Looking for a recommendation.

srd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

New to IP cameras and was hoping I could get some advice for what I'm looking for. I've been reading through the forums and find I'm not going to learn it all over night.

• I am looking for a camera that covers the entrance to my driveway, about 25'-90' out is the range from where deliveries pull up. I don't need to see clearly out to 10' as this is going on one corner of the house which has a wide open view.
  • I'd also like to be able to see that distance at night as I get lots of coyotes, deer, etc... this is out in the country along an FM road, no street lights.
  • I don't really care to have to pan, tilt, and zoom in on plates and faces, it's more about knowing someone has pulled up, yet see clearly. This is not for surveillance.
  • POE, don't care about audio, thinking low-light conditions would be good.
  • I'm paranoid w/ security. Would like regular sw updates to any of the hw.
  • Would like open standards compliant for flexibility down the road.

Right now, I'd be fine with simple, and looking to buy one camera to try things out. My understanding is I can just attach a monitor to an NVR and view while I work. And NVR's appear cheap at $250-$300 for an 8 channel w/ 2 TB's. That's about as big as I need, really don't even need a hard drive at this point. NVR's are also cheaper than the hw I put in my NUC's, so why waste a NUC on just streaming. Besides, smaller single board computers are hard to come by now. That's my thinking for getting an NVR and not needing detection. I'd really like to have quality hw, I understand getting what you pay for.

Is my thinking correct on the NVR? Thoughts on the type of camera to buy?

Any help, much appreciated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

New to IP cameras and was hoping I could get some advice for what I'm looking for. I've been reading through the forums and find I'm not going to learn it all over night.

• I am looking for a camera that covers the entrance to my driveway, about 25'-90' out is the range from where deliveries pull up. I don't need to see clearly out to 10' as this is going on one corner of the house which has a wide open view.
  • I'd also like to be able to see that distance at night as I get lots of coyotes, deer, etc... this is out in the country along an FM road, no street lights.
  • I don't really care to have to pan, tilt, and zoom in on plates and faces, it's more about knowing someone has pulled up, yet see clearly. This is not for surveillance.
  • POE, don't care about audio, thinking low-light conditions would be good.
  • I'm paranoid w/ security. Would like regular sw updates to any of the hw.
  • Would like open standards compliant for flexibility down the road.

Right now, I'd be fine with simple, and looking to buy one camera to try things out. My understanding is I can just attach a monitor to an NVR and view while I work. And NVR's appear cheap at $250-$300 for an 8 channel w/ 2 TB's. That's about as big as I need, really don't even need a hard drive at this point. NVR's are also cheaper than the hw I put in my NUC's, so why waste a NUC on just streaming. Besides, smaller single board computers are hard to come by now. That's my thinking for getting an NVR and not needing detection. I'd really like to have quality hw, I understand getting what you pay for.

Is my thinking correct on the NVR? Thoughts on the type of camera to buy?

Any help, much appreciated.
Welcome @srd

A lot depends on your budget, if looking for a non ptz camera, many like the Dahua 4MP cameras with the 1/1.8" sensors .. look for one that gives you the best "zoom" .. ( seems to be a good price / performance value for many here ,.. EmpireTecAndy is the preferred source for such a camera )

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Start by reading the Cliff Notes.

:welcome:

When I came here was planning on Hikvision and NVR. After lots of research decided on Dahua (EmpireTech) and Blue Iris.

Been recording 24/7/365 for over a year, 100% happy, would not change if I could go back and do it over which says a lot.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

The use you describe is definitely surveillance oriented. One camera will not be able to do everything you want to do, or at least do it all very well. As an aside, reading license plates requires a dedicated camera used for nothing else.

You say you don't need a hard drive but the NVR has a hard drive.

A NUC is not an appropriate host for streaming video. Remember the stream of a video camera doesn't buffer like watching a YouTube or NetFlix video does. It is an unrelenting stream that never, ever buffers. That is also why it should not go through a router, but only through a switch or NVR.

In terms of a camera I think you will be best served with a varifocal camera to start with. A varifocal is designed to be set at a specific focal length and left there. Most provide a range of ~3-~12mm which should work in your situation. Even with 12mm you will not be able to [positively identify at night but will be able to see enough detail to make out a "what is going on" at 70-100 feet. Have a look at this one and I would say to buy a Dahua NVR to go with it. Cameras and NVR should come from the same manufacturer for the best compatibility.

You can contact Andy at EmpireTech directly or use his Amazon store or Alibaba store. He is very reliable and stands behind what he sells. In terms of update, NVRs and cameras don't get a lot of them and normally don't need them. If you buy from Andy he posts updates here and usually has them well ahead of what is available publicly and is sometimes made specifically to address issues found by members of IPCT.

Andy
IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

srd

n3wb
Reaction score

The use you describe is definitely surveillance oriented. One camera will not be able to do everything you want to do, or at least do it all very well. As an aside, reading license plates requires a dedicated camera used for nothing else.

You say you don't need a hard drive but the NVR has a hard drive.

