Money & Economics

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pond water is no problem as filters for drinking water are cheap. Example:

Deep well hand pumps will set you back say... 800 bucks to a few grand so...

Once again, the problem isn't having this stuff, the problem is keeping it. You think people are turning to shit now? Heh....

Edit: I see some Amazon disclaimer was added to the end of my post (not by me...).
What is this?

1707577149300.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
IPCT is apparently participating in Amazon's affiliate program. Many many sites do.
The host site gets a small commission for whatever you buy through that link.

At my former employer with 250K-500K users per website we used to be able to make big money with it. They have since diminished the program benefits but its a harmless affiliate program at the end of the day

Its actually commendable that IPCT shows the affiliate connection text

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IPCT is apparently participating in Amazon's affiliate program. Many many sites do.
The host site gets a small commission for whatever you buy through that link.

At my former employer with 250K-500K users per website we used to be able to make big money with it. They have since diminished the program benefits but its a harmless affiliate program at the end of the day

Its actually commendable that IPCT shows the affiliate connection text
Wonder if I can just put this tag on the end of all my Amazon purchases which I see at the end of yours and Ssayer's Amazon links, will IPCT will get a commission?

?tag=ipctk-20

1707588942952.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
it’s complicated.
Generally speaking nope. It’s based on how the program rules work, which have been changing unfavorably for affiliate partners over the last few years.

Typically each link or user session is stand alone and expires at some point.

There for a while it was as much as 7%+ on ALL purchases made by the user who went through the affiliate link. Now it’s much smaller and I think only applies to the specific product.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Two articles that help one understand the precarious position the US finds itself in. There are no good choices left

Global Economic War Is Coming And The Threat To The US Dollar Is Real
Global Economic War Is Coming And The Threat To The US Dollar Is Real | ZeroHedge

Gold Wars: The US Versus Europe During The Demise Of Bretton Woods

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting. I would assume it would be easiest just to increase the price to accommodate the CC processing fees they are worried about. Then state there is NO ADDITIONAL cost for CC versus cash. I assume that that is pretty much how all major businesses do it anyway.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. I would assume it would be easiest just to increase the price to accommodate the CC processing fees they are worried about. Then state there is NO ADDITIONAL cost for CC versus cash. I assume that that is pretty much how all major businesses do it anyway.

The issue is that the cc companies increase their fees and demand that the price be the same as a cash price .. I know many Chinese restaurants do not take cc in some parts of town .. too many issues with cc companies

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
The issue is that the cc companies increase their fees and demand that the price be the same as a cash price .. I know many Chinese restaurants do not take cc in some parts of town .. too many issues with cc companies
Very rarely will I use a CC if there is a higher price for CC use. I carry maybe $40 in cash on me which isn't enough to fill the gas tank. The only thing I might use CC is on gunbroker (which is now an overpriced BS website with all the BS fees) to avoid the trouble of mailing a USPS money order. I do this even if it ends up costing me 1% more for using the CC because it's worth it to avoid the hassle of a trip to the post office with cash in hand. But, I agree with businesses that don't want to accept CC...no problem with that at all.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed the same in a few restaurants, Mexican and Chinese, they charge 3-5% more for using CC, so you pay an extra dollar fifty on a $30 tab @ 5%.

This bring up tips...now that servers no longer only make minimum wage, what are you guys tipping now a days? Crazy how some places show up to 30% tip on receipts/kiosk, that is $9 on a $30 tab, plus the $1.50 for using a CC, a third of your tab???
I find myself still tipping around/avg. 15%

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
@Sybertiger , you need a little more WAM: Walking Around Money. I usually have about 400 in my wallet.
Yeah, I'd be a terrible target for muggers. They'd be disappointed. The last time I carried a bunch of cash was going to a gun show but I stopped going to those years ago. Especially the fake ones where the show is discouraging individuals selling directly.

I don't feel the need for more than $40 in my pocket. If I need more I'll hit the atm or go grab some out of the safe.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed the same in a few restaurants, Mexican and Chinese, they charge 3-5% more for using CC, so you pay an extra dollar fifty on a $30 tab @ 5%.

This bring up tips...now that servers no longer only make minimum wage, what are you guys tipping now a days? Crazy how some places show up to 30% tip on receipts/kiosk, that is $9 on a $30 tab, plus the $1.50 for using a CC, a third of your tab???
I find myself still tipping around/avg. 15%
20% same as always for me. Easy to do the math in my head fast

Now on some apps like Instacart and Door Dash, I'll usually go with the one they default to sometimes as low as 10% and go back and give extra if the service was above average