Migrated to new box, now clips dont record.

Thwack

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, roughly 2 hrs later set on active recording for all 7 cameras, and we only have clips for 4 of them, and even those are sporadic. of the 2 cams that I listed details for above, one recorded (frntdr) and one did not (foyer). You can see the clip list on the right and the very broken timeline along the bottom (constant recording was from 6:30 to 8:30)
capa.PNG
capb.PNG

Both are the same model cam, (hikvision 4mp minidome) with the same settings. In fact, all my cams are one of 2 models, and at least one of each model recorded a little. I don't think camera model is an issue:

The system still shows plenty of alerts and clips that I still cannot play. When I try to play the new clips manually from the file explorer, it starts playing on BI, but the video soon freezes up, then BI crashes.

I'm attaching a shot of the log of right before and after it crashed when I tried to view video.
capc.PNG

I'm ready to wipe the whole system and start again, I seriously cannot tell what's up.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
go with what @fenderman wants to do. I would have excepted all your cameras to have one hour files each. The next thing up is to look at the profile setting. And look at each of the camera settings. Are any of your cameras wifi ?

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
...................... When I try to play the new clips manually from the file explorer, it starts playing on BI, but the video soon freezes up, then BI crashes.................
What happens when you play it from the Blue Iris GUI? Still can't find file?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
stay on the topic..,. one problem at a time. The cameras are not recording... Stay on topic till that problem is solved !!!!!!!!!!!

Thwack

n3wb
Reaction score
Wiping and reinstalling now. Yes, when trying to play from the GUI, it would just give the same error popup box. All cams are hardwired.

I'll use all the suggestions when setting it up again.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) are you using BI as a service?
2) was it a clean install, did you readd the cameras manually.

If you have not already done it, do a clean manual install. Add one and only onecamera for continuous recording. No motion detection, no scheduling. Before reinstall make sure all the blue iris folders are empty,

Thwack

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so did a complete wipe, deactivated key, uninstalled, manually removed folders from c:/ blueiris, as well as from program files, rebooted, reinstalled, added a single camera that never recorded before. No motion detection, no schedules, just continuous recording on profile 1.

Same problem as before, even when it says it's recording, it doesn't. With many less variables, I started toggling settings one by one. I narrowed it down to "direct to disk recording" When I switch it off and do mpeg 4 re-encoding, it works and records as normal, though my cpu % jumps as expected.

I'm using an i5-4570 cpu with integrated intel 4600 gpu. I have intel hardware decoding switched on. Shouldn't I be able to run direct to disk with no problems? any ideas based on this new info?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so did a complete wipe, deactivated key, uninstalled, manually removed folders from c:/ blueiris, as well as from program files, rebooted, reinstalled, added a single camera that never recorded before. No motion detection, no schedules, just continuous recording on profile 1.

Same problem as before, even when it says it's recording, it doesn't. With many less variables, I started toggling settings one by one. I narrowed it down to "direct to disk recording" When I switch it off and do mpeg 4 re-encoding, it works and records as normal, though my cpu % jumps as expected.

I'm using an i5-4570 cpu with integrated intel 4600 gpu. I have intel hardware decoding switched on. Shouldn't I be able to run direct to disk with no problems? any ideas based on this new info?
What camera are you testing with? Post the video settings from the camera web interface.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok it is a camera problem. What is the make and model of the camera ?
The camera is hardwired to the network correct (not wireless) ?
Can you login to the camera with internet explorer or Palmoon 32 ?
What is the static IP of the BI PC ?
What is the static IP address of the camera ?

Thwack

n3wb
Reaction score
The cam is a Hikvision DS-2CD2342WDI
It's hardwired
I can login via browser, screencaps of settings below.
BI static ip is 192.168.1.4
Cam static ip is 192.168.1.32

It's odd, as there is one more of this cam that was recording before, and all these cams were recording direct to disk on the old system, which was very similar to this one. In fact this is the 3rd system I build with this exact model cam, and they all handle direct to disk just fine. Not sure what could be off on this one.

cam cap1.PNG cam cap2.PNG cam cap 3.PNG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The cam is a Hikvision DS-2CD2342WDI
It's hardwired
I can login via browser, screencaps of settings below.
BI static ip is 192.168.1.4
Cam static ip is 192.168.1.32

It's odd, as there is one more of this cam that was recording before, and all these cams were recording direct to disk on the old system, which was very similar to this one. In fact this is the 3rd system I build with this exact model cam, and they all handle direct to disk just fine. Not sure what could be off on this one.

View attachment 36475 View attachment 36476 View attachment 36477
Turn off h264+ smart codec

Thwack

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, do I feel dumb, that totally worked! No clue why that setting worked on the last system but not this one, but at this point, I don't care. Thanks for the help Fenderman and Yankee, you have saved the remnants of my sanity!