Lpr cam help hopefully last time

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dusk and Dawn captures are always the most difficult.

But like we have said, you need more zoom. Especially at night.

I have to take that image and hit the magnifying glass (which is digital zoom) to make the plate bigger so that I can attempt to read it and even then it is guessing more of the characters than it is accurate.

Compare that to an OPTICALLY zoomed camera set up to make the plate as large as possible.

View attachment 169909

Ideally the field of view should be no larger than the size of the vehicle, even more so when you have a less than ideal angle like you do.

You really need it zoomed in to about the area in red, which means a different camera. Who cares if the marketing said you can get 110 feet with 12mm....that is under ideal perfect conditions like straight on and not moving...real world shows 12mm at 110 feet is problematic for accurate plates.

Real world experience indicates whatever distances cameras claim, you have to cut it in half during the day and cut that number in half for night time.

View attachment 169914
So I need a new camera? Or is there a way to change out the lens so I can get better zoom? Bought this at my old house and it was perfect. New house sits a bit further back.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I need a new camera? Or is there a way to change out the lens so I can get better zoom? Bought this at my old house and it was perfect. New house sits a bit further back.
If you are comfortable taking it apart and replacing the lens to a higher mm, many have done that successfully, but that has been with fixed lens cameras.

The question would be could you fit a higher mm lens in that housing and how would it work with a varifocal.

Any chance you can get the camera closer and a better angle - put on mailbox or a tree or in a birdhouse or in landscaping closer?

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are comfortable taking it apart and replacing the lens to a higher mm, many have done that successfully, but that has been with fixed lens cameras.

The question would be could you fit a higher mm lens in that housing and how would it work with a varifocal.

Any chance you can get the camera closer and a better angle - put on mailbox or a tree or in a birdhouse or in landscaping closer?
Can't get it closer, no power. I've worked on computer and electronic hardware so I'm comfortable. Don't know if lens replacement is a thing or I just need to get a new camera. Where do you buy lenses from?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have bought them from Aliexpress and Amazon. I think that is where most here buy replacements.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have to buy one that is the same diameter threaded as the one you have. Best case is you open the camera and it has the Msize on it. Otherwise you will need to purchase several or search online at what size lens that camera has.

But most of them will have the M number like M12 stamped on it.

Got it. Appreciate the help.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is what it looks like. Any idea on what type of lens I need to replace it with? I'd like to go from. The 2.8-12 to the 8-32

Attachments

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
While it is certainly more expensive than trying to swap out lenses, this is the camera that is going to provide enough "reach" to capture plates at the distances you need.
That is a link to the EmpireTech amazon store which sells rebranded Dahua cameras. The OEM model number is DH-IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E. Here is a link to the official Dahua site. IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E - Dahua Technology

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
While it is certainly more expensive than trying to swap out lenses, this is the camera that is going to provide enough "reach" to capture plates at the distances you need.
That is a link to the EmpireTech amazon store which sells rebranded Dahua cameras. The OEM model number is DH-IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E. Here is a link to the official Dahua site. IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E - Dahua Technology
And it's already put together properly. If you try to swap the lens and mess it up, you're out the camera you were messing with and still needing to buy a new one.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does it have lpr programed on it? Or is there a way for me to get that type of programming so it recognizes and stores plates?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does it have lpr programed on it? Or is there a way for me to get that type of programming so it recognizes and stores plates?
No the camera does not have LPR programmed on it. You would have to use a paid 3rd party like Plate Recognizer or OpenALPR or use Blue Iris with the CodeProject ALPR add-on.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And it's already put together properly. If you try to swap the lens and mess it up, you're out the camera you were messing with and still needing to buy a new one.
Except the camera he has reads the plates and logs them. I think that is why he is looking to replace the lens.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Except the camera he has reads the plates and logs them. I think that is why he is looking to replace the lens.
For only 250 bucks that's not bad. I can't find replacement lenses for this camera

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For only 250 bucks that's not bad. I can't find replacement lenses for this camera
Yeah I thought you might have difficulty finding a replacement for the camera that would be powerful enough and fit within the existing camera.

The Z12E is a workhorse and the preferred camera by many here to set it up to capture plates and then use a 3rd party to read/log the plates if so inclined. But many here simply let it record video/pics and then manually read it if they have a reason to need to find the plate.

If you go that route then repurpose your existing cam for other duty - 2MP on a 1/1.8" sensor would be great for IDENTIFY at a point about 40 feet out.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No the camera does not have LPR programmed on it. You would have to use a paid 3rd party like Plate Recognizer or OpenALPR or use Blue Iris with the CodeProject ALPR add-on.
So if I pay 80 bucks for blue iris and add the code project alpr I can get plated love my $700 hikvision cam for only $250?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So if I pay 80 bucks for blue iris and add the code project alpr I can get plated love my $700 hikvision cam for only $250?
You can buy BI cheaper on this site, and you would also need a computer to run Blue Iris 24/7.

So if you have a capable Windows computer sitting around or willing to buy a used one to use for this purpose, then yes it can be done.