Looking for Feedback on new Dahua components (brand new for me)

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread. I posted yesterday about a Lorex system I was considering ( thread here: Looking for Advice before purchasing new camera system - Please help as I value your opinions. ) and have now decided to take the forum advice and go with a Dahua system from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY

Initially I thought that 4 turrets and 2 bullets would be the way to go but after more reading I'd like to use all 6 turrets (which from my understanding is the recommendation here - less spider webs etc).

Since I will be going running all new cat5e or cat6 wires directly to my basement I will pick up the recommended NVR5216-16p-4ks2 NVR. It is my understanding that the newest firmware will allow my computer to view the WEBUI even if I'm using the ports on the back of the NVR and not a separate POE switch.

I was pretty set on going with 8 MP turrets IPc-HDW5831R-ZE for my entire build but and while I'm still on the fence I'm now leaning towards the 2 MP IPc-HDW5231R-ZE as I've read the nighttime picture is better (I have no streetlights at my house and the outdoor light is minimal).

As of now, I'm thinking of using 2 IPc-HDW5831R-ZE - one near my front door for better identification and one near the stairs of my back deck (both of these locations will have a light nearby - my front door has the usual outdoor light and my deck has a sensor light if anyone walks towards my steps) and then using the 4 IPc-HDW5231R-ZE in the other locations.

I've attached pics at the bottom of this post to give you an idea of what I'm thinking. I am not planning on using junction boxes on the 3 cameras mounted to my wooden soffits. I think I'll wrap the wires in proper tape and keep them fed in the space above the cameras. I do have a question about mounting to the side of my house in picture #4 (yellow circle) - I plan on mounting sideways into the wood and I wasn't sure if I can mount the turret sideways and still get a landscape view or if it would have to be a portrait picture using the IPc-HDW5231R-ZE in that location -or if I would need to pick up a wall mountable PFB203W or not. I realized this camera would be completely exposed to the elements.

This is my first time working with IP Cameras and thanks to all of these threads I feel that I'm on path the learning more and more every day. Thank you for the help along the way. A few questions that I have:

1. Is there any reason for me to run cat6 over cat5e? The straight wire, shielded copper cat6 is quite pricey still and I would need different rj-45 heads for them vs what I have here laying around.

2. Are most of the IVS issues worked out on the NVR5216-16p-4ks2 now? It's hard to tell with the amount of pages/threads I've read. Some of the answers have changed and it's hard to sort out. As opposed to my username, it's not out of laziness I promise.

3. As mentioned above do I need to use OSD on the NVR with the included POE on the NVR or can I use the WEBUI now with the newer firmware if I'm not using a POE switch.

4. Am I missing anything that a newbie should be aware of? I figure by going with all Dahua products I should have a fairly close plug and play system (after setting static ip's etc. for each camera). I will get a purple WD drive for the NVR.

5. How hard is it to change angles and position on these turrents once they are mounted? I plan on using varifocal lens to get the best pic and leaving it be but being short does not allow me to reach too far on a ladder and despite skydiving a few times I prefer to jump out of a plane vs being on a ladder.

Again, if you've read all of this and haven't left yet, thank you. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm here because I respect your opinions as you've all walked this path before me and I'm hoping to pay it forward in the future. I've attached my house pics below.

Thanks again,

Attachments

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread. I posted yesterday about a Lorex system I was considering ( thread here: Looking for Advice before purchasing new camera system - Please help as I value your opinions. ) and have now decided to take the forum advice and go with a Dahua system from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY

Initially I thought that 4 turrets and 2 bullets would be the way to go but after more reading I'd like to use all 6 turrets (which from my understanding is the recommendation here - less spider webs etc).

Since I will be going running all new cat5e or cat6 wires directly to my basement I will pick up the recommended NVR5216-16p-4ks2 NVR. It is my understanding that the newest firmware will allow my computer to view the WEBUI even if I'm using the ports on the back of the NVR and not a separate POE switch.

I was pretty set on going with 8 MP turrets IPc-HDW5831R-ZE for my entire build but and while I'm still on the fence I'm now leaning towards the 2 MP IPc-HDW5231R-ZE as I've read the nighttime picture is better (I have no streetlights at my house and the outdoor light is minimal).

