Looking for some camera and placement advice advice

sathed

n3wb
Reaction score
Before I get into it, here is what we are thinking. The numbers are the camera numbers. Our thought was that we could get away with 16 cameras.

Camera Locations

I'm leaning towards Hikvision 1080p, 2 MP cameras from Nelly's for the internal cameras, but I'm still not quite sure if that's what I need. Ass for the outside cameras, I have no clue what to get there.

What I'm looking for:
  • Determine which employees are coming and going
  • Determine where employees are currently located
  • Be able to see the parking lot and truck parking.
    • We have probably 100+ semi trucks coming and going every week through here. Sometimes there are fender benders.

Things to note:
  • All of our interior lights are motion activated (if that makes a difference)

The plan:
  • Blue Iris
  • Dell 9020, Haswell i7 4790S, 8 GB RAM, 4 TB WD Purple HDD

Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is my first experience with any type of security cameras and if all goes well, I'll be doing our other location in a neighboring state with a very similar setup (different layout, of course).

Thanks!

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not experienced enough to really answer your question but here are my two cents.

Go ahead and buy a camera (plus a poe switch and roll of cable) or two and hook them up. This will help you see what the image will look like at various locations. You have to run the wires anyway.

I don't think you care if you get an S processor or not. I think S means it caps itself if it runs too high CPU for too long. http://ark.intel.com/compare/80809,80808,80807,80806

The turret cameras are frequently recommended on here. I have a hik 2332 which is 3mp. I see recommendations for 2mp and 4mp more though. Maybe your application warrants a mix of both.

karmadhi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My first suggestion, get an NVR, its gonna be more stable and less trouble. Go for Hikvision USA or Hikvision OEM if you want to save some money. Also go for 8GB WD purple, in my experience Hik NVR and WD purple rarely show any problem. Another thing, better to go for PoE switch, or if you want less troubles go for NVR with built-in POE switch.

For the cameras, go for 3MP Hikvision, you can get 3MP for the same price, or if you want to go with 2MP still you can get cheaper (you can pm me and I'll tell you where). For the lens go with 3.6 mm/2.8mm and for the entrance cameras is better to go for domes. Domes are less intrusive and people can't tell where the camera is pointed at.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My first suggestion, get an NVR, its gonna be more stable and less trouble. Go for Hikvision USA or Hikvision OEM if you want to save some money. Also go for 8GB WD purple, in my experience Hik NVR and WD purple rarely show any problem. Another thing, better to go for PoE switch, or if you want less troubles go for NVR with built-in POE switch.

For the cameras, go for 3MP Hikvision, you can get 3MP for the same price, or if you want to go with 2MP still you can get cheaper (you can pm me and I'll tell you where). For the lens go with 3.6 mm/2.8mm and for the entrance cameras is better to go for domes. Domes are less intrusive and people can't tell where the camera is pointed at.
Blue iris is extremely stable...its is also way more flexible than an NVR, just as stable as any NVR ive used. If someone simply wants basic recording an NVR is great. If you want alerts, custom schedules, the ability to easily enable and disable alerts, use almost any ip camera..blue iris is the way to go.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had taken the forums past recommendations of having a separate switch and the job is much cleaner and easier. This allows you to place a switch at a central strategic location and only need to run one cable from switch to the NVR. Can link as many switches as you go between floor levels. Cant beat this setup in my opinion. Otherwise with a built in POE you run every cams cable to where the NVR is located which can be troublesome.