Lost recordings; BI issue or disk issue?

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have been running BI for a few years now, and it's been very stable, thanks to the help I've gotten from reading the forum... until now.

Running on i5-8500@3GHz, 32GB RAM, 256G SSD for OS, 7TB WD for recording. A few days ago, I get a warning that my drives are over-allocated, and the numbers are nonsense. I look at the HD in Windows, and almost all of the recordings are gone, except for the past few hours. Did a database repair/regen, and at least the numbers looked better; e.g., records: 8475 (222.1M, 164.7G free), index: 52 msec, files: 8175 (204.9 G/6.34 T). Next day, same thing happens. Recordings again erased, nothing but the past few hours.

Not sure what's going on... seems BI-related, but I can't discount that some error wasn't occuring. I realized I wasn't saving my logs, so no history, but I've since turned on that option. Also, I did recently update to 5.8.0.X, which may be an issue (although nobody else seems to be reporting a similar issue).

Any thoughts? Thanks.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are the files in the drive itself physically gone? Can you worse to the folder/files using Windows Explorer? Also try creating/copying and maybe even deleting files to see what happens.

Check in the Windows event viewer if there are any errors related to the disk?

If you suspect the disk then you can normally download the manufacturer’s utility to give the disk a quick/full test to see if it finds any issues.

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are the files in the drive itself physically gone? Can you worse to the folder/files using Windows Explorer? Also try creating/copying and maybe even deleting files to see what happens.

Check in the Windows event viewer if there are any errors related to the disk?

If you suspect the disk then you can normally download the manufacturer’s utility to give the disk a quick/full test to see if it finds any issues.
Yes, files were deleted from the drive. No errors on the windows side.

I do notice that there is an S.M.A.R.T. "warning" status, but no erroes, all the attributes are OK...

It's been about 48 hours since the latest mass erasure... holding my breath...

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I also lost all my *.bvr files on Sunday morning. I was running 5.8.0.8 at the time.

How I first noticed this was an observation that all my Alerts had changed to Snapshots .
For example...
1698209779761.png

I examined the JSON clipstats output for the 3:02a alert above.
Note that the ‘offset’ and duration (‘alertmsec’) values are zero.

1698210225381.png

My logfile showed the deletions (over a period of 2.5 hours), but provided no clues as to a cause.

1698209905613.png

I cannot rule out that I may have precipitated this event by damaging the database ... this is because I’ve been experimenting with a script that programmatically adds JPG files to the New folder. While I have been very careful to perform a DB/Regenerate when doing so, it’s always possible that I slipped up. I'm still discussing if this might be a possibility with Ken.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was on 5.8.0.6 and I had similar issues to this thread.
I also wanted to comment on "Blue Iris keeps deleting my recordings!"
"Intermittent Timeline recordings"
"BlueIris decides to delete all my videos (5.8.0.7 PSA)?"
"Drive free space is inaccurate"
as well as "Warning ! BI update 5.8.0.11 will corrupt your database and will lose alerts"
But I might as well throw my hat in to this one too as I feel they might all be related to what I'm experiencing.
I have rolled back to 5.7.9.12 until this is figured out.

Last edited: