Mini-Review - 5241-Z12E-S2 - Replacement for the 5241-Z12E

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What's going on with the picture changing brightness?
That is usually too big of a range of gain. So the dark truck comes by and gain increases.

Try a smaller range or go to custom shutter to get you access to the gain control.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its set 0-50 for night. Once it's totally dark you don't notice any fluctuations.
You could make the range tighter like 0-30 or 30 to 50.

But since it is for LPR duty as long as you can read the plate, that is the most important thing. Running at the shutter speeds we need to clean capture plates means that dusk and dawn times will be problematic.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Alaska Country Do you have the API call to simply toggle day/night?

(Although your code above works, I'm not interested in TimeSectionV2)
You and I both agree. Would rather NOT use the schedule but at present it is the only way to achieve day/night switching with Web 5. It is more or a back door approach to making the camera work for a day/night switch application.

Tried a number of older Web 4 API's and these do not work in a Web 5 environment. It would appear the Dahua engineers have not enabled the older approach or have removed that ability from the updated FW. Plus the API is silent on a specific API that would be functional for the desired switching operation.

One can use the BI PTZ controls to switch using an HTTP GET (SET) statement for day/night switching that takes into account local sunrise/sunset times plus offset.

Overall, the posted API's work as intended. One to switch from day to night and the other from night to day. i.e. one overwrites the other. When used, the entire month of August is either in full orange or full purple. No need for individual blocks.

The downside is that the schedule is month sensitive requiring the month code, a number from 0 to 11 to be changed monthly. Perhaps, a small price to pay to achieve a daily time change based on local sun conditions. That perhaps, could be negated by adding 12 presets (12 day and 12 night) one for each month using the PTZ hack. That way all months, for the entire year would be switched on a daily basis. Note: Have not tested this approach.

Also, used the BI Window's sunset/sunrise utility that works fine for older versions of Dahua FW. However, without updates it will become less and less useful as new FW is being developed and implemented by Dahua.

The approach, for my use, is to NOT use the utility or the PTZ hack but a separate system for HTTP GET control. In this case, the use of the Hubitat C7 hub for all camera and security lighting control. It is working well for its intended purpose.

If you find an appropriate API for the indicated task, please share. It would be nice if the API would be of sufficient detail to provide the needed API's, but so far that is not the case.

Reaction score
Thanks for @wittaj review, this camera have some improvement and we add the build mic to this camera, so will be a plus.
By the way, any guy think the full black Z12E is good for selling or not? Think to add a full black bullet camera to sell.
If you had a black one I would have ordered it yesterday instead of a white one.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is an image of the way the Time Plan Settings (Schedule) looks in Web 5 when activating the night camera mode. For the day mode all of the months would be orange.

View attachment 171084
You have it set for night mode in August and Day mode for the rest of the year?

The new interface allows for much finer settings. I have not set it up like this yet but each month could have a separate day/night schedule to account for the variations in the sunrise/sunset over time. Certainly not as accurate as using the actual sunrise and sunset but much better that one schedule for the entire year.
Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 9.52.18 AM.png

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are one incident away from wanting LPR!

And two incidents from wanting 2 LPR - one facing each direction LOL

But even if you don't use it for LPR, the range on it is incredible.
Or somebody like myself where you want 3 because traffic is coming from 3 different directions. lol... :)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
By the way, any guy think the full black Z12E is good for selling or not? Think to add a full black bullet camera to sell.
Yes. I'd have bought that if I had the choice.

I did a black wrap on mine and sprayed the base. BIG difference in how visible it is in white vs black when mounted in a tree or wherever as a lot of these are. White was very obvious. Black pretty much disappears unless you're looking for it. (Other than the glowing red lights. lol But that's another thing.)

IMG_4209.jpg

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have it set for night mode in August and Day mode for the rest of the year?

The new interface allows for much finer settings. I have not set it up like this yet but each month could have a separate day/night schedule to account for the variations in the sunrise/sunset over time. Certainly not as accurate as using the actual sunrise and sunset but much better that one schedule for the entire year.
Only one month at a time changes which changes daily based on LUX readings at sunrise and sunset. My default is "day" for all unused months as it is an unimportant setting.

The goal was to find a way to switch the Web 5 camera from day to night and back again without using the provided camera schedule. Much like the older FW versions.

With Web 5, that is no longer possible unless someone come up with the proper API for switching. The above API does just that. It changes the camera from day to night, etc by using an HTTP API SET statement that can be triggered by BI, a BAT file, Hubitat or any number of alternative scenarios.

Being in the north, time is now changing at the rate of almost 6 minutes per day. Thus a monthly schedule is worthless at my location. Local sunset/rise with a time offset is another option and works well but does not take into account clear vs cloudy conditions. Have used that with great success but now use LUX instead for daily camera mode changes.

The HTTP URL that is being used for switching to night is as follows:

Code:
http://admin:password@192.168.55.62/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].TimeSectionV2[%var_ptz_month%][0]=00:00:00-24:00:00%20Night
To switch the month the month number (was 7) after the V2 is replaced with a variable. This is set in the Hubitat Rules Machine to check the current date and extract the current month. This in turn is compared to a listing of months and changes the month to the correct number. In this case, when Aug = Aug is TRUE then change the variable to 7. For September the variable will be changed to 8, etc. The rule is run once to day as a update and will automatically change to the correct month as needed.

As a note in the API, the "%20" after the time indicates a space as the Hubitat Rules Machine will not accept a real space in the URL.

Another option would be to COPY as displayed in the Time Plan Settings. However, that API is not published information.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for @wittaj review, this camera have some improvement and we add the build mic to this camera, so will be a plus.
So you have to order 300 black 5241-Z12E-S3 bullet cameras at a time? Put me down for 4 and you'll only need to get pre-orders for 296 more. :)