A NUC is not an appropriate host for streaming video. Remember the stream of a video camera doesn't buffer like watching a YouTube or NetFlix video does. It is an unrelenting stream that never, ever buffers. That is also why it should not go through a router, but only through a switch or NVR.

In terms of a camera I think you will be best served with a varifocal camera to start with. A varifocal is designed to be set at a specific focal length and left there. Most provide a range of ~3-~12mm which should work in your situation. Even with 12mm you will not be able to [positively identify at night but will be able to see enough detail to make out a "what is going on" at 70-100 feet. Have a look at this one and I would say to buy a Dahua NVR to go with it. Cameras and NVR should come from the same manufacturer for the best compatibility.

You can contact Andy at EmpireTech directly or use his Amazon store or Alibaba store. He is very reliable and stands behind what he sells. In terms of update, NVRs and cameras don't get a lot of them and normally don't need them. If you buy from Andy he posts updates here and usually has them well ahead of what is available publicly and is sometimes made specifically to address issues found by members of IPCT.

Andy
IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply, however, I don't seem to have made my point clear. I was not looking to zoom in in plates and faces and such. As to being paranoid about security, that was in reference to the software updates, network security. So I'm really not looking to do surveillance.

And thanks for your suggestions, I'll certainly check those links out.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

srd

n3wb
Reaction score
Start by reading the Cliff Notes.

When I came here was planning on Hikvision and NVR. After lots of research decided on Dahua (EmpireTech) and Blue Iris.

Been recording 24/7/365 for over a year, 100% happy, would not change if I could go back and do it over which says a lot.
Hi Rob2020,

No worries there, Hikvision is one brand I'm learning to stay away from. I mean, I know most all this stuff comes out of China, but some brands are worse than others from a security perspective.

Thanks,

Last edited:

srd

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @srd

A lot depends on your budget, if looking for a non ptz camera, many like the Dahua 4MP cameras with the 1/1.8" sensors .. look for one that gives you the best "zoom" .. ( seems to be a good price / performance value for many here ,.. EmpireTecAndy is the preferred source for such a camera )
Hi mat200,

This is a good point that I struggle with having not have used a cam before. If I can't control the camera's position by pan and tilt, what good will zoom do me as I'll zoom to wherever my camera is pointed and not what I'm looking at.

So, I'm thinking I don't even care to zoom and I'll be fine with just a view of activity in the area. But a clear view, and at night w/ low-light conditions.

Thanks for your comments.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The zoom of a varifocal camera is used to get the exact view you want for a specific location. It is not meant to zoom in and out with on a regular basis the way a PTZ is normally used. You will find that good cameras are not plug and play devices the way they a depicted in media.

Every IP camera is a potential threat if it's exposed to the internet. When attached to an NVR it is on a different subnet, generally in the 10.x.x.x range. The NVR is exposed unless you take measures in your router or firewall to block it or at least limit what ports are open so you can still access it remotely if you want to.

srd

n3wb
Reaction score
The zoom of a varifocal camera is used to get the exact view you want for a specific location. It is not meant to zoom in and out with on a regular basis the way a PTZ is normally used. You will find that good cameras are not plug and play devices the way they a depicted in media.
Well, again, I'm not looking to PT&Z to a specific location. I'm just looking to see what's going on in a general area of coverage.

Reaction score
You want a cam that will cover your driveway from 25 to 90 feet out. At night since there is not much light, you want good IR from the cam.

Below is a still from a Dahua B5442E-Z4E, which is a 4MP cam on a 1/1.8" sensor. It has an 8-32mm varifocal lens so you can set your FOV as you want within that range. The front of the car is 105 feet from the cam which is mounted on the corner of my house on the porch soffit. This view is set at 27mm.

Intersection 2022-05-08 07.45.37.75 PM.jpg

The best practice is to isolate your cams from the internet. This will give you the best security available for the cams. You really do not want to be updating cam firmware unless you have a very good reason, like a new feature is included or bug fix that is causing you problems. Most cam manufacturers really do not update the firmware often.

If you decide to go the NVR route instead of a VMS on a PC (such as BlueIris which is what I run), then pick the same manufacturer for the NVR as the cams you buy. Mixing brands with an NVR can be a problem.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Rob2020,

No worries there, Hikvision is one brand I'm learning to stay away from. I mean, I know most all this stuff comes out of China, but some brands are worse than others from a security perspective.

Thanks,
What makes you think that hikvision is worse than other brands that you are looking at? They are all suspect and you must take the same exact security measures with all of them.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Rob2020,

Thanks,
The risk in using these cameras is no better or worse than any other brand if you have adequately set up and secured your local networks. The number one rule of your network should be no forwarded ports on your router/firewall. The number two rule should be that all IOT crap, CCTV cameras, and other devices do not have access to the internet and should be isolated from the rest of your network. If you follow these two rules, it is nearly impossible for any CCTV camera to be "hacked". It would have to be locally compromised and if your network is secure and the devices are isolated, the chances of this happening are lower than winning the Powerball.