Motion detection question: Dahua NVR and cameras

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having a local vendor install a system in my house. I'd like to be able to see motion detection events on the NVR or an app. When I asked the vendor about it he said that they don't set them up for motion detection and that would be something extra. Does that seem right? Can't all NVRs log motion events and provide video of just those events if I want to see it?

Thanks for any input.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm having a local vendor install a system in my house. I'd like to be able to see motion detection events on the NVR or an app. When I asked the vendor about it he said that they don't set them up for motion detection and that would be something extra. Does that seem right? Can't all NVRs log motion events and provide video of just those events if I want to see it?

Thanks for any input.
No surprise your vendor does not want to mess with any of that, I have seen a few of those guys out there and they are either too lazy or incompetent or just do not want to deal with it. Charge you extra? B.S. To better answer your questions, what are the system specs?

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No surprise your vendor does not want to mess with any of that, I have seen a few of those guys out there and they are either too lazy or incompetent or just do not want to deal with it. Charge you extra? B.S. To better answer your questions, what are the system specs?
The NVR is model N52B2P. The cameras are 4mp starlight eyeball (not sure the model).

EDIT: Looks like the cameras are N44BG52. Wonder if I should invest in 4k?

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
So I looked at your gear that the installer spec'd..the good news its dahua USA, they give you 3 years, the bad news is the cams might not meet your needs especially at night.
The NVR is good and should have no issues setting motion yourself, tons of good articles all over the form about that. If you did not sign yet with the contractor, you might hold up and take a look at different cams. As far as 4k goes, that means nothing, dahua has 2mp Starlite cams with the STARVIS sensor that will do a LOT better most of the time in low light conditions. Your cams quoted are either 2.8 or 3.6mm fixed lens with less than desired progressive scan sensors. Read up.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I looked at your gear that the installer spec'd..the good news its dahua USA, they give you 3 years, the bad news is the cams might not meet your needs especially at night.
The NVR is good and should have no issues setting motion yourself, tons of good articles all over the form about that. If you did not sign yet with the contractor, you might hold up and take a look at different cams. As far as 4k goes, that means nothing, dahua has 2mp Starlite cams with the STARVIS sensor that will do a LOT better most of the time in low light conditions. Your cams quoted are either 2.8 or 3.6mm fixed lens with less than desired progressive scan sensors. Read up.
Thanks. They quoted the 2.8mm. Not sure they sell the 2mp but I'll check.

What kind of motion detect range can I expect with these cams?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You don't want to use "motion detection", IMO. It's old technology that most folks find hard to tune to reduce constant false alerts without it becoming so detuned that it starts missing legitimate motion. Your Dahua cameras should come with a better form of motion detection called "IVS". While this isn't perfect either, it should be significantly better than "motion detection" when it comes to reducing false alerts without missing true events.

Also FWIW, this US model is one of the '5442' International models that are so popular with folks here. The 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor in this model is about the best bang for the buck in terms of low-light image performance, IMO.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You don't want to use "motion detection", IMO. It's old technology that most folks find hard to tune to reduce constant false alerts without it becoming so detuned that it starts missing legitimate motion. Your Dahua cameras should come with a better form of motion detection called "IVS". While this isn't perfect either, it should be significantly better than "motion detection" when it comes to reducing false alerts without missing true events.

Also FWIW, this US model is one of the '5442' International models that are so popular with folks here. The 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor in this model is about the best bang for the buck in terms of low-light image performance, IMO.
I don't want to get alerts but I'd like to be able to look at the days video and see when motion was detected so I can look at those events. Will that work?

I'll check out that camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously, educate yourself before signing. In a short time, you can probably know more about the systems than the installer does.
2.8mm lens is so wide angle, to get a face ID the perp would need to be 10 ft or less from the camera, not good.
Start your education here: Cliff Notes
And read this attachment.

Attachments

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seriously, educate yourself before signing. In a short time, you can probably know more about the systems than the installer does.
2.8mm lens is so wide angle, to get a face ID the perp would need to be 10 ft or less from the camera, not good.
Start your education here: Cliff Notes
And read this attachment.
They don't sell anything below 4mp (that I see). I do have the choice of 2.8 or 3.6 mm.

