Microphone recomendations?

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision NXI 16 channel Acusense NVR. I have 9 cameras hooked up but none do audio. I notice there's an audio in port on the back of the NVR, but only one. I would like at least one good quality outdoor microphone, ideally two. can anyone recommend something? Also I wondered if anyone knows if I could cheat and get two audio inputs by adding a camera with built in mic, or would that need the audio in port on the NVR?
Thanks for any tips

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
In most cases, hooking a mic to a cam is a smaller headache than running a mic cable all the way back to the NVR. Use a powered mic w/ a POE splitter.

Try these threads.

Very do-able.

Good luck,
Fastb

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hey, thanks! Never heard of a POE splitter, sounds like you're suggesting it can connect ito the same ethernet port as the camera, so not using the phono audio input, if so that would be fantastic!
I will have a look at those threads, thanks very much

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have read and still not sure I fully understand. Do I need a certain type of camera to enable this setup? I do understand that the POE splitter splits the power from the data/ethernet, then routes power to and through a mic, and then on to the camera. but my cameras all have ethernet and power input (good) but NO third connection. So do I need to find a camera with an external audio input?
These are the cameras i have - HIKVISION Turret Camera DS-2CD2335FWD-I Outdoor IP Camera 842571102161 | eBay

thanks again

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I have read and still not sure I fully understand. Do I need a certain type of camera to enable this setup? I do understand that the POE splitter splits the power from the data/ethernet, then routes power to and through a mic, and then on to the camera. but my cameras all have ethernet and power input (good) but NO third connection. So do I need to find a camera with an external audio input?
These are the cameras i have - HIKVISION Turret Camera DS-2CD2335FWD-I Outdoor IP Camera 842571102161 | eBay

thanks again
You'll need to replace the camera that has built in audio whether it be internal Mic or inputs. Or as you stated before run a cable from the NVR to a external microphone of your choice. :thumb:

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll need to replace the camera that has built in audio whether it be internal Mic or inputs. Or as you stated before run a cable from the NVR to a external microphone of your choice. :thumb:
I don't have a camera with built in audio

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I need to find a camera with an external audio input?
Yes. Many mid-range cameras support an external mic. The hookup wire bundle from the cam has ethernet & power, at a minimum. And maybe some naked wires for external alarm and external mic. These wires could easily have been overlooked when installing the cam. So you MAY have external mic capability and not know it.
Check the spec sheets for your cam.

Otherwise, run the audio signal all the way back to the NVR. A powered mic will most likely be needed, due to the distance (ie: length of audio cable).

Fastb

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, to be clear if you purchase a camera that has built in audio (Internal Mic) you don't need anything else. All you need to do is enable the audio in camera's internal setup page. That same audio will be transmitted over the Ethernet cable which obviously reduces overall costs for installation, accessories, possible mounting hardware etc.

Having said this, an external microphone offers more flexibility in terms of placement, sound quality, and overall distance captured.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
And brush up on your local laws. R3co4ding audio is Moore restricted than recording video.
A sign may be required to inform visitors that audio is being recorded..

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. So I need a camera or run a mic. Since I would like two mics (two entrances), it looks like I will need to go for both so I have some learning to do!

I only buy used Hikvision turret cams on fleabay, so I hope to find something with an audio input although I can't remember seeing one before when hunting for cameras. Hope they do one! (and yes I know there are insanely priced Acusense new ones, but I won't be going there!)

Laws are not an issue here but thanks for the thought

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
PS I actually had an idea. I only have one audio in. I wonder if I could rig up two mics and merge the signal together. Audio quality would suffer, but at least a conversation at either entrance would be covered to some degree, better than nothing. Will see if I can manage that

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
PS I actually had an idea. I only have one audio in. I wonder if I could rig up two mics and merge the signal together. Audio quality would suffer, but at least a conversation at either entrance would be covered to some degree, better than nothing. Will see if I can manage that
If you really had no choice and finances were low. You can use a two position switch to toggle which Mic Is powered. Than you can listen to each target entrance without cross talk from the other.

This is old school but works in a pinch!

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, nice idea but I actually need both live recording all the time.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, nice idea but I actually need both live recording all the time.
Well, it’s going to be a whole lot easier and productive installing a camera with a built in Mic.

You can certainly give it a go with wiring two microphones to see the lack lustre performance never mind sound quality.

If this is strictly from a point of trying to gain knowledge - Rock On! But, if this is about doing the job right, once, and reliably this is the wrong path to follow.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Good discussion.
Audio: internal vs external mic:
Audio sensitivity/quality/directionality isn't the same. Several threads on this.
Briefly, external Mic:
  • many options, like a directional Mic that can be "aimed"
  • better audio pickup when further away.
  • can be placed away from the cam. Eg: if the cam is mounted high, like 10ft. Or if using a longer lens to focus on ppl far from the cam.
  • More audio boost is possible.
  • a little more complicated & expensive, with more 'components'.
  • ability to position Mic out of the wind, to minimize wind noise/whistling. (Minor benefit in most applications,imho)
  • both methods put audio into the video ip stream (nice & simple) versus a separate audio-only stream on a seperate parallel cable running all the way back to the NVR.

YMMV,
Fastb