Lpr cam help hopefully last time

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just placed the order. I'll record and try it out. See if I feel like paying for blue iris later. Can't believe I spent $700 for that hikvision lpr cam.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just placed the order. I'll record and try it out. See if I feel like paying for blue iris later. Can't believe I spent $700 for that hikvision lpr cam.
The difference in price is that your camera can read/log the plates and the Z12E cannot. But even taking the difference in price and using another solution you can potentially come out cheaper and with more flexibility as the cameras that read plates tend to be a proprietary format. But many of us have seen in the USA that the cameras that actually read plates do a poor job on the USA plates anyway, so we go to a 3rd party.

Then when you get the camera, make sure to look in this subforum to learn all the tweaks you need to make to the Z12E to capture plates.

These are my settings, but you will probably have to do some tweaking based on your field of view.

1691284948863.png

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The difference in price is that your camera can read/log the plates and the Z12E cannot. But even taking the difference in price and using another solution you can potentially come out cheaper and with more flexibility as the cameras that read plates tend to be a proprietary format. But many of us have seen in the USA that the cameras that actually read plates do a poor job on the USA plates anyway, so we go to a 3rd party.

Then when you get the camera, make sure to look in this subforum to learn all the tweaks you need to make to the Z12E to capture plates.

These are my settings, but you will probably have to do some tweaking based on your field of view.

1691284948863.png
Got it. Thanks

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

1691284948863.png
Got the camera hooked up. This is what I got. Still blurry. What do I need to do? Exposure 1/2000

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dusk and Dawn are always the tough times.

And each camera, even though all Z12, have different chipsets, along with the uniqueness of a field of view.

The first thing to do, if possible, is to have someone park a car in the field of view and then get a good focus on the plate and then adjust some of the other variables.

The other variables like brightness, gamma, etc. have an impact on focus.

Another factor is you haven't listed your state. Just for reference, which state are you or was that plate? A lot of states have gone to 3M printed plates that make LPR very difficult.

That plate looks like it is probably a printed plate? If so, it is even more critical to try to get as close to straight on as you can.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

And each camera, even though all Z12, have different chipsets, along with the uniqueness of a field of view.

The first thing to do, if possible, is to have someone park a car in the field of view and then get a good focus on the plate and then adjust some of the other variables.

Another factor is you haven't listed your state. Just for reference, which state are you or was that plate? A lot of states have gone to 3M printed plates that make LPR very difficult.

That plate looks like it is probably a printed plate? If so, it is even more critical to try to get as close to straight on as you can.

I'm in Texas. Thats max zoom. Thought it would go more since it was 50mm and my last being 12mm. That was right before dark and the first car that passed once I got it up.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Should I create day and night profiles both in black and white but with different exposure?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh Texas plates are great plates.

@samplenhold has some great LPR going on with the Z12E that is 64mm zoom.

Yes, you should create different day and night profiles with the parameters set up to capture during each event.

Night is usually the more difficult one to dial in so that is why I posted the night settings from mine.

You can experiment with different exposures. Depending on speeds you might get to go as low as 1/500, but most are 1/2000 or 1/1000.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh Texas plates are great plates.

@samplenhold has some great LPR going on with the Z12E that is 64mm zoom.

Yes, you should create different day and night profiles with the parameters set up to capture during each event.

Night is usually the more difficult one to dial in so that is why I posted the night settings from mine.

You can experiment with different exposures. Depending on speeds you might get to go as low as 1/500, but most are 1/2000 or 1/1000.
So during the day the 1/50 to 1/250 gets plates better with less blur?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
1/250 can get better pic, this camera is doing great as a LPR camera, save a lot if you figure out it under guide.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So during the day the 1/50 to 1/250 gets plates better with less blur?
No, during the day you will need min 1/2000, but probably 1/4000 or 1/10,000

1/250 shutter during the day will be an all white image LOL.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it can do better than that.

What settings are you using? Try this:

H264H
8192 bitrate
CBR
15 FPS
15 iframes