Mini-Review - 5442-Z4E-S3 AKA B54IR-Z4E S3 - Replacement to the 5442-Z4E

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plus people are oblivious and wouldn't notice the IR anyway. You have to almost be looking straight at it.

And if I saw some red glare in a tree, I would be concerned a wild animal is stalking me LOL

Azman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do have this one. It is the one on the right. I extended the hood to keep the security light off the front of the camera at night. I can get more pictures if you need them.View attachment 187568 if you need them.
Thanks. Very clever.

Can I assume it is next to a sidewalk? If it is, how far away would people be walking past?

The other thing is, in which direction does it face. I have a similar intersection that I live on which faces directly west, so the afternoon sun is terrible for the image in the late afternoon before the sun sets. But if I was to mount a camera on the tree under the canopy for the tree it would remove all that direct sunlight on the camera.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. Very clever.

Can I assume it is next to a sidewalk? If it is, how far away would people be walking past?

The other thing is, in which direction does it face. I have a similar intersection that I live on which faces directly west, so the afternoon sun is terrible for the image in the late afternoon before the sun sets. But if I was to mount a camera on the tree under the canopy for the tree it would remove all that direct sunlight on the camera.
Yes, it is only a few feet from the sidewalk. This camera faces North, so it is not affected by sunlight. Especially with the hood extender. There is one on the other side of the tree facing South. Here is a nighttime picture from the camera next to it. You can get a feel of how far it is from the sidewalk.

2242024 Camera 3F Night.jpg

Azman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it is only a few feet from the sidewalk. This camera faces North, so it is not affected by sunlight. Especially with the hood extender. There is one on the other side of the tree facing South. Here is a nighttime picture from the camera next to it. You can get a feel of how far it is from the sidewalk.
Thanks. Gives me some food for thought.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Your willpower is much stronger than mine @Parley , I'm afraid that tree would be gone :rofl:
Yeah but then your neighbourhood becomes like living in central NY where trees are replaced by bare landscape or hookers and druggies. :lol: In a clearance he might even get the tent people. :lol: Better the tree you know than the tent you don't! I'm also wondering if he owns the tree as it maybe the local authorities given it's on public land in which case cutting it could be criminal damage. I'm guessing if he was worried by the view, a new mail box or statue would have appeared in the front yard complete with covert camera as Parley's very creative.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the hardware on this new version of the Z4 somewhat different than my previous generation Z4's?
im seeing night plates in color on this post....thats not supposed to be a thing...:)
but yet there they are on Parleys post.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah but then your neighbourhood becomes like living in central NY where trees are replaced by bare landscape or hookers and druggies. :lol: In a clearance he might even get the tent people. :lol: Better the tree you know than the tent you don't! I'm also wondering if he owns the tree as it maybe the local authorities given it's on public land in which case cutting it could be criminal damage. I'm guessing if he was worried by the view, a new mail box or statue would have appeared in the front yard complete with covert camera as Parley's very creative.
You are correct. The tree actually belongs to the city. But I do trim it to the benefit of my cameras.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
@Parley Have you caught anyone noticing the cameras in the tree? Do they try to inspect closer? Any of your neighbors?
Yes. some do. However, I would say the majority of people just walk on by. I will say the vast majority of the people that walk by live in the area and are probably used to the cameras being there. One interesting thing is that when the Snowy Owl was across the street, a lot of people did not know that the cameras were there. Here are two photos from that day as I was watching them.

Camera 3F Owl 12302022.jpg

Camera 4B Onyx Owl.jpg

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
LOL on dude wearing full Camo-Gear plus Camo-Hat ... is he hoping that will help him blend in with the surroundings so the Owl isn't "spooked" by him ... versus the dozens of other people milling around! ;-)

P.S. More Canon cameras? "Big Whites" are probably 70-200, 100-400, and guessing that's a 600 F/4 on the tripod in the top left of the 1st image ... which "wins" biggest lens(?) ... except the Camo Lens (right side of 2nd image) is also a contender.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
White lens are Canon's pro series "L" lenses. They cost $$$$'s. They used to be exclusively white with a red band, although I believe they now do some black versions with red banding The guy on the street corner with the tripod and massive Canon lens in front of the guy in the fluo jacket could be sporting a $15k lens. I reckon anyone of those would work quite nicely on your cctv camera with an adaptor. ;)