Mount camera to vinyl soffit

agent0

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to know how you guys are mounting security cameras under vinyl soffits. I've heard stories of 2x4's being used in order to provide backing for the camera. However, is this really necessary I'm sure professional installers do not spend there days cutting up 2x4's. So with that said I'm curious in knowing alternate methods.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to the forum. Please take a few days and read the ipcamtalk.com wiki notes page above. You will learn a lot.

for now this may help you.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
As shown in the last post of the above link, using the proper camera mounting box, terminating the CAT-5e or 6 with the RJ-45 to allow a 3/8" for the cable VS. a 3/4" hole for a pigtail, is preferred by most.

Also, the additional standoff from the soffit provided by the box may also prevent some IR bounce-back at night by getting the camera below any edge trim or gutters attached to the outside of the soffit.

agent0

n3wb
Reaction score
I posted pictures of the areas I want to mount I actually already pulled cat5e to these locations. Of course I will need to increase the hole size in order to accommodate all cables mainly the water connector. Thanks for the quick response I just figured there was another way besides cutting 2x4's. I spoke to a professional installer a few weeks back he stated that most of the time they lock into soffit with toggle bolts.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I posted pictures of the areas I want to mount I actually already pulled cat5e to these locations. Of course I will need to increase the hole size in order to accommodate all cables mainly the water connector. Thanks for the quick response I just figured there was another way besides cutting 2x4's. I spoke to a professional installer a few weeks back he stated that most of the time they lock into soffit with toggle bolts.
Did you follow link in @dudemaar 's post above and read what others have done? You don't have to install 2x4's, there are other ways.
Also, you still want to NOT use a box and drill a big hole for the pigtail vs. a small hole for the cable?
Certainly, it's your call.....just wanted to insure you read your options.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @agent0

Remember to test the positions before final commitments to the locations.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is what I did. Just paint it to blend in and can be easily moved.
If I'm not mistaken, this is the video I saw maybe last year when another forum member shared it and is a great idea, IMO; wanted to share it on this thread with @agent0 but couldn't locate so thanks for sharing it!

Lostmutt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, this is the video I saw maybe last year when another forum member shared it and is a great idea, IMO; wanted to share it on this thread with @agent0 but couldn't locate so thanks for sharing it!
No problem. I realize it my not work for everyone, but it worked great for me. The main problem I had was finding pieces of sheet aluminum to cut. Finally found a sheet metal place that did custom gutters and bought a scrap sheet.

Mac13

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to know how you guys are mounting security cameras under vinyl soffits. I've heard stories of 2x4's being used in order to provide backing for the camera. However, is this really necessary I'm sure professional installers do not spend there days cutting up 2x4's. So with that said I'm curious in knowing alternate methods.
Hi Agent do you end up mounting your cameras? If so, how did you end up doing it? I'm in the same dilemma. Thanks!

entreri

n3wb
Reaction score
Isn't the method with the aluminum strips risky? I'm thinking someone could simply slightly pull on the camera, unplug it, and walk away with it. Well with a stepladder of course.

On the other hand removing a soffit plate to fit a 2x4 behind it is complicated:
  • the fasteners are behind the flashing, so got to remove the flashing first
  • the fascia is going to be in the way too, probably don't need to remove it completely, maybe lifting it a little to get nails off and pry the soffit panel out

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I mount my turrets directly to the soffit by using the type of fastener pictured below. Then you only need to open it enough to get your hand in to hold the wing nut and get it started. Turrets are pretty light weight so this may not work for heavier cameras.
fastener.png

soffit.jpg

Reaction score
I use the technique referenced in this post,

The aluminum flat stock is available at Lowe's if you have one in your area

Spray paint the flat stock white (or whatever color works with your house) and it looks good!

superdave99

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use the technique referenced in this post,

The aluminum flat stock is available at Lowe's if you have one in your area

Spray paint the flat stock white (or whatever color works with your house) and it looks good!

superdave99
Thank you! I'll pick them up tomorrow.

Lostmutt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I cut it just wide enough to cover the base mount, stuck it under the lip of the eaves and siliconed it in place. Stays put and is easy to move.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I mount my turrets directly to the soffit by using the type of fastener pictured below. Then you only need to open it enough to get your hand in to hold the wing nut and get it started. Turrets are pretty light weight so this may not work for heavier cameras.
View attachment 60680

View attachment 60682
Hey how’s this approach working out? I too have vinyl soffit and was thinking of using these anchors. I was going to mount closer to the side as you have done and not in the middle to keep it from flexing in the center.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hey how’s this approach working out? I too have vinyl soffit and was thinking of using these anchors. I was going to mount closer to the side as you have done and not in the middle to keep it from flexing in the center.
No issues in 10 years so far

staind204

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been mounting mine to the soffit with good success. I take down the vinyl soffit and install a cut 2 x 4. In some areas I had to screw an addition flatter board to the 2x4 so it would be down a little further and nearly to the vinyl soffit. Once that's in place I put the soffit back up, use the mount sticker and drill a 7/8 hole through the middle to fish the wire through.

Lastly I run a bead of clear caulk around the mount. It's worked great, super sturdy and looks very professional.