Making a Hik 2432 portable with mini router and battery pack

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks to @metro and his idea for making a battery operated baby monitor, I decided to make one of my Hik 2432's completely portable so that I could demo the camera to friends and clients.

I'm using a TP-Link nano travel router, Hik2432 camera, Anker battery pack, USB volt/amp meter and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S as the monitor and the TinyCam Pro app.

With everything connected overnight, the battery had a 40% charge left after 10 hours, so I expect it would last between 15 and 18 hours before it was completely drained. Here are some pics of the setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Now there's a hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is...

Handy setup BTW. Tons of battery life for demos and even enough for a true portable recording/baby monitor solution.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Slightly off topic: Just had an Anker die. Top customer service from them replacing it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic: Just had an Anker die. Top customer service from them replacing it.
+1, they replaced a usb phone cable quickly after it no longer held tight in the phone and did not require return shipping of the broken unit.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That was my first Anker purchase and I was impressed with that battery pack so I decided to order a Anker wireless charger for my Samsung Note 5 phone. Haven't received it yet though. Anker products seem to have a lot of positive reviews.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I would be very concerned with such friends that require up to 18 hours to convince them to buy this cam who don't have electrical outlet near by... :)

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You might get a better battery life by connecting the camera to the nano router with UTp cable, and disabling the wifi on both camera and nano router :)

Edit: And by also not using the USB tester, I guess...

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. I want to have a portable setup like that for my enclosed trailer. To use while driving to see load shift, and to use at bike shows.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You might get a better battery life by connecting the camera to the nano router with UTp cable, and disabling the wifi on both camera and nano router :)

Edit: And by also not using the USB tester, I guess...
I'm not sure that would work with this router. I believe the single port is a WAN port. When I initially setup the router, I did it wireless using a laptop.

I do have another mini router (xiaomi mini router) that has two lan ports, so I might try using that router and connect the camera directly to it. It more than likely would draw more battery power though. The USB meter is temporary. I just wanted to see how much current the router draws. Also I need the WiFi for the Samsung tablet to view the camera and be completely wireless.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. I want to have a portable setup like that for my enclosed trailer. To use while driving to see load shift, and to use at bike shows.

You're welcome. That portable setup should work well for you in monitoring your load shift and at the bike shows. The battery should be good for at least 14 hours. I haven't drained my battery completely but after 10 hours it still had 40% remaining, so I would guess it would be good for a few more hours over the 10.

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I assume the battery is 12v? I could run it from the house batteries that are charged by the generator.
Wondering how well the wifi signal will pass through the aluminum skin of the trailer.
Perhaps even use another as a backup cam.....
Uh oh, i hear the soumd of money being spent... ;)

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The battery can supply 9v or 12v, which is selectible with the button on the side of the battery. Of course it also supplies 5v through the USB ports. That might work as a backup cam, but you'd need to protect the Hik 2432 from the elements being that it's an indoor camera. :)

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thought about making my spare Huisun 10x ptz portable, although it would probably drain the battery in less time. Might try it anyway using the other mini router.