Lost Connection to Service and then client closes

Reaction score
Hello all. Some of you might remember that I posted for some help some time ago relating to performance issues where BI was constantly running at 100% on my 4th gen i7 laptop. Based on members suggestions I have now upgraded to a desktop tower running a i7-6700 with 8gb ram which seem to handle my 14 cameras a lot better now. However since using BI on this new PC I have seen this issue that I have not seen before when using BI on my laptop.

After every 24 hours give or take, I will get this error appear stating "Lost connection to service [2]". As soon as i click OK the BI client would crash. I see the service still run in the background and I still seem to be collecting recordings. But this is very annoying and happens at least once every 24 hours. This never used to happen when I had BI running on a laptop. When I moved to my new PC I exported my config from laptop and imported to the new PC so my settings are all the same.

Since I took this screenshot I reverted back to the last most stable version so I am now on version 5.3.1.6 but the issue is still occurring. Can someone please clarify why this error appears and if there is anything I can do to stop this please?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you either have a driver problem or an allocation problem.

Look at the !!-1.5TT.

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
2) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
3) blue Iris status cameras tab
4) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)

Reaction score
you either have a driver problem or an allocation problem.

Look at the !!-1.5TT.

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
2) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
3) blue Iris status cameras tab
4) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
Thanks for your reply SouthernYankee. Sorry for the delayed response. What is the significance of 1.5T? I have the space for it so i didnt think that was an issue but please correct me if im wrong so I can understand for the future. Please see attached the details you requested which I hope will help you to help me :)

Please let me know if there is anything else you need. Many thanks for the help

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That 1.5T is an over allocation error, you've allocated more space than the drive has, rather than indicating that you have 1.5T space available.

From Task Manager I see two instances of Blue Iris running. That isn't normal, even with the console open there should only be a single instance showing, I think and I literally just checked my own installation. Maybe SouthernYankee will have some words of wisdom, he's very good a locating problems with BI.

Reaction score
That 1.5T is an over allocation error, you've allocated more space than the drive has, rather than indicating that you have 1.5T space available.

From Task Manager I see two instances of Blue Iris running. That isn't normal, even with the console open there should only be a single instance showing, I think and I literally just checked my own installation. Maybe SouthernYankee will have some words of wisdom, he's very good a locating problems with BI.
Thanks Sebastian tombs. Yeah I did think that was weird. I dont remember seeing 2 instances either when I had this running on my laptop. Im not sure if its because when the client crashes, I reopen it which gives me the second instance.

Thanks again for reply. Looking forward to seeing what southernYankee can see from my screenshots.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good screen shots....

The F drive is messed up, it is not listed as Sored and it should, Is the F drive a mapped network drive, a USB or is it an internal drive ?

I think that the BI DB is messed up, for a start.

I would recommend deleting everything in the BI database folder Then Rebooting the BI PC. You should not lose any video data doing this, you will lose the alert/motion indicators.

Let it run for a while then post a screen shot of clip storage !

=============================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.

Reaction score
Good screen shots....

The F drive is messed up, it is not listed as Sored and it should, Is the F drive a mapped network drive, a USB or is it an internal drive ?

I would recommend deleting everything in the BI database folder Then Rebooting the BI PC. You should not lose any video data doing this, you will lose the alert/motion indicators.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
Thank you for the reply SouthernYankee. To answer your question, the F drive is an external USB drive that is 2TB in size.

With regards to your suggestion, I will do that asap. I don't actually have anything worth keeping so I am even happy to delete all the actual video files as well as the DB too and start fresh.I will then let it run for a while and see how it goes as you say. But I will also run through your standard allocation list above too and check i have not made any of the mistakes you listed.

Thanks again for your help

Reaction score
Good screen shots....

Advanced storage:

Hint:
Hello again @SouthernYankee. This is what I have done. I stopped BI running and I deleted everything in the BlueIris/db folder. I also deleted all video clips off my internal hard drive and also from the external hard drive. I then restarted and let it ran. Another thing I did was reduce the allocation of space for my external hard drive from 1700GB down to 1300GB so I should not be using anywhere near the full drive capacity.

Unfortunately I have to report that I got the same issue after running BI for just over 24 hours. Please I was hoping you have any other suggestions for me? Thank you in advance.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Provide a screen shot of the BI status clip storage
2) Attach the current bi log file Should be in C:\blueiris\log folder .
3) Screen shot windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
4) Blue Iris Setting about tab (black out your license key)
5) Blue Iris settings Startup tab.

You have a good CPU and System.

Report this error to KEN at blue iris. Use the button on the Setting about tab to collect the data, include the screen shot of the error and the detailed description of your problem.

By the way it is normal to have two instances of BI in the windows task manager. One is the background service process and one is the foreground display process.
See screen shot from my system ,

Task9.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I check my BI machine several times daily, sometimes with the console open and sometimes with it closed. I have never seen, in about four years, or more, more than once instance of BI running at the same time. Weird!

Edit - This was bugging the heck out of me. I normally use "Resource Manager" rather than "Task Manager" and sort based on average CPU. If the console is open there is, indeed, a second instance of BI running. Its' CPU utilization is so low it doesn't show in the CPU window, the way I have the windows arranged, in "Resource Manager". Mystery solved, at least this one anyway.

