Mini movie. Get your popcorn!

pdxDavid

n3wb
Reaction score
Love the video and the movie script. I am not a nice and/or forgiving person when it comes to people stealing, so I wanted to see a nice kick to the side of the knee hobbling him.

Innocent until hobbled when caught in the act. Has a nice ring to it.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very entertaining video. I hope you do not get into trouble for 'assaulting' him.
Yeah, isn't that true. Although I was heated I had no intentions on getting physical (other than holding him), but that changed after he tried his luck. Once he realized the mistake it just became a struggle to keep him there and to maintain his hands down until police arrived.

As a mentioned before and would like to reiterate to all of you reading this post. In a similar situation, avoid any type of confrontation. It just not worth it. Hopefully, any video footage that you'll get from the incident will be good enough to have the proper authorities deal with the perpetrator. Hell, isn't that the reason we are all here? :D Let your cameras do the work!

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
great video.. love the beating he took! so does your wife lock her door now :)

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, I have a wife that doesn't lock her car! :D
Next time you get a car for the wife, make sure the vehicle has key-less entry (keypad), then get an aftermarket car alarm that automatically locks the doors after you exit the vehicle. Another nifty feature is if trying the door handle causes the dome light to come on, and that sets off the alarm.

The key-less entry protects you from doing something like setting the keys down in the car and then forgetting to pick them up before exiting the vehicle, and having the alarm go off the moment someone even checks to see if its unlocked will probably help run someone off before they have much of a chance to do anything to the car or its contents.

And BTW, great capture in all senses of the word! :)

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice vid!

I have to nag my wife about car doors too. Our newer Honda locks the doors within about 30 seconds of not being in it with the doors shut. I almost want to disable that feature because it get's old when you unlock the doors from the house, run outside to get something from the car, and they are already locked again.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Damn, just saw this video. Amazing footage, and looks like Carrot Top received a few punches to his face along the way. Nice work mate!!! Which cameras are you running? Cannot believe this happened at 9:30pm.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Damn, just saw this video. Amazing footage, and looks like Carrot Top received a few punches to his face along the way. Nice work mate!!! Which cameras are you running? Cannot believe this happened at 9:30pm.
Driveway cameras are Hikvisions DS-2CD2032-I 6mm lens recording at 2mp for the middle and 12mm lens recording at 3mp for right side/cul-de-sac. The other one is a DS-2CD2132F-IS with a 2.8mm lens for the wide view. This camera location used to be a EXIR turret DS-2CD2332-I which I'm planning to either replace again with a new one or put the old one back due to the better night vision IR and picture quality (I think the DS-2CD2132F-IS with the 2.8 lens is not focus correctly). Either way I can't complaint about the cameras, since they have proven effective so far. :D

In regards of Carrot Top stopping for a visit at 9:30 PM, well let's just say I'm glad we have some dumb criminals around here.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Was the kid handcuffed in back of the patrol car?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, crazy! Glad you were not hurt, thanks for sharing.

NetWorker

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
While it may not be smart to go after him like that, emotion is hard to resist. I love that you overpower that loser and punch him repeatedly. Not gonna lie, it made me feel pretty good. :)

I had a similar incident happen when someone come into our home while we were sleeping. My wife caught them and luckily they did not want confrontation. Had I caught them, not sure I could resist violence even though I know it's not the right choice unless I had to.

Your camera setup is nice. Thanks for sharing this.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO. You're lucky he didn't have a knife in his pocket. When you're on top of him like that you're putting him in a fight or flight situation and he can't flee. I know you didn't have time to think it through, but maybe it's meant to be food for future thought, eh?

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Was the kid handcuffed in back of the patrol car?
I watched the video again just to make sure and yes, he was handcuffed when taken to the vehicle. I'm pretty sure Robocop didn't adjust the cuffs too tight.

IMO. You're lucky he didn't have a knife in his pocket. When you're on top of him like that you're putting him in a fight or flight situation and he can't flee. I know you didn't have time to think it through, but maybe it's meant to be food for future thought, eh?
Completely agree. After calming down and having time to reflect on what just happened, the eerie thought came to my mind once I realized how lucky I was that #1, he had no weapons and #2, he was just a punk with noodle arms and red wig. If a weapon would had been involved in the incident, I'm pretty sure this video would be a different story. As I mentioned before, it just not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The OP was lucky but if everyone took a small bit of trying to defend their stuff either people would quit stealing or be more aggressive. I'm glad you made it out fine and it looks like a good day for everyone except for the cop that had to chase him and of course the POS in jail. Probably released before the cop got done with the paperwork

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While it may not be smart to go after him like that, emotion is hard to resist. I love that you overpower that loser and punch him repeatedly. Not gonna lie, it made me feel pretty good. :)

I had a similar incident happen when someone come into our home while we were sleeping. My wife caught them and luckily they did not want confrontation. Had I caught them, not sure I could resist violence even though I know it's not the right choice unless I had to.

Your camera setup is nice. Thanks for sharing this.
Honestly, if somebody enters you house and they leave alive you have been merciful. That is a whole other level beyond breaking into a car.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
And people still ask, "Why do you have [so many] cameras at your house?" THIS. God, I love it. My adrenaline is flowing...

To add on what someone else has said, get an aftermarket alarm installed at your local Best Buy. Might set you back $250 all in. The alarm will simply lock your car doors after x seconds.

Every car I've ever owned has had that installed. I just don't trust myself to remember 100% - and I most certainly don't trust others not to strike that one time I forget.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is a little update!

Thanks to the surveillance footage, this little punk was also identified in a previous robbery near my neighborhood back in April. This was a more serious incident, since he broke in someone's house while they were there and stole a 50" tv from the porch. Apparently they had video of the incident, but were not able to identify the person. The dummy was wearing a tank top or sleeveless shirt at the time and the video showed some identifying tattoos on his arm/shoulder. Description was on point as far as height and weight. Put the two together and boom!

Count # 1. Count as Filed: OROB, ROBBERY IN THE FIRST DEGREE, in violation of _________
Date of Offense: 04/20/2015

Count # 2. Count as Filed: RBDW, ATTEMPTED ROBBERY IN THE FIRST DEGREE, in violation of _________
Date of Offense: 04/30/2015

Public records shows his court date is scheduled for 22 October. I have a feeling he is going to spend Christmas with lots of new friends.

Attachments