Looking for Advice before purchasing new camera system - Please help as I value your opinions.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'd like to thank you in advance for taking the time to help me on what I consider a very important decision to make.

My goal is to install a POE camera system for my house. I'd like to have as close to 360 degree protection as possible if possible. I plan on running my own cat 6 outdoor cable to all locations and crimping on the ends.

When I first stated this process (before reading here) I had decided on a Lorex system. ( I know I know please don't stop reading yet and/or judging me!) - I actually thought I had a pretty good deal that they custom built for me.

It consisted of 4 turrets, 2 bullets and their 2 TB / 8 channel NVR for $1470 shipped (no tax to NY)

The 4 turrets of model LNE8974BW ( link here: 4K Ultra HD Resolution 8MP Motorized Varifocal Outdoor IP Audio Dome Camera ) described as 4K Ultra HD Resolution 8MP Motorized Varifocal Outdoor IP Audio Dome Camera

The 2 bullets are LNE8973BW ( link here: 4K Ultra HD Resolution 8MP Motorized Varifocal Outdoor Zoom IP Camera, 250ft Night Vision )
described as 4K Ultra HD Resolution 8MP Motorized Varifocal Outdoor Zoom IP Camera, 250ft Night Vision

The NVR was model NR9082 their newest model with a 2 TB drive ( link here: 8 Channel, 4K NVR with 2TB Hard Drive & FLIR Secure Remote Connectivity )

I do have to admit I thought (and maybe even still do) it was a good deal. I realize there are better systems out there but I'm hoping not to spend over $1500 or so for $1470 I was on target.

If Lorex is truly garbage, then I don't want to waste money and end up buying something again in 2 years. What would you recommend as something just as good, if not better. In other words what would you do. I've taken the time to read the cliff notes on the Google Doc (thank you to all those that contributed to that) and in reading the threads on the forum, I've noticed many of the recommendations a to work with Andy @EMPIRETECANDY on getting some Dahua cameras instead of my initial Lorex decision. I'll have to get in touch with him.

A few questions to the community here:

1. First, I've posted 5 pictures of my house and where I was thinking of placing the cameras. Any suggestions on my chosen locations?

2. The Lorex cameras I was considering are 8MP at 4k resolution and have 4x optical zooms in which I can change the angles on the picture. Are the Dahua Starlights IPC-HDW5831R-ZE my best bet? I'm not looking to need to read license plates. Yes it would be helpful but not a make or break necessity.

3. I really would prefer not to have to have another desktop computer running BI in my basement unless BI is that much better. I'm a little apprehensive about getting BI to work. I'd prefer a standalone unit to function as my NVR if possible.- if I go Dahua do they have an NVR that can record at the proper resolution for 8MP at 4k?

If you're still reading this far, thank you. Seriously, thanks. I know this is a hobby for many of you and I'm glad I made my way over to these forums. I look forward to learning much information here and being part of the community.

1.jpg 2.jpg
3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone...
It consisted of 4 turrets, 2 bullets and their 2 TB / 8 channel NVR for $1470 shipped (no tax to NY)
If Lorex is truly garbage, ..
HI Toolazyforalogin,

Lorex is not garbage - the hardware is good - it is Dahua OEM hardware. During BF-cyber monday/week and through Christmas they had some really nice deals. Those deals have expired btw.

Lorex does remove the IVS functions from their firmware - so if you go with Andy you can get Dahua OEM equipment also, sometimes the cameras are slightly better from Andy as many include a microSD card slot AND with the IVS features. THUS

I would recommend asking Andy for a price quote on similar items

Turret model - IPC-HDW58xx
Bullet model - IPC-HFW58xx
and
NVR5208-8P-4KS2 -> as well as NVR5216-16P-4KS2

Also, a WD Purple HDD 2TB should be about $60 on sale.

A couple of notes, I recommend not using cables that come with the cameras / kits and instead getting better quality cat6 bulk cables.

Also, get the appropriate junction boxes for the cameras - I know Lorex carries ones for the Bullet, however I did not see any listed on their site for the turrets ( which they now are calling domes )

From Andy these models for the junction boxes
PFA121 - for the bullet
PFA130E - for the turret

I recommend getting the 16 port NVR instead of the 8 port, as typically most of us end up wanting to add "just one more"...and often it's the 9th one...

( I think for the price quote you have listed, Andy can get you a better kit in terms of hardware for that price... example 16 port NVR ... )

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI Toolazyforalogin,

Lorex is not garbage - the hardware is good - it is Dahua OEM hardware. During BF-cyber monday/week and through Christmas they had some really nice deals. Those deals have expired btw.

Lorex does remove the IVS functions from their firmware - so if you go with Andy you can get Dahua OEM equipment also, sometimes the cameras are slightly better from Andy as many include a microSD card slot AND with the IVS features. THUS

I would recommend asking Andy for a price quote on similar items

Turret model - IPC-HDW58xx
Bullet model - IPC-HFW58xx
and
NVR5208-8P-4KS2 -> as well as NVR5216-16P-4KS2

Also, a WD Purple HDD 2TB should be about $60 on sale.

A couple of notes, I recommend not using cables that come with the cameras / kits and instead getting better quality cat6 bulk cables.

Also, get the appropriate junction boxes for the cameras - I know Lorex carries ones for the Bullet, however I did not see any listed on their site for the turrets ( which they now are calling domes )

From Andy these models for the junction boxes
PFA121 - for the bullet
PFA130E - for the turret

I recommend getting the 16 port NVR instead of the 8 port, as typically most of us end up wanting to add "just one more"...and often it's the 9th one...

( I think for the price quote you have listed, Andy can get you a better kit in terms of hardware for that price... example 16 port NVR ... )
mat200, thank you for your reply. I did reach out to Andy and his prices are comparable. I will be looking into Dahua components based on what I've read here and concentrate on turrets only after reading suggestions from everyone. It seems like the IPc-HDW5231R-ZE have a better low light picture so I think I will go with 4 of these and just pick up 2 of the IPc-HDW5831R-ZE for best daytime picture near my front door and rear deck steps which have light sources near them.

I will post my future questions in the Dahua subforum. Thank you again for your help.

If you haven’t seen this read through it.

IPCamTalk Cliff Notes 2018-03.docx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks giomania, yes I did read that prior to my posting.

Reaction score
I have a question. I also was looking at those Lorex 4K cameras claiming ~250 ft of nighttime visibility. I couldn't find a single review of those cameras on this site. How do we know they aren't better than the starlight cameras? I appreciate that members of the forum like those cameras, however I'm curious how you know those are better than the top of the line Lorex camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question. I also was looking at those Lorex 4K cameras claiming ~250 ft of nighttime visibility. I couldn't find a single review of those cameras on this site. How do we know they aren't better than the starlight cameras? I appreciate that members of the forum like those cameras, however I'm curious how you know those are better than the top of the line Lorex camera?
because they are dahua 4k cameras....and the sensor is not better than the starlights in low light...the 250f is an outright lie ......you cant even get 250f of usable visibility in the day...lots of users here have both the dahua and lorex branded versions of the same camera..you are in for a world of hurt if you are going to believe everything in the marketing ads..

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Stuart,

Take a look at the comparisons here shown with the Dahua 58xx and 48xx series of cameras to the 52xx and 42xx starlights.

It should give you a good idea of how well the Lorex 4K rebrands of the Dahua OEM 58xx/48xx cameras should perform.

( IPC-HDW48xx/58xx and IPC-HFW48xx/58xx )

Example of a review:
Dahua HDW5831R-ZE review