Monoprice cable recall

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume a lot of you will be getting this notice. I wonder how many people will want to rip out what took so much work to install?

Monoprice Voluntary Product Recall
"Monoprice will be providing inspection and removal services for the recalled cable and will provide installation of UL 1666 compliant replacement CMR cable, as approved by the CPSC, free of charge "

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I read the part about the installation, and OK to call me a snob about this. I don't think a contractor is going to put in the loving care and attention to detail I did. Even worse, the affected cable I got is installed at our church. Fishing it was extremely difficult and other people spent hours closing up the walls and floors I had ripped open. Feels like a disaster to me, at least a mini-disaster.

taschenmesser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ran a couple hundred feet of this cable in March, it was an incredible amount of work. I am done with Monoprice.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I am done with Monoprice.
Did you check the jacket markings with those listed in the recall? If not, there's hope you're safe. As far as being done with Monoprice goes, I'm guessing that there are probably a lot of other cable suppliers that got the same cable from the same chinese factory.

Reaction score
That is pretty amazing--- the lengths to which they are going to correct this issue. They are going to spend thousands of dollars for every $100 box of cable they sold.

...I'm guessing that there are probably a lot of other cable suppliers that got the same cable from the same chinese factory.
hmmmm..... How will that Chineses company recover from this mess? Perhaps they will learn NOT to mark inferior cable with standards they don't meet.

taschenmesser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you check the jacket markings with those listed in the recall? If not, there's hope you're safe. As far as being done with Monoprice goes, I'm guessing that there are probably a lot of other cable suppliers that got the same cable from the same chinese factory.
Yes, I checked it and this is indeed the cable I ran. Fair enough that other suppliers may have the same cable, but this speaks incredibly poorly on Monorpice IMO. I can't even fathom the amount of work it will be to replace the runs I did.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Damn, I have a 1000ft spool laying around. I have yet to open it. May be I can get a replacement?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This is really suspicious, makes sense now why these cables were selling for cheap in recent months. Was able to score 1000ft from monoprice via amazon for 60 bucks. I haven’t opened the box yet but is eligible for replacement

the blame really goes on cheap manufacturing especially as China continues to surface in the news; when will thecompanies learn to stop being cheap?!

How about we all buy American made cables?

How about we all stop buying foreign made goods for the time being?

Reaction score
Hmm. I guess I can expect a good number of 3rd party requests for re-cable jobs coming up :)
And please note...this applies to CMP (plenum) cable. If you installed it in your house, the copper is still good. It's just the jacket material that is toxic when on fire. Granted, you will have other things to worry about elsewhere in the house if there are flames out & about.
For reference, I ran CMR thru my house, not CMP.
My concern would be those who installed in medical, educational govt locations.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Did everyone here get the email?

kewlbass

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking at the recall notice I received. It specifically states CMR:
  • (UL) E467139 23AWGX4P CMR CAT6 UTP RoHS Compliance XXXXFT.
  • (UL) E333346 23AWGX4P CMR CAT6 UTP RoHS Compliance XXXXFT.
  • (UL) E339722 23AWGX4P CMR CAT6 UTP RoHS Compliance XXXXFT.
I wired my whole house with this stuff.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmm. I guess I can expect a good number of 3rd party requests for re-cable jobs coming up :)
And please note...this applies to CMP (plenum) cable. If you installed it in your house, the copper is still good. It's just the jacket material that is toxic when on fire. Granted, you will have other things to worry about elsewhere in the house if there are flames out & about.
For reference, I ran CMR thru my house, not CMP.
My concern would be those who installed in medical, educational govt locations.
Have you ever checked above the ceiling tiles in those older buildings, 30 years worth of cable from fire to telephone and older communications wires ...if there was a fire, the
mono price cable, working as its suppose too would not do much anyway to prevent the fire or toxic fumes from spreading when 99% of the cable is not to code anyway.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Is that also made in the People's Republic of China?

Its sickening because whoever makes these consumables doesn't seem to be ashamed. It turns out the vast majority of laborers are only working just to get the paycheck. I don't think they enjoy the work they do nor do they know how the damn things work. Companies will do anything to manufacture junk offshore :(

You'll have 1 or 2 "engineers" (notice the quotation marks) at the end of the assembly line doing final quality checks, but in reality its the engineering team elsewhere that is making all the internal decisions in terms of design and materials

Knowing how to put things together is simply not enough; you need to how it works, and why it is put together that way. Then you will have a quality product. Heck even the paper manuals should be written in a coherent fashion, not like 1+1 = 3

You can't just copy and paste, unless you want to drive around in a fake Mercedes

Again, I'll say it again ---> Cheap Labor = Modern Day Slavery (the dollar value has gone up in the last century to justify this reasoning)

I bought 2,000 ft of this Riser-rated Cat5e locally at Menards....

Last edited: