Loryta IPC-B5442E-Z4E 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR 8mm–32mm Motorized Lens Bullet

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the IR light is on. maybe those don't have a light or license plate. let me monitor more.. bingo!! first one is clear.. this is how it suppose to look right? Thank you agaiin all for all the help.. really appreicated.. i think this is go!!

Attachments

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
let me get a micro SD card so i can put it into the IP cam for recording and export.. Better then the hikvision . the quality is low on the hikvision.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those look much better!

Some cars either don't have front plates or you get a back tag that is paper, dirty, rusty, etc.

That last plate is probably paper. I have caught vehicles going thru at 2am without their lights on (confirmed from an overview color camera) and get the plate just fine.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hard to say, could be something obstructing the plate or a paper plate.. You shouldn't rely on the license plate light, it shouldn't matter. IR reflection is what lights up the plate

Try opening the Iris to 65 or 70...

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd pan the Camera further to the right as well. The cars are almost moving perpendicular to the camera on the left side of frame so you get more motion blur and the image cleans up as the plates get further to the right of frame.

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think this setup is really good. The night mode now is pitch black as to yeterday. Attached is more cars coming in. I'm guessing if a car plate is dirty it will not reflect as bright?
Attached is more license plate capture today..

thank you all again.. fantastic job..

Attachments

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd pan the Camera further to the right as well. The cars are almost moving perpendicular to the camera on the left side of frame so you get more motion blur and the image cleans up as the plates get further to the right of frame.
yeah. unfornately this is the further i can go to the right. if i go any futher there is a tree that block the path..

thank you..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think those look great. Much better than yesterday!

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yeah. unfornately this is the further i can go to the right. if i go any futher there is a tree that block the path..
How far left on the house have you gone? Angle is important. Large angles decrease the apparent width of the plate, make it harder to read, and are probably the reason why your IR performance is so poor. Large angles increase the speed that the plate is moving relative to the camera.

Hopefully I can explain.

If you take an object one metre wide, and then stand at an angle of 60 degrees to that object, it will appear to be 0.5m wide. At 26 Degrees it will appear 0.9 metres wide. This is why we try to get an angle of less than 30 degrees

You can calculate it here.

Have a look at the two captures you posted. The first, from the largest angle on the left hand side of frame.

12-19-2020 2-00-24 PM.png

See how the letters appear all jammed together and the plate and model number are blurry?

Now look at the right hand side of frame.

12-19-2020 2-00-18 PM.png

See how the spaces between the letters are now more defined, the plate is easier to read, and the blur is significantly reduced? Thats because as the angle gets lower the plate is moving at a lower speed relative to the camera, and the apparent size of the plate is higher, two things that improve the ability to read the plate.

Moving on to your IR problems you need to understand how reflective number plates work. Number plates are what they call retro reflective, which means they are designed to reflect light back to the source, however their ability to do that is reduced as the angle increases. It's known as entrance angularity and you can read about it here. What it means is that the greater the angle, the less light that comes back to the source, in this case the camera.

Some options to reduce the angle are move it closer to the street, move it further left on the house, or move it all the way to the right and shoot plates from the other angle. That last one might be worth considering if afternoon sun glare causes you issues with your current angle, and panning to the right is limited by a tree. Shooting across a driveway is a good move generally because it is illegal to park across them but no one said it had to shoot across your driveway. Consider clear angles you might get if you utilised the clear space of a neighbours driveway.

Jomsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think this setup is really good. The night mode now is pitch black as to yeterday. Attached is more cars coming in. I'm guessing if a car plate is dirty it will not reflect as bright?
Attached is more license plate capture today..

thank you all again.. fantastic job..
ENCODING seems to be fixed
Now you can change camera settings and make it tad better

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm no expert here but shouldn't the iframe be the same as the frame rate? He's running 25fps but an iframe of 50. I believe the purpose of an inter frame is to look at the frame before it and the frame after it and predict the pixels that should be shown in areas which are being compressed for example where the detail is being discarded. Isn't there a danger if you have more than 1 iframe per frame then one is looking not at the previous frame but the previous iframe which is already guessed. Couldn't that potentially degrade the accuracy and picture quality? Switching the iframe setting is an easy one to try.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
True, I have seen that also, but seems to be somewhat dependent on exposure settings, maybe it’s more pronounced under certain settings... but you’re right in that the default Dahua setting is 2x FPS

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you are right. It must be an exposure difference between setups as some people get no pulsing with iframe set to fps.

Weird...

Jomsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Much better. But not perfect as you can have much better results. (ENCODING) . Weird thing...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it just seems like there is an issue between the camera and the NVR - it isn't passing that bitrate.