Mic Humming / Issues on Hikvision IP PTZ 2DE7184-A

sparc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post here.. My father & I installed this camera on the top of a telephone pole.. Long story, but it was a telephone phone installed by the power company for the previous owner of the property to establish & watch an osprey nest. The owner had power dug to the middle of this open field. She had a PTZ CCTV camera up there with some 2.4GHz wireless communications.. so I figured we would start fresh with a high quality IP PTZ and some Ubiquiti WiFi equipment to setup a 1/2 mile directional WiFi run. Success. Video is absolutely fantastic, but I fear I didn't test the microphone enough while it was on the ground. We have no means of getting up there again unless we call the power company.. which they'd likely be more than willing to come out again with a bucket lift to do some troubleshooting with the audio.

I used a conventional VideoSecu pre-amp CCTV microphone from Amazon (http://amzn.com/B002S4G870) , along with their 500mA 12V power supply (roughly 50 feet of cabling, which should be nothing). I've used one of these at home with a 100 foot run, and they pick up absolutely everything from a long ways away. Now, the 2DE7184-A had a mess of wires.. I found AUDIO IN, AUDIO OUT, and AUDIO GRD. When I stripped the VideoSec pre-amp mic (just the RCA audio jack).. I found 2 wires, I'm assuming these were audio & ground. I tied them into what I thought was the corresponding wire on the Hikvision based on testing (AUDIO IN & AUDIO GRD) & soldered them together & used heat shrink tubing.. and based on some late-night testing. I heard myself, but only if the microphone was really, really close to my mouth. I used LINE IN (and also tested MIC IN) in the Hikvision camera configuration. I have tried all the audio encoding methods.

The problem seems to be a consistent humming with no other noise except for wind noise. I have uploaded 2 clips to YouTube, so you can hear it. The first 60 seconds should tell you almost everything, from wind to silence. Granted, there is not much noise in the middle of this field.. but I feel like I've never heard any environmental noise (birds/cars/trucks), a truck/car (~400m away) or anything on it.

Lower Bitrate - (Select 1080p HD)

Higher Bitrate - (Select 1080p HD)

I'm no huge expert.. but one of a few things is possibly wrong here, I'm just curious which one is the most likely.

1) Microphone is defective or was damaged in the process of installation.
2) Power supply is bad.
3) I should've tied the AUDIO & GRND together into the AUDIO IN on the IP camera? Some kind of GROUND issue?
4) 50 foot power cabling from the microphone to the AC adapter is bad.

#2 is replaceable from the ground level, #1, #3 & #4 will involve getting a bucket lift out & some surgery from 35-40 feet in the air. Do I need to bring some certifiable noise like a boombox on the ground & test further? I plan to send my father out there tomorrow to make some noise with an ATV or snowmobile.. but I'm just curious what people out there might think.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sparc

n3wb
Reaction score
I had them run the snowmobile by it with the Audio Input set to LineIn with Volume 40 & Environmental Noise Filter set to OFF. I heard absolutely nothing but the humming.

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The hum is definitely the power supply, it has to be some grounding problem.
I have the same problem with a Dahua cam. I found out that changing the ali, changes also the hum, but I haven't definitely solved it.
Anyway I tried to power the mic with a 12V battery and there is no noise at all: so it is the ali.