Mini movie. Get your popcorn!

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hours and hours of practice? I picked my first set of police handcuffs after about 10mins.. and I had no youtube video, just a hint it could be done..

They dont train you to get out of them, but they do train you that they can be gotten out of.. all the cops Ive talked too are aware there cuffs can be defeated with a paperclip..

99.9% seems like a bullshit number you pulled out of nowhere, Ive known of a few cops executed and not one was ever handcuffed.. but I know of many cases where cop or security guard was tied up and tossed in a closet while they robbed the place.. I have the opposite opinion, if your going to tie them up and cuff them your likely going to leave them alive.. or else you'd just shoot em without ever risking physical contact.

but your right, I got into fuckloads of trouble.. but so did everyone, its how teenagers are entertained in the middle of Kansas.. im just saying handcuffs can be picked, quite easily.. and its quite common knowledge that any scrawny 19 year old ginger kid could pickup.
I won't mess the thread up on proving points I'll leave it at this knowing cops and being in their shoes first hand are two big difference. I have both under my feet at a local and federal level

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I completely agree with you.. I am not speaking for anyone other than my self.

PS: I hold a minor in Criminal Justice, I was once deputized to help secure a crime scene involving death of a child when I was on a ride along.. that was plenty shoes for me to be in to decide that I was better suited for dealing with computers... but I very nearly became a LEO my self after my mothers Sargent was executed by my next door neighbor durring a routine traffic stop with his own gun. Sat through the whole trial as a pretty young child.. I consider my self someone with a bit more experience than just knowing cops.. I was raised by cops and by some miracle I am not one my self.

I was just relaying why my mom told me she knew how to pick her handcuffs with a paperclip, as a woman cop she made fucking sure she knew how to get out of them if she needed to.. she likely did learn the skill under her own desire and I highly doubt anyone trained her to do it.. when she got a federal job those came with cuffs that neither of us could open w/out a key.

Last edited by a moderator:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
When I was young, I could pick myself out of every handcuffs up until middle 80's when those new hinged handcuffs hit the market then it was quite difficult to pick those type of handcuffs. I used to work for the sheriff department and I was also magician for fun so that how I acquire the picking skills cuz guys at work would dare me or challenge me with their brand of handcuffs etc. I still could pick it easy even when it was double locked.

Now I am 51 years old so I haven't try picking handcuffs for a long time but I think it like riding a bike, once you learn you don't forget how so I am sure I still can pick it except for those hinged handcuffs which I probably cannot pick anymore since my body isn't flexible like it to be when I was young.

Bill

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Seriously - anyone that 'installs' handcuffs for a living, doesn't install them with the keyholes facing down....

One of the reasons - is when you go to unlock them, it makes it very awkward if the keyhole is down. Also, to be properly applied, they need to be 'double locked' so they will not ratchet down any tighter - so at that point, the 'fitment' should be checked :)

Handcuffs are usually 'staged' in their carrying case - so when you pull them out (by feel) you know exactly how they will go on without having to look at them, and you know the keyholes will be up

Lastly - the Police Unit should have a cage in the back that covers the windows...