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am experiencing the "Lost Connection to Service" error every few days. I keep the console up 24/7. When it pops up the live view on the console is frozen, I click OK and it closes the console. Re-open and all is well. I can go back through recordings and the service kept moving along all night recording as it should. I have determined it is related to the nightly database Compact/Repair as it happens right when that triggers at 3 AM. The BI logs just show "Restarted after unexpected shutdown" and the windows log shows repeated entries of "The Blue Iris Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service." The windows error occurs every few seconds for a minute or so.

So it appears that BI crashes during the compact/repair and recovers itself. If I do a manual compact/repair it performs just fine. On Version 5.3.2.8. As far as task manager, I only have one instance of BI listed even with console open.

@Thanharossi I'll follow to see what you hear from the developer if you've reported it. I haven't taken time to do any further troubleshooting myself.

Reaction score
1) Provide a screen shot of the BI status clip storage
2) Attach the current bi log file Should be in C:\blueiris\log folder .
3) Screen shot windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
4) Blue Iris Setting about tab (black out your license key)
5) Blue Iris settings Startup tab.

You have a good CPU and System.

Report this error to KEN at blue iris. Use the button on the Setting about tab to collect the data, include the screen shot of the error and the detailed description of your problem.

By the way it is normal to have two instances of BI in the windows task manager. One is the background service process and one is the foreground display process.
See screen shot from my system ,

View attachment 71122
Hi @SouthernYankee my apologies for the slow response. Its been a busy few days. Thanks again for your follow up reply. Please find attached the screenshots you asked for. However when I checked the log folder in c/blueiris/log, the folder was empty. There is no log file. Is this normal?

I will for sure raise this to Ken as you instructed. Thanks for the advice and thanks for confirming the mystery of the 2 instances in task manager.

Attachments

Reaction score
I am experiencing the "Lost Connection to Service" error every few days. I keep the console up 24/7. When it pops up the live view on the console is frozen, I click OK and it closes the console. Re-open and all is well. I can go back through recordings and the service kept moving along all night recording as it should. I have determined it is related to the nightly database Compact/Repair as it happens right when that triggers at 3 AM. The BI logs just show "Restarted after unexpected shutdown" and the windows log shows repeated entries of "The Blue Iris Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service." The windows error occurs every few seconds for a minute or so.

So it appears that BI crashes during the compact/repair and recovers itself. If I do a manual compact/repair it performs just fine. On Version 5.3.2.8. As far as task manager, I only have one instance of BI listed even with console open.

@Thanharossi I'll follow to see what you hear from the developer if you've reported it. I haven't taken time to do any further troubleshooting myself.
Thanks @th182 for topping up this thread with your experience. What you have described is what i too experience. Apart from the fact I do not know what time mine crashes like this. it must be overnight as I get up in the morning and notice the error and BI frozen. I havent had a chance in the last few days to follow up on this but I shall raise this issue tonight and hopefully get some good news to solve this problem. Fingers crossed

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Screen shots look good.
Not sure why the log file is not in the C:\BlueIris\LOG.
Give a screen shot of the Blue Iris status messaging tab,
Click the open folder button on the bottom of that screen and add the log file to the forum.

I can see that the error may occur when the database is being rebuilt. But my bi system is running as a service with the console up all the time and have not seen this problem, i will test tonight again.

Reaction score
Screen shots look good.
Not sure why the log file is not in the C:\BlueIris\LOG.
Give a screen shot of the Blue Iris status messaging tab,
Click the open folder button on the bottom of that screen and add the log file to the forum.

I can see that the error may occur when the database is being rebuilt. But my bi system is running as a service with the console up all the time and have not seen this problem, i will test tonight again.
I followed your instructions and clicked "open folder" button. But it just opens up onto the root of "This Computer". I dont see any log files there. I dont understand. Is there any field where I need to set the log file path?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the BI status message tab is the log to file check on the bottom of the page ?
Is the BI service running with admin privilege's , does the user of the service have admin privileges' ?

Reaction score
On the BI status message tab is the log to file check on the bottom of the page ?
Is the BI service running with admin privilege's , does the user of the service have admin privileges' ?
Ah. My apologies. I was blinded by stupidity and didnt see it right next to the "open folder" button. But I did this time notice the checkbox "Log To File" was unchecked. I have checked this and now a log file is being written. might not be much in there as its only just started writing to it just now

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
need that log file after a crash/ restart / connection problem.

You are having network problems with the Salon cameras. Are these wifi cameras ?

Reaction score
need that log file after a crash/ restart / connection problem.

You are having network problems with the Salon cameras. Are these wifi cameras ?
Sure. As soon as it crashes again I will for sure send another file. No these 2 are wired but they are disabled at the salon because its seems my network is not man enough to send out all that data without bringing down the wufi at the premise but thats a different problem which I would need to resolve later. For now 6 cameras from the salon seems to be fine. But 8 cameras seems to mess with the WiFi. Perhaps I will remove them from BI until I resolve it.

Reaction score
Hi @SouthernYankee, I have just noticed the crash. Video recording on screen seems to have stopped at 20:03:04. I checked that time in the log file and there appears to be a lot of network interruptions. But I am wondering if it makes more sense to you then it does to me. Any further help you can provide will be greatly accepted. :)

Attachments