Montaview products anyone tried them?

SurGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Mat200. As they are Dahua rebranded, they are supplying a similar camera, if not identical, supplying U.S. based tech support, warranty, etc. If the price is similar or even a little more than a Dahua international model, you would be better off to go with them for the warranty and support. Also, just read through their camera listing, their "Color Night Vision" is not misleading at all since they state you need light to produce that color image, and state how much light you need.

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone. First post on the forum. I’m very new to the camera world. I have been reading up and studying as much as I can before posting anything on here. First, thank you to the masterminds that have created this forum. It’s honest and straight to the point, and unlike many other sites I have visited, everyone seems to be on the same page for the most part. Now to my question, I was looking into purchasing Dahua or Hikvision. Unknown to me, the wife and parents purchased me an 8 channel Montavue system with two cameras. I have a pretty good understanding from reading on here that most would recommend Dahua or Hikvision even though it’s rebranded Dahua. So my question is, should I return the Montavue system before I open it, or does it just come down to a price difference and the system is actually ok? I will say, I called them to ask about junction boxes, and I was talking to someone speaking English within about two minutes. Customer support was outstanding. As far as the color night vision, when I read the specs on the cameras, it does say that, but then clarifies and says it can do color down to .08 lux. The cameras in question are their MTE 4104 “eyeball” cameras. 4MP and 30fps. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to the feedback. Side note, at this time I don’t plan on using blue iris until I become a little more proficient. Their tech support said it can be done if I decide to do it, and to give them a call to help me configure it. PS, I have read the cliff notes.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Eric R ,
I have not tried them, but I looked at the cam and it's specs here and IMO, I would not send the 2 back. They've got a lot going for them: re-branded Dahua, turret-style, POE, audio, ONVIF, 2 year warranty and USA-based support (which you have tested). Not to mention, they have what we call "WAF" (Wife Approval Factor), since she participated in their purchase (would likely not sit well with her if you returned them). Happy wife = happy life, brother.

You should be able to add similarly-spec'd cams in the future as you see fit up to the NVR's 8 channel capacity and even utilize BI with ease someday as you indicated you might do.

EDIT: just remembered....insure the included CAT-5e cables are pure copper, not CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum). The tipoff? A 100 ft. coil of CCA weighs noticeably less than a 100 ft. coil of solid copper.

Last edited:

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
@Eric R ,
I have not tried them, but I looked at the cam and it's specs here and IMO, I would not send the 2 back. They've got a lot going for them: re-branded Dahua, turret-style, POE, audio, ONVIF, 2 year warranty and USA-based support (which you have tested). Not to mention, they have what we call "WAF" (Wife Approval Factor), since she participated in their purchase (would likely not sit well with her if you returned them). Happy wife = happy life, brother.

You should be able to add similarly-spec'd cams in the future as you see fit up to the NVR's 8 channel capacity and even utilize BI with ease someday as you indicated you might do.
Thanks Tony. Just a correction, the camera is an MTE4104. Eyeball without audio. I think you pulled up the MTT4104. Still an ok camera? And I agree with the wife comment lol. Although she would 109% support me if I felt there was a better option in the same price range.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. Just a correction, the camera is an MTE4104. Eyeball without audio. I think you pulled up the MTT4104. Still an ok camera? And I agree with the wife comment lol. Although she would 109% support me if I felt there was a better option in the same price range.
Oops. My bad.
I'd prefer the turret over the eyeball (I live in middle of a national forest area, LOTS of spiders.
The audio not as important to me...how about you?
How much trouble/cost to swap for the turret?

Also, see my edit above regarding CCA.

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
Oops. My bad.
I'd prefer the turret over the eyeball (I live in middle of a national forest area, LOTS of spiders.
The audio not as important to me...how about you?
How much trouble/cost to swap for the turret?

Also, see my edit above regarding CCA.
Great, thank you. I may look into swapping to the turret. And thanks for the edit. Should be good on wire. Had a camera installer give me some and said “it’s the good stuff”.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. First post on the forum. I’m very new to the camera world. I have been reading up and studying as much as I can before posting anything on here. First, thank you to the masterminds that have created this forum. It’s honest and straight to the point, and unlike many other sites I have visited, everyone seems to be on the same page for the most part. Now to my question, I was looking into purchasing Dahua or Hikvision. Unknown to me, the wife and parents purchased me an 8 channel Montavue system with two cameras. I have a pretty good understanding from reading on here that most would recommend Dahua or Hikvision even though it’s rebranded Dahua. So my question is, should I return the Montavue system before I open it, or does it just come down to a price difference and the system is actually ok? I will say, I called them to ask about junction boxes, and I was talking to someone speaking English within about two minutes. Customer support was outstanding. As far as the color night vision, when I read the specs on the cameras, it does say that, but then clarifies and says it can do color down to .08 lux. The cameras in question are their MTE 4104 “eyeball” cameras. 4MP and 30fps. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to the feedback. Side note, at this time I don’t plan on using blue iris until I become a little more proficient. Their tech support said it can be done if I decide to do it, and to give them a call to help me configure it. PS, I have read the cliff notes.
That camera is a low end dahua with a 1/3" sensor, it will perform poorly at night despite deceptive color night vision advertising. There are much better low light cameras available from dahua or ipct/hik. Start reading.

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
That camera is a low end dahua with a 1/3" sensor, it will perform poorly at night despite deceptive color night vision advertising. There are much better low light cameras available from dahua or ipct/hik. Start reading.
Thank you fenderman. I’m just trying to get into something that is decent, then as time goes, upgrade to better cameras. I have a lot of residual light around my property, so I’m guessing that will be beneficial with the 1/3 sensor.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you fenderman. I’m just trying to get into something that is decent, then as time goes, upgrade to better cameras. I have a lot of residual light around my property, so I’m guessing that will be beneficial with the 1/3 sensor.
That makes no sense. There MUCH better cameras available for less.

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
That makes no sense. There MUCH better cameras available for less.
Full disclosure, my wife called the company direct and asked for a quote for 8 channel NVR and two cameras that I listed. Montavue knocked the price of the cameras in half down to $70 each.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Full disclosure, my wife called the company direct and asked for a quote for 8 channel NVR and two cameras that I listed. Montavue knocked the price of the cameras in half down to $70 each.
doesnt matter. for 100 you can buy a fixed dahua starlight turret with slow shipping. but if you want to start with crap and buy twice, install twice, and clean spider webs off it, that is up to you.

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
doesnt matter. for 100 you can buy a fixed dahua starlight turret with slow shipping. but if you want to start with crap and buy twice, install twice, and clean spider webs off it, that is up to you.
Thank you for all the info.

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
Will the cameras listed in the store all work with a Dahua 8 channel NVR without losing all the IVS features?

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
No those are Hikvision cameras.
Ok. I’m a little confused on the ONVIF. Doesn’t that make it compatible to use with other ONVIF compatible devices? Sorry for all the questions. It’s a little overwhelming starting out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. I’m a little confused on the ONVIF. Doesn’t that make it compatible to use with other ONVIF compatible devices? Sorry for all the questions. It’s a little overwhelming starting out.
No, most of the time only standard motion detection will work not Ivs. It's not a perfected standard.