Lpr cam help hopefully last time

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You go into the camera and put the shutter on auto and turn off internal IR and see if you see the blast of IR from the axton.
I hooked the illuminator to be on 24/7. What kind of a blast am I looking for?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It should like like a bright spotlight or focused flashlight beam depending on the degree you got.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can see an example in this video

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another good example video showing what the external IR should be looking like

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can see an example in this video

So ya it's on. Got this from about 140 feet away at an angle. Good or can I do better? Needed digital zoom to read but I could read it. That's me stopped. Don't know how it will work with somebody driving by.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you should be able to get better.

Is the camera at full zoom?

Is the Axton close to the camera?

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Camera is at full zoom. I mounted the axton right below the camera. Attached the mount to the SD card cover screw with a longer screw. I turned my other front yard cam on night and I can see the axton streaking across my yard. Looks like the location is perfect right at the street in front of my driveway.

Before I couldn't see anything so it's an improvement. 1/2000 and hlc at 30.

Attachments

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

This is wearing me out. This morning sunrise and it's blurry. I'm at 1/1000. Does going back to 1/2000 help with that?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The focus number for many will be different for color versus black&white.

So it is best to run a day profile with a manual focus that you set and a night profile with a manual focus that you set.

But 1/1000 will probably be too slow during sunlight and will wash it out depending on your angle.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So I got the axton hooked up. I see 3 red ir dots on it but it's still very dark. How do I know if this thing is working? Should it be more than 3 red dots?
Three red dots are correct. That is what mine has. It's pretty easy to see if its working. Have your cam switch to IR mode but make sure the camera's own IR is turned off. Then cycle on/off the Axton unit. It should be a big difference in the camera's FOV. You might have to temporarily run a slower shutter just for testing (e.g. 1/125) to make sure you can see that the unit is illuminating your scene and you have it pointed in the correct direction.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Three red dots are correct. That is what mine has. It's pretty easy to see if its working. Have your cam switch to IR mode but make sure the camera's own IR is turned off. Then cycle on/off the Axton unit. It should be a big difference in the camera's FOV. You might have to temporarily run a slower shutter just for testing (e.g. 1/125) to make sure you can see that the unit is illuminating your scene and you have it pointed in the correct direction.
Thanks. Finally figured that out. Also switched my other cam to ir and saw the beam across my yard. What shutter speed do you use?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. Finally figured that out. Also switched my other cam to ir and saw the beam across my yard. What shutter speed do you use?
I'm at 1/2000 for both day and night. I do have to gain down some at night since the external IR is so bright it can blow plates out at night.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm at 1/2000 for both day and night. I do have to gain down some at night since the external IR is so bright it can blow plates out at night.
I'm about 147 feet away. Got the ir illuminator dialed in exact. Does this plate look good? Slightly digitally zoomed. 5 to 50mm fully optical zoomed. B/w, 1/2000, gain 50%, hlc 37%. Manually focused. This pic look good?

Attachments

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The focus number for many will be different for color versus black&white.

So it is best to run a day profile with a manual focus that you set and a night profile with a manual focus that you set.

But 1/1000 will probably be too slow during sunlight and will wash it out depending on your angle.
I'm about 147 feet away. Got the ir illuminator dialed in exact. Does this plate look good? Slightly digitally zoomed. 5 to 50mm fully optical zoomed. B/w, 1/2000, gain 50%, hlc 37%. Manually focused. This pic look good? Thats driving by at 40mph.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like you just need to get it focused now. Have someone stop a car in the center of the frame and get a good focus.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like you just need to get it focused now. Have someone stop a car in the center of the frame and get a good focus.

I did right before i drove by. + or - in either direction blurs it. Zoom focus menu under live view. Is that the best way?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to take the step count off of 20 and make it step count of 1 so that you get the small focus jumps. Jumping 20 points in focus is why it is blurry going up or down quickly.

Or if the car is parked in the center of the frame and all you see is the plate, auto focus can probably get it correct at that point as well.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have to take the step count off of 20 and make it step count of 1 so that you get the small focus jumps. Jumping 20 points in focus is why it is blurry going up or down quickly.

Or if the car is parked in the center of the frame and all you see is the plate, auto focus can probably get it correct at that point as well.
At night this yellow box kept going around my truck randomly. That anything?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is just the camera AI sensing the vehicle.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At night this yellow box kept going around my truck randomly. That anything?
You're right. I was adjusting at 20. I'll have to reduce that and dial it in tomorrow. Got the illuminator right on. Hopefully it's my last step for night. Day is good. Night 1/2000 seems to be good. I'll get the focus hammered out tomorrow. My wife is wondering what the hell I'm doing driving back and forth down the street.