Missing the first 1-2 seconds from each motion detect video

Mattist

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a few different Amcrest IP cameras installed in various locations. They are all hardwired and upload directly to an Amazon EC2 FTP instance. However, I'm missing the first 1-2 seconds of some of the captured videos.

When I spoke with Amcrest they advised me that their cameras actually don't have RAM (aside from a very small buffer) and stream directly to the FTP after detecting motion. This was quite a surprise to me and provided a reasonable explanation for the issue described above. I assume that small disruption in the initial connection could lead to the missing fragments. Amcrest is supposed to support a 2 sec prerecording of all events but our experience is quite different.

So my questions are the following:
1. Can you suggest a different camera that will behave better in the described setup (IP cam, preferably PoE, indoor AND outdoor, reliable FTP upload without ghousting and missing segments, avoiding NVR or local storage)?
2. Have you had similar issues with Amcrest and do you have a suggestion how I can resolve them?

Thanks,
Matt

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
1. Can you suggest a different camera that will behave better in the described setup (IP cam, preferably PoE, indoor AND outdoor, reliable FTP upload without ghousting and missing segments, avoiding NVR or local storage)?
It's not so much the camera as the destination of the video stream that's the problem.

Typically, when recording to an NVR or CMS, even on an event-driven recording action the destination is continuously buffering the video, according to the configured pre-record setting, such that the video stream prior to the actual event can be saved as the first part of the recording.
An FTP destination is more usually for on-event snaphots.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a few different Amcrest IP cameras installed in various locations. They are all hardwired and upload directly to an Amazon EC2 FTP instance. However, I'm missing the first 1-2 seconds of some of the captured videos.

When I spoke with Amcrest they advised me that their cameras actually don't have RAM (aside from a very small buffer) and stream directly to the FTP after detecting motion. This was quite a surprise to me and provided a reasonable explanation for the issue described above. I assume that small disruption in the initial connection could lead to the missing fragments. Amcrest is supposed to support a 2 sec prerecording of all events but our experience is quite different.

So my questions are the following:
2. Have you had similar issues with Amcrest and do you have a suggestion how I can resolve them?

Thanks,
Matt
try matching the iframe interval to your fps...
dont rely on ftp...use a proper local recording medium..