Looking for LPR software for Blue Iris

steve9380

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what software will work in Blue Iris for license plate reader.

Thank you.

steve9380

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
been trying Openalpr for days and cannot get it to read. So far it has only picked up 2 license plates. I am using a good dahua Z12.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
been trying Openalpr for days and cannot get it to read. So far it has only picked up 2 license plates. I am using a good dahua Z12.
start a thread posting images and details...there are openlpr users who can help you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

ANPR software XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Recognize license plates from many countries in real time without triggers;
Work with different sources: IP cameras, WEB cameras, analog cameras connected through video cards, video files (AVI, MP4) and photos;
Control devices (barriers, lights, etc.);
Send emails and display alarms in user screen on events;
Communicate with GSM device;
Send data with POST or GET commands to your web server;
Has it‘s own web client server;
Much more...
Are you going to spam without disclosing that you work for them or how much the product costs?

Last edited:

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, what a find, this openalpr.com! It's finding and reading the plates on my highly-zoomed Dahua HFW5231EZ5 camera just fine. Free for 2 days of storage. It's not clear whether a new user on a 'Professional trial for 14 days' gets all the features which the free service provides, though, but I am impressed.

LucyM

n3wb
Reaction score

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using Plate Recognizer, is there anyway to mask out an area so it's not detected? PR is picking up parked neighbors cars across the street, maxing out my 2500/month limit very fast. OpenALPR has this feature, but it's a massive resource hog.

LucyM

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris has a bunch of motion detection features you can use to basically "highlight" the area that you want to pick up the photo for LPR. You can also try Zone A to Zone B in your motion detection also. I'm sure there are other BI motion detection experts out there -- of which I'm not one!

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Correct on BI motion detection features, but that does not have an impact on what Plate Recognizer (or OpenALRP) uses to detect a license plate. If there is a readable plate in the picture, both services will attempt to read the plate - regardless on BI's motion settings. The 'Detection Mask' feature in Open ALRP allows you to block out an area of the image from plate detection, looking for a way to do that in PR.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Correct on BI motion detection features, but that does not have an impact on what Plate Recognizer (or OpenALRP) uses to detect a license plate. If there is a readable plate in the picture, both services will attempt to read the plate - regardless on BI's motion settings. The 'Detection Mask' feature in Open ALRP allows you to block out an area of the image from plate detection, looking for a way to do that in PR.
Did you ever get this resolved? I just stumbled upon your thread and wonder if the camera itself doesn't have some kind of privacy mask you can enable...

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No resolution, but have not went back to Plate Recognizer in a while. Should check in with PR to see if there are any new features.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I was just playing around with it over the last few days, and in my application, it is completely useless. I have VERY low vehicle traffic - maybe twice per day (usually UPS and USPS). When I review captures on BI, I can clearly see tags coming and going. However, with the way BI and PR work together, it apparently fires with every trigger (rain drop, shadow, bug, etc). I had over 150 submissions just this morning. Ironically, it did NOT send the very legit image of the mail carrier's vehicle.

What's worse is, I have an overlay at the bottom of my cameras showing date/time/FPS/kBps/temp, etc. Even though I'm recording direct-to-disc - which precludes those overlays being present on playback, apparently the snapshot/alert image that is sent to PR includes the overlay. So, every time it does trigger, it sees the overlay time/date text and tries to do OCR on it. Thus I have a dashboard full of 60-70% confidence scores that a car with the tag 01-18-2020 just drove by. It's a joke.

I'm open to tweak it and give it another try, but I don't see any how-tos or help sections that address any configurations.

1579379424561.png

And, for comparison, this is the image of the same van as it pulled away from the mailbox:

1579379766361.png

Of course, BI didn't send even a single frame with the full vehicle in the view to PR. 150 frames sent. SMH.

Taigar

n3wb
Reaction score
My reply may be a bit late, but you can use zones to capture the right frame.

Just clone the camera, so the original one can capture the whole clip. The cloned camera, you put up 3 zones (or maybe 5). The first zone should include the whole picture. Then you can let Blue Iris trigger when the car moves from the second to the third zone, or fourth to fifth zone.

I have it setup this way, and it works pretty good.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My reply may be a bit late, but you can use zones to capture the right frame.

Just clone the camera, so the original one can capture the whole clip. The cloned camera, you put up 3 zones (or maybe 5). The first zone should include the whole picture. Then you can let Blue Iris trigger when the car moves from the second to the third zone, or fourth to fifth zone.

I have it setup this way, and it works pretty good.
You have plate recognizer setup like this and it works? Do you have the date and time overlays on your cameras and does it keep picking up those numbers as plates? That's the main issue.

Taigar

n3wb
Reaction score
I have disabled the date and time overlays on my cameras. I do not need it, and blue iris remembers the time without overlays.
But if you need the overlay,you can work around the problem. Just clone the camera, en in blue iris, camera settings, video, choose Area of interest. And you can select a part of the image without the overlay.

If you send an image to platerecognizer with overlay, then it is not going to work. But I found it is better to have a separate camera for platerecognizer, because of the short trigger and record times.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have disabled the date and time overlays on my cameras. I do not need it, and blue iris remembers the time without overlays.
But if you need the overlay,you can work around the problem. Just clone the camera, en in blue iris, camera settings, video, choose Area of interest. And you can select a part of the image without the overlay.

If you send an image to platerecognizer with overlay, then it is not going to work. But I found it is better to have a separate camera for platerecognizer, because of the short trigger and record times.
Thanks. I guess I don't need the overlay, I was just thinking if law enforcement ever needed plate captures, it would be good to have the date and time right there.

ALso how in the heck do you select the area of interest? I could never figure out how that works, if I highlight the entire screen, only one row gets it. If I draw one line, the entire screen gets covered. Whats the secret?

Last edited:

Taigar

n3wb
Reaction score
The help file says:
The AOI (area of interest) setting may be used with network IP cameras to select a sub-set
of the camera’s video frame as the video source.

So you enable the AOI, and select a part of the picture. (lets say, almost everything but without the overlay)
Now this part of the picture is used as the video source, the rest of the picture is not used.

If you duplicate your LPR camera, you can use 1 for simple motion triggers, and you can specialize the other for platerecognizer.
The first camera, you display the overlay. That way, you can always use these recordings for law enforcement.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks! Now I think I need to adjust some settings. If my alert shots are only getting the beginning of the vehicle and not where the plate is, do I need to adjust the pre-trigger video buffer or something else?

Taigar

n3wb
Reaction score
I have set the pre trigger time to 0

And 2 small zones in the middle of the picture, the vehicle must go from zone B to zone C.
Zone A is fullscreen, because the movement needs to be in 1 zone all the time. Otherwise blue iris discards it.
1586331039119.png1586331067174.png

This is what works for me, for you it might be different.
I cloned the camera, so I always get the full video of the movement. This way, no footage is lost.

I can help you with some tips, and the helpfile is really helpfull.

Maybe a single zone in the middle of the picture is enough.