Money & Economics

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, let's blame it on the boomers, too.....:wtf:
Blame .. well, I didn't think to use that word .. fine then, perhaps we should start and blame the parents for starting a life ..

honestly, everything is a trade off ..

Drug companies are making bank from the elderly .. pushing many elderly into medicare and medicaid sooner ..

Countless companies making bank for making American's unhealthy and having unhealthy American's .. ( we've seen this in the Pandemic ) ..

It starts to get very complex .. piles of money is put into the US healthcare .. and a lot of that goes into someone's profits ..

then there's the question of Total Cost of Care .. and standard of life questions ..

for example : Cataract surgery
Should we cover it? Should we cover the laser version of it? or just the old style ?

It get very complex one you start digging more into this topic .. and yes, the needle exchange programs for drug users have had calculations done and often the argument for them is to reduce diseases like HIV / AIDS ..

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There was a discussion a few weeks ago about medicare and medicaid ballooning in the federal budget. It was in the electric car thread and I don't want to continue it there. Anyway, here's yet another reason for medicaid costing more.

Oregon plans to use Medicaid money for rental assistance for those who qualify

And from other tax money in Multnomah county, Oregon:

View attachment 171903

CARTOON: ALL THE HOMELESS FREE STUFF YOUR TAXES PAY FOR
Oregon is way worse than that. My wife has a patient who got gender disaffirming care absolutely "free" from the Oregon Health Plan, which is free healthcare for poor people. Whacked the balls off, went by Suzie or some such name, the whole nine yards. Realized it was a mistake, wants prosthetic balls put back in, it will be completely "free"... but the hospital that did the snipping seems to be pushing back against the reversal.

People are not getting covered by Oregon Health Plan for asthma inhalers, a life saving device, but are getting free cosmetic surgery, and then free reversal of cosmetic surgery.

We live in profoundly stupid times.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oregon is way worse than that. My wife has a patient who got gender disaffirming care absolutely "free" from the Oregon Health Plan, which is free healthcare for poor people. Whacked the balls off, went by Suzie or some such name, the whole nine yards. Realized it was a mistake, wants prosthetic balls put back in, it will be completely "free"... but the hospital that did the snipping seems to be pushing back against the reversal.

People are not getting covered by Oregon Health Plan for asthma inhalers, a life saving device, but are getting free cosmetic surgery, and then free reversal of cosmetic surgery.

We live in profoundly stupid times.
perhaps it is good service to provide this for free .. some probably should not reproduce .. looks like a long term good roi for the tax payer to me ..

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
perhaps it is good service to provide this for free .. some probably should not reproduce .. looks like a long term good roi for the tax payer to me ..
I'm always saying the issue is mostly self-correcting...

Many (most?) trans people are simply gay. Those relationships don't produce children either. Adults are free to do any number of foolish things to their body, it just shouldn't be funded by taxpayers.

My wild progressive idea is to have taxpayer funded IUD (easily reversible birth control) as an opt-out service for all reproductive aged girls. That makes babies an opt-in decision rather than an unintentional consequence of fun.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My wild progressive idea is to have taxpayer funded IUD (easily reversible birth control) as an opt-out service for all reproductive aged girls.
Great idea!
And the cheaper, the better...like maybe a cork for the girls, right?
And if the guys feel left out, fit 'em with a worm gear hose clamp. :lmao:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just like the commercial banks...

The Fed Is Losing Money And You're Going To Foot The Bill

The last time the Fed reported net operating losses was in 1915.

According to the Fed report, as of June 30, the central bank held roughly $5.5 trillion in US Treasuries with an average yield of 1.96%. It also held $2.6 trillion of mortgage-backed securities with an average yield of 2.20%. Meanwhile, the average interest rate the Fed paid on money it held, along with repo agreements and other operations averaged around 5%.

It’s also important to note that the Federal Reserve has shed almost $1 trillion from its balance sheet in quantitative tightening.

The results were predictable. Through the first half of the year, the Federal Reserve reported $88.4 billion in interest income. But it paid out $141.8 billion in interest expense. That adds up to a lot of red ink.

It’s also interesting to note that like many commercial banks, the Fed has substantial unrealized losses. If you mark all of the bonds held by the Fed to market value, the loss on paper is over $1 trillion. That’s more around 23 times the value of the central bank’s stated capital.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm always saying the issue is mostly self-correcting...

Many (most?) trans people are simply gay. Those relationships don't produce children either. Adults are free to do any number of foolish things to their body, it just shouldn't be funded by taxpayers.

My wild progressive idea is to have taxpayer funded IUD (easily reversible birth control) as an opt-out service for all reproductive aged girls. That makes babies an opt-in decision rather than an unintentional consequence of fun.
interesting .. imho still the larger issue remains of 3rd world population growth and migration to the USA ..

1694654744006.png

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
interesting .. imho still the larger issue remains of 3rd world population growth and migration to the USA ..
So long as we don't have adequate reproduction, immigration is necessary. Immigration is different from illegal occupation though.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score