Looking for recomendations for an outdoor camera

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't run the cameras through the router. ISP style routers have limited bandwidth capabilities. Run cameras to a switch, run the controlling PC to the switch. Run the switch to the router for local and remote, aggregated, viewing access. Remote access through a VPN.
I've got all my network connections coming into the router, and just one RJ45 cable going to the modem. That all seems like a lot of extra cabling. I use the Web GUI on the cameras directly, don't use Blue Iris or any other controlling program....

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That should work. I temporarily did the same thing until I could get an ethernet wire to the garage. Plugged in powerline adapter in next switch and then to router and then plugged the other powerline adapter in the garage and then a POE switch and out to the cameras.
Whats the consensus for things like these where I only have one camera that needs POE?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ya, the biggest problem I have is that it would require running a lot of cable through a house, punching holes in walls, ceilings, stucco, etc. Not the best at patching.....

Whats the most common setup for houses, have a POE switch at a central location and just run CAT6 cable all over the house?
Let me throw another scenario out there

I have 4 POE IP cameras in the garage. I run RJ45 from each of these cameras to a POE+ switch. I connect the LAN port to a POE access point that is inside the house...would that work?

I really can't justify running RJ45 all around my house through or around the studs in the walls, etc
Hi @jwadsley

I tried to avoid the work to run cat5e/6 cables .. tried various wifi solutions .. and eventually after a lot of frustration just gave in and ran cat5e/6.

With cat5e/6 runs and houses - some houses are easy, some hard. If you plan carefully you can make it easier.

I used bulk cable to minimize any holes.

The Garage is typically a great place to use to open up drywall and run cabling - as you can patch that drywall fairly easily without issues. ( rare to find really nicely finished garages in my experience compared to the living room ).

If you have an attached garage, you can often use it for:
2+ cameras to cover the driveway
1-2 cameras to cover the walkway up to the front door
1-2 cameras to cover the one side of the house

That then leaves you with the other side of the house, the front door, and any backyard cameras.

Some put their network cage / cabinet in the garage for their NVR system. Can do that.. and if you want you can even just have a network switch in the garage and run a couple of cat5e/6 inside the house to another location. Of course you can run the cables all straight to one location - up to you on this one. ( can be fairly easy on some houses )

khirsah

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two Amcrest out door wifi cameras (and their doorbell IP camera), IP3M-943W and IP4M-1028W, both look to be out of stock and probably discontinued.. there is a newer one on Amazon called ASH42-W, have not research it at all.. but I can tell you, WIFI out door cameras are not a great option. The wifi on them is very poor and trying to blast wifi through walls, in my case CBS, is extremely difficult. I run multiple Unifi wifi access points in my house, mainly so that I can place one right next to the wall on the other side of each of these cameras to try and blast wifi through. This works, yet still every day like clockwork at 6pm when everyone in the neighborhood comes home and jumps on wifi AROUND ME, the cameras start to drop off line due to the congestion in the air waves. Lots of transmission failures, and thats with "enterprise" access points. Everyone next door streaming youtube and netflix over 2.5Ghz plus my cameras.. its a mess.. If you want to try something for cheap and see how it goes, wyze cams are pretty crap, but will give you an idea if you can get wifi to work where you want. Video loads over wifi are not at all the same as browsing on your phone... its a constant stream, and it will hammer wifi.. dont invest too much into it before trying I would recommend.

PoE is a more technical problem to solve, but the quality of the video is so much better. Much higher quality images, 4K video at 30fps, crisp bitrates, you can actually see the thing you are trying to record..it doesnt cut out in the rain or afternoons.. worth it.

khirsah

n3wb
Reaction score
I can say, running PoE cameras to a switch, and a mesh wifi bridge from that switch across the house/walls to my main wifi works muuuuuch better than trying to connect multiple wifi cameras to wifi access points. Wifi in cameras is just garbage... but this route is quite a bit more expensive... but you get lots more toys to play with!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I guess I could stack the power line adapter under the POE injector and go that way. Still don't understand why there aren't more cameras with wifi outdoors
Because Wifi sucks for security cameras. and should be avoided.
Stick with POE Hikvision or Dahua cameras, unless you enjoy aggravation.
Its not that hard to run ethernet cable.
Study this: Cliff notes.
Remember, the goal is to know who did it, not just what happened.
I love it, come to ask for advice, then argue with advice given.