As of now, I'm thinking of using 2 IPc-HDW5831R-ZE - one near my front door for better identification and one near the stairs of my back deck (both of these locations will have a light nearby - my front door has the usual outdoor light and my deck has a sensor light if anyone walks towards my steps) and then using the 4 IPc-HDW5231R-ZE in the other locations.

I've attached pics at the bottom of this post to give you an idea of what I'm thinking. I am not planning on using junction boxes on the 3 cameras mounted to my wooden soffits. I think I'll wrap the wires in proper tape and keep them fed in the space above the cameras. I do have a question about mounting to the side of my house in picture #4 (yellow circle) - I plan on mounting sideways into the wood and I wasn't sure if I can mount the turret sideways and still get a landscape view or if it would have to be a portrait picture using the IPc-HDW5231R-ZE in that location -or if I would need to pick up a wall mountable PFB203W or not. I realized this camera would be completely exposed to the elements.

This is my first time working with IP Cameras and thanks to all of these threads I feel that I'm on path the learning more and more every day. Thank you for the help along the way. A few questions that I have:

1. Is there any reason for me to run cat6 over cat5e? The straight wire, shielded copper cat6 is quite pricey still and I would need different rj-45 heads for them vs what I have here laying around.

2. Are most of the IVS issues worked out on the NVR5216-16p-4ks2 now? It's hard to tell with the amount of pages/threads I've read. Some of the answers have changed and it's hard to sort out. As opposed to my username, it's not out of laziness I promise.

3. As mentioned above do I need to use OSD on the NVR with the included POE on the NVR or can I use the WEBUI now with the newer firmware if I'm not using a POE switch.

4. Am I missing anything that a newbie should be aware of? I figure by going with all Dahua products I should have a fairly close plug and play system (after setting static ip's etc. for each camera). I will get a purple WD drive for the NVR.

5. How hard is it to change angles and position on these turrents once they are mounted? I plan on using varifocal lens to get the best pic and leaving it be but being short does not allow me to reach too far on a ladder and despite skydiving a few times I prefer to jump out of a plane vs being on a ladder.

Again, if you've read all of this and haven't left yet, thank you. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm here because I respect your opinions as you've all walked this path before me and I'm hoping to pay it forward in the future. I've attached my house pics below.

Thanks again,
Nice house. I already send you a long emails yesterday, check your private message. Thanks .

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hi Toolazy4login

Re 1: I used both Cat5e and Cat6 when I did my install. Both unshielded ( UTP ). I used cat5e for when I needed to put multiple cables into a 1/2" EMT pipe as the cables were thinner. Cat6 I used had thicker wires ( solid copper ), and I also used it for wiring up some inside the home ethernet jacks. Some here like shielded cables for areas which have more electrical storms. iirc we've detailed more info on cat5e/cat6 in the notes giomania put together.
IF you are only buying one box of cat6/5e cable - then I would get the cat6 if UTP as it is only a bit more than cat5e and you can use it for other locations where the greater speeds may make a difference.

Re 2: Firmware updates for the NVR have taken care of many of the issues reported here by members iirc.

Re 3: OSD - On Screen Display is available with an attached monitor and mouse ( no keyboard for these ). You can also use webui on the LAN.

Re 4: Please see giomania's notes - we've attempted to cover a lot there. Most important - test your locations, pull extra cable, bench test cameras and kit before installing, double check your wiring in the RJ45 plug before crimping, follow recommendations to weather proof connections.

Re 5: Turrets easy to change angles IF you can easily access the camera ( you will need to loosen a set screw, not too hard if you've got a good ladder )

Have fun getting this up and going, I think you'll enjoy the results in the end - it's a quality kit you're getting.

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice house.
I am going for the nvr without poe.
And the 8p dahua switch, Andy has.
Thats a personal choice. For the main, i think with poe nvr is better. You can always buy a poe switch and not use the poe of the nvr.

Cat5e wil work fine. I use cat6 ftp. Foiled twisted pair, because it was not much more expensive in the Netherlands.
100m cat6 ftp 100% copper solid price 80usd. 305m price 173usd.

Have too use shielded connectors for cat6.
So can also use stranded cat5e and normal connectors.

Be sure too use 100% copper, i use solid cable awg24. The stranded is mostly awg26. Use the right connectors for the solid cable, is different then the stranded.

