
Hikvision have just issued a bugfix release for the 3.4.90 firmware, version 3.4.91, info here : Updated NVR firmware published NVR_K41_BL_EN_STD_V3.4.91_161220
If you haven't tried this already it would be worth doing. For the 7608NI-I2 it would be the K51 version.