Lost in lala land!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At each setup screen in BI, click on the help button for good explanations of what that section does. Lot of good info in the help file.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh, km working at it. I do have a question that searching has resulted in an answer. I have the OS drive and the WD Purple drive. C: obviously the OS. E: is the 4tb drive. When setting up, which paths need to be changed so the purple drive gets the work? Or should I scrap 2 drives and run everything off of the purple drive?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep OS and BI on C; Nothing but video files from BI on E:
Options>Clips and Archiving>Click on Help in that window for explanations of what needs setup

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I change the drive path under clips and archiving. That's when things start acting goofy. Not able to open files, etc.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you manually moved the files that were created in the old location to the new?
Right click on clips window and rebuild database?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have not moved any files. BI appears to make the change to the new drive path and create the files. I can try copying them over. Starting with a clean installation now.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, to help avoid missing the first few seconds of a motion event, set the "pre-trigger video buffer" under each camera's "record" tab to at least 2 seconds, maybe three or four, particularly if you're doing hardware decoding. Best just to record EVERYTHING and mark motion events of course, but if you need to extend your recording history then just record motion. A recording starts at the next full frame though, and cams are often set at 2 seconds between frames. For instance, if you're recording at 15fps and your I-frame interval is 30, then you get a full new I-frame every 2 seconds. If you get a flash of motion BI will trigger the cam but you'll miss what the motion was (or at least up to the first two seconds of it) if you don't have a pre-record buffer set to account for that. Also, if the min duration of your motion sensor Make time is a second then you could lose 3 seconds of the start of the motion (full I-frame plus the make time). Makes not much difference if someone comes lumbering slowly into view from a distance, but can make you wonder what triggered your cameras if a vehicle or person quickly flashes sideways through the FOV and they don't get recorded.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Things are acting all kinds of goofy now. Left everything default with the c: drive on new install of BI and setup a camera. Trigger an event and all the clips are the same. Maybe I'm just really confused on how the software runs. Yesterday it ran beautifully.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I switched my cameras to smart codec within the camera itself at some point. Turned that off and everything seems to be calming down. I'll let you know later. My daughter wanted to get her Sims fix on so I came up to move furniture.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, to help avoid missing the first few seconds of a motion event, set the "pre-trigger video buffer" under each camera's "record" tab to at least 2 seconds, maybe three or four, particularly if you're doing hardware decoding. Best just to record EVERYTHING and mark motion events of course, but if you need to extend your recording history then just record motion. A recording starts at the next full frame though, and cams are often set at 2 seconds between frames. For instance, if you're recording at 15fps and your I-frame interval is 30, then you get a full new I-frame every 2 seconds. If you get a flash of motion BI will trigger the cam but you'll miss what the motion was (or at least up to the first two seconds of it) if you don't have a pre-record buffer set to account for that. Also, if the min duration of your motion sensor Make time is a second then you could lose 3 seconds of the start of the motion (full I-frame plus the make time). Makes not much difference if someone comes lumbering slowly into view from a distance, but can make you wonder what triggered your cameras if a vehicle or person quickly flashes sideways through the FOV and they don't get recorded.
I'm starting to get the hang of the software. The help file does help. You guys have been awesome. I am almost to the point of tweaking the cameras. One more cam to install. My neighbors down the street come out every time I'm out working and the old woman is just an ass. She was running on about how everyone in the trailer wants BJ's and running on about our property line. Thank the good Lord for me buying the land between the two of us.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Amazes the heck out of me how intelligent you guys really are with this stuff. Impressed!

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
4 cameras on the switch running. 3 are hooked up outside but fiddling with one on the bench until it goes up in the morning. This is what my switch is doing power consumption right now at 8:55 this evening. 20170221_205005.png

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After restarting the computer this morning I came home to the following error. Same error when I woke up after it ran all night.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After restarting the computer this morning I came home to the following error. Same error when I woke up after it ran all night.
search memory leak...you must have the proper intel driver installed..some have a memory leak issue.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did. I updated drivers this morning hoping it fixed it. Turned off hardware acceleration under cameras. See if that fixes it.