Thanks for the attachment. Reading.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Tons of YouTube videos on how to set up motion detection and/or ivs type detection. You can learn a lot from the videos too. I'm using a mix of simple motion detection and ivs but that's in combination with recording full time 24/7 for every channel. Ivs can be less effective at night so it's not the end all solution. Depends on the how you have your camera view too. Motion detection is still highly effective on doorways for example, blocking out most all of the area accept by the doors. I think your best bet is actually setting simple motion detection just to start and then if the cameras/nvr are capable, start to dial in ivs rules which can take lots more noodling to get the best results. But setting up simple motion detection will at least get the events easier to find and you'll catch on pretty darn quickly about how best to dial that in.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an 8 channel dahua setup and honestly, for the doorbell I went with the ring pro doorbell. It's been really good. It's tuned perfectly with no false triggers. It's so much more flexible in terms of quick phone alerts for multiple family members, Alexa and ring security system, etc. The nvr gives the ultimate recordings. The doorbell offers a perfect shot at the door, as it should. Nowhere near the 4mp camera quality but a perfect addition.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an 8 channel dahua setup and honestly, for the doorbell I went with the ring pro doorbell. It's been really good. It's tuned perfectly with no false triggers. It's so much more flexible in terms of quick phone alerts for multiple family members, Alexa and ring security system, etc. The nvr gives the ultimate recordings. The doorbell offers a perfect shot at the door, as it should. Nowhere near the 4mp camera quality but a perfect addition.
You can't see the Ring through the NVR, correct? You just see it on your phone and the video is in the cloud, right? Any fee?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct and not being tied to the nvr is exactly why I prefer it for the doorbell. Someone rings the bell or deliveries, I want that hitting my phone easy and quick. Not to say that the dahua doorbell wouldn't. Just my preference. You don't need to pay for a plan but since it's the only ring camera I will ever have I subscribe to the 30 bucks a year plan. A pittance really, considering. Lots of doorbell choices. This was just my choice. Worked out great. But for ring, only the wired doorbell. Don't even bother with the battery versions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The rep is now suggesting that I get this package because I added the doorbell camera. 8-Channel Video Doorbell Security System

The NVR is different and the cameras too.
That is a crap system with 1/3 sensor 4mp cameras. Horrible at night. If the dont sell what you want, tell him to either buy it or you will buy and he can install or you will simply go with someone else. These installers are unloading 60-80 dollar crap cameras on you.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think the original system he quoted would be better:

N52B2P NVR

N44BG52 cameras

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would be better off to hire someone to run the wires and then you put up the cameras that meet your needs based on research you do.

You will quickly be disappointed in those 2.8 or 3.6mm cameras.

Varifocal beats a fixed lens almost every time - the ability to zoom in and dial it in to be able to get the face is what you need.

Too many people get fascinated with the wide angle views that Arlos and other "all in one units" and such can provide. But the picture is really no different than taking one from the same place as a cell phone - take that picture and then zoom in and it is a pixelated mess.

You would be shocked how close someone needs to be to a 2.8 or 3.6mm lens in order to ID them. The varifocal allows you to zoom in to "pinch points" and get a much closer shot. The trade off is the field of view or what you can see isn't as much, but you then get a clear picture of the person.

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed 4 arlos to see his entire property. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away.

When we had a thief come thru here and get into a lot of cars, the police couldn't use one video or photo from anyone's system that had fixed 2.8mm or 3.6mm cams - the arlo sure looks nice and gives a great wide angle view, but you cannot identify anyone at 15 feet out. At night you cannot even ID someone from 10 feet. Meanwhile, the perp didn't come to my house but walked past on the sidewalk at 80 feet from my house and my varifocal zoomed in to a point at the sidewalk was the money shot for the police.

In fact my system was the only one that gave them useful information. Not even my other neighbors $1,300 4MP Lorex system from Costco provided useful info - the cams just didn't cut it at night. His system wasn't even a year old and after that event has started replacing with cameras purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY on this site based on my recommendation and seeing my results.

My first few systems were the box units that were all 2.8mm lens and while the picture looked great in daytime, to identify someone you didn't know is impossible unless they are within 10 feet of the camera, and even then it is tough. You are getting the benefit coming to this site of hearing thoughts from people that have been there/done that.

We all hate to be that guy with a system and something happens and the event demonstrates how poor our system was and then we start the update process. My neighbor with his expensive arlos and monthly fees is that guy right now and is still fuming his system failed him.

An NVR is basically a computer that all it can do is that and usually not very well. I have had NVRs in the past and am now a BI user and will never go back. Playback was horrible trying to find something even if only set to record on motion. Every morning in Blue Iris in under 1 minute and I can quickly see if anything happened I need to investigate. It took forever to try to find an event on the NVR. I didn't see my electric bill go up when I made the switch. I actually still have an old NVR going just for kicks and backup until it dies. We had a power outage recently and the BI computer lasted the entire outage on backup power and the NVR did not - two separate backup units but the exact same model purchased at same time. You run the computer without the monitor on and BI runs as a service and you don't run anything else on it and the power isn't really as much as you think.

Take some more time and buy once, not twice.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score