Making a Hik 2432 portable with mini router and battery pack

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's the Hik 2432 and the mini router on separate batteries.

Camera is outside in this capture at about 40' distance from router.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Larebear pretty good up times... do you know if the 20000 mahs are rated at 5v or 12v? on the anker battery packs

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK. And I feel like an idiot, but here goes...

Got The Xaomi Mi router.
Got a new 2432F-IW

The router is plugged in and WOW. I can see it from down the street on my phone's list of networks.

What I am planning to do, is to use the camera to view the load in my trailer (show motorcycles) and view this cam from my tablet using tiny cam pro while I am travelling down the highway.
Had a strap break once and it caused very expensive/extensive damage to a rare bike. Would like to never have to live through that again.
May also eventually want to install a backup camera.
There is 12V available in the trailer, and soon a solar panel and stand alone power (Goal Zero Yeti 400 and some panel yet to be found). Plus there is power whenever the truck is connected.

Assuming the best approach is to set the router up in the trailer with the cam plugged into one of the LAN ports and wifi to the tablet in the truck. Thus no need for the WAN port. Basically, the router acts like a switch with WIFI. Does this sound feasible?

Trying to setup the Xaiomi router with no internet connection is pretty impossible. Tried to sign into the Router's site for setup, but I guess (duh) it has to have an internet connection.
Really an idiot with this stuff sometimes.
Can someone tell me how to set up the Xaiomi using a regular port on my network?
I have a 192.168.1.1 setup and wanted to make the portable system a 10 dot setup.

Afraid I'll need a walkthrough sufficient for a 5 year old... Who am I kidding, 5 year olds can probably do this in their sleep. LOL.

I had another brain fart where the thought of using another copy of BI (on a Win laptop) to monitor the trailer interior with motion detection from a hotel room near the truck seemed feasible.

All help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is the way I have mine set up. It's not connected to the internet. I'm using the Anker battery pack to power both the Xiaomi router and the camera using a power splitting cable. I haven't checked it out for maximum range yet but it does work from one end of my house to the other. It works fine with both my Android tablets and Android phone.

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How did you first access the router without internet access?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The one I ordered was the Pandorabox version which included the OpenWrt firmware in English. I connected to it using 192.168.1.1 from a PC that was isolated from my LAN since my ASUS router also uses the same IP address. User name was root and password was admin. From there I was able set it up. Internet access not needed.

I ordered my Xiaomi from here, but I see that it's no longer available from that seller. Looks like the English (OpenWrt) version is still available here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I'll give that a shot later today.

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep. I have a Chinese version. Without an internet connection, I can't use Google translate to make anything happen. Tried with my laptop that has an rj45 port, Nada.
Tried from my phone, Nada.
Tried to use Translate by flipping the wireless networks..... Nada.
I don't know anyone that reads or speaks Chinese.
Pity. This thing has more range than "real" routers.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
If you are technical savvy, there are guides how to upgrade to OpenWrt. Mine was shipped with Chinese firmware as well which I upgraded

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey, I'll give it a shot.

Just ordered the English OpenWRT version, so I have at least 15 days to brick this router.

Thanks.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Frankly you will find that openwrt isn't user friendly as your average Netgear.

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it is better than Chinese.
Lol.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's a link on upgrading the Chinese firmware to OpenWRT. It's not really a simple process. As klasipca mentioned, it does require some tech savvy. Since these routers are priced so low, I decided to buy one that was already converted. Great little router at a great price.

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll try it later. Currently setting 8 cams to direct to disc on the house system.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, direct to disc is the best way to go with BI. I'm monitoring 22 local cameras and 14 remote cameras using BI. Favorite security software for my PC and Android tablets and phones. I'm hooked. :peaceful:

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Direct to disc is nice, but I'll miss my live weather on-screen.

I may have made some progress with the Chinese router. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By some magic of Shakespearian monkey typing, I was able to get the Chinese router to work.
My wireless connection to the internet and the wired connection to the Mi router decided to play nice. Translate just "worked".
Downloaded Tinycam Monitor pro to my phone and an old tablet.
It all works!
Now just have to figure out the easy part of the 12V setup, and hope the wifi goes through the trailer skin.

I cannot thank you enough for all of your help.
Al