I'm going too try the 5831r-ze, think i have enough light. Looks dark to me at your side.... I would use the 5231r-ze starlight model. If I don't like the performance of the 8mp in dark, maybe I will try the 2mp starlight then. Hope not :).

Becarefull on the ladder. Hope I did help a bit further.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some of your planned mounting locations are rather high, if you want a chance at all in ID'ing faces, don't mount higher than 8ft.
Always test your locations for at least 24hrs before mounting.
2x4x8', 5gal bucket, sand or rocks.

Don't use stranded wire, use solid copper.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some of your planned mounting locations are rather high, if you want a chance at all in ID'ing faces, don't mount higher than 8ft.
Always test your locations for at least 24hrs before mounting.
2x4x8', 5gal bucket, sand or rocks.

Don't use stranded wire, use solid copper.
Thanks for the feedback. I've attached 2 new pictures. Think these would be better? Believe me I'd prefer moving the 2 cameras on the first attached pic since it would make my life much easier instead of being up on the ladder fishing through soffits into an attic I can't access. I was planning on cutting through the ceiling in my roof in the garage and it would be much easier for me to use the hammer drill and just go through a cinderblock straight into my garage and run from there.

Nice house. I already send you a long emails yesterday, check your private message. Thanks .
Thanks Andy. Yes I received your detailed email with pricing etc and I created this thread to try to get me choose which particular cameras would be most beneficial to me as well and camera placement.

Nice house.
I am going for the nvr without poe.
And the 8p dahua switch, Andy has.
Thats a personal choice. For the main, i think with poe nvr is better. You can always buy a poe switch and not use the poe of the nvr.

Cat5e wil work fine. I use cat6 ftp. Foiled twisted pair, because it was not much more expensive in the Netherlands.
100m cat6 ftp 100% copper solid price 80usd. 305m price 173usd.

Have too use shielded connectors for cat6.
So can also use stranded cat5e and normal connectors.

Be sure too use 100% copper, i use solid cable awg24. The stranded is mostly awg26. Use the right connectors for the solid cable, is different then the stranded.

I'm going too try the 5831r-ze, think i have enough light. Looks dark to me at your side.... I would use the 5231r-ze starlight model. If I don't like the performance of the 8mp in dark, maybe I will try the 2mp starlight then. Hope not :).

Becarefull on the ladder. Hope I did help a bit further.
Thanks I will make sure I have solid 100% copper wire!

Hi Toolazy4login

Re 1: I used both Cat5e and Cat6 when I did my install. Both unshielded ( UTP ). I used cat5e for when I needed to put multiple cables into a 1/2" EMT pipe as the cables were thinner. Cat6 I used had thicker wires ( solid copper ), and I also used it for wiring up some inside the home ethernet jacks. Some here like shielded cables for areas which have more electrical storms. iirc we've detailed more info on cat5e/cat6 in the notes giomania put together.
IF you are only buying one box of cat6/5e cable - then I would get the cat6 if UTP as it is only a bit more than cat5e and you can use it for other locations where the greater speeds may make a difference.

Re 2: Firmware updates for the NVR have taken care of many of the issues reported here by members iirc.

Re 3: OSD - On Screen Display is available with an attached monitor and mouse ( no keyboard for these ). You can also use webui on the LAN.

Re 4: Please see giomania's notes - we've attempted to cover a lot there. Most important - test your locations, pull extra cable, bench test cameras and kit before installing, double check your wiring in the RJ45 plug before crimping, follow recommendations to weather proof connections.

Re 5: Turrets easy to change angles IF you can easily access the camera ( you will need to loosen a set screw, not too hard if you've got a good ladder )

Have fun getting this up and going, I think you'll enjoy the results in the end - it's a quality kit you're getting.
Thank you again for the help. I will look for giomania's notes. I have previously read the "cliff" notes. If there is another document that I'm missing can you please let me know. I looked around for "sticky's" but haven't found any. I'm not being lazy - I definitely don't mind reading information to gather info, I just haven't found it. My gut tells me that you guys are talking about the "cliff notes" that I've found.
I will say that I am thoroughly impressed with what I've read thus far in the forum. There seems to be not only a wealth of information, but a great group of knowledgable, super helpful people that really make this community what it is. I look forward to being part of that community. Thank you again for the help!

Attachments