N3wb here, need system for Liquor store

liquorstop

n3wb
Reaction score
long story short..... local installer told me 4200.00 19 months ago, building is built and he returns now with a new price of 12,400.00. I CANT AFFORD IT!!! I need help. Ecause my store is supposed to open in 2 wks. Looking for a system to install myself. Was going to order a GW Security "box system" until I stumbled upon this forum and decided that would be a bad idea. Installer told me I need ; 16 4mp varifocul cameras inside, 8 4mp varifocal cameras outside, 2 text inserters for cash registers, a 8tb NVR POE . This is all fine but without buying a " box system" I have no clue what will communicate with each other, without understanding programming and code. If anyone can lead me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you from Arkansas!!

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
These are really popular right now Dahua HDW-5231R-Z. They are a 2MP starlight varifocal turret, but also comes in bullet and dome variants, though domes aren't recommended. Do yourself a favour and spend some quality time reading through that thread and you will find an abundance of information which should answer any questions you have or point you to the respective thread (try not to get lost!).

Don't get caught up into the 4MP being better than 2MP debate. 4MP doesn't let enough light in and unless you are only interested in capturing daytime video, best to stick with the 2MP starlight range from Dahua.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Arkansas, as stated in the op. ;)
Ohh didn't see he signed it Arkansas.

Whereabouts in Arkansas?

Don't pay the 12+ grand for a system, read up in this forum and set one up yourself. You will be thanking yourself later if you had to fix it without having to call someone in to fix it for you.

Read up on Starlight cameras like the other poster posted recently. it the camera to go with today

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Liquorstop,

Welcome to the forum!

Installer told me I need ; 16 4mp varifocul cameras inside, 8 4mp varifocal cameras outside,
Man, that must be a big liquor store! That's a lot of cameras!

Here are links to some posts that will help you get up the learning curve:
Retail Business needing 36 cameras
Camera suggestions for a Retail Shop environment
IP Cam Audio Recording Legal
Camera system for POS

I found these with the following google search:
retail store, site:ipcamtalk.com

This has google return only matches to this site.

Fastb

liquorstop

n3wb
Reaction score
You will need to ensure compatibility with your POS system
POS/Point of Sale Setup NVR608 - Dahua Wiki
You really dont have much time..start running ethernet cable...start reading, start learning..
Yes, my son and I are already pulling cable to locations the local pointed out. Cable is the easy part!! But I know auto repair, and liquor and this camera language is like trying to read chinese!! I'm reading several hours every night and I think the more I read the more confused I get. Thank everybody for all the help, keep it coming.

liquorstop

n3wb
Reaction score
Ohh didn't see he signed it Arkansas.

Whereabouts in Arkansas?

Don't pay the 12+ grand for a system, read up in this forum and set one up yourself. You will be thanking yourself later if you had to fix it without having to call someone in to fix it for you.

Read up on Starlight cameras like the other poster posted recently. it the camera to go with today
Wynne, AR -- small town about 45 miles south of Jonesboro and 45 miles west of Memphis, TN

liquorstop

n3wb
Reaction score
Liquorstop,

Welcome to the forum!

Man, that must be a big liquor store! That's a lot of cameras!

Here are links to some posts that will help you get up the learning curve:
Retail Business needing 36 cameras
IP Cam Audio Recording Legal
Camera system for POS

I found these with the following google search:
retail store, site:ipcamtalk.com

This has google return only matches to this site.

Fastb
Sounded like a lot to me as well. Store is 5000 sq ft. 50 x 100. I guess it's better to have too many cameras as not enough. Due to time restraints I may open with 5 or 6 key cameras and add a camera each Sunday until I get them all ran. Not a good plan, but may not have a choice.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I may open with 5 or 6 key cameras and add a camera each Sunday until I get them all ran. Not a good plan, but may not have a choice.
Some coverage is better than none. As you said focus on key areas and get them done. No use busting yourself all at once, chip away at it slowly.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your goal is to know who did it, not just what happened, so plan accordingly.
Don't mount cameras any higher than 8ft for reliable face IDing.
Stick with the same brand cameras and NVR's. Makes life a lot simpler.
You want to watch employees as well as the customers.
Ask specific questions, and someone here will help.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
16 4mp varifocul cameras inside, 8 4mp varifocal cameras outside, 2 text inserters for cash registers, a 8tb NVR POE .
Be happy you didn't do the project for $4,200 from that guy - if he quoted you $4,200 for all the above he would have been using total JUNK.

I'll ball park this project for you @ cost level based on the above information.

NVR: 32 channel w/16 port POE ($500)
Hard Drives: 4TB WD Purple x2 ($300 total)
24 Port Switch with POE (For additional cameras and registers): $250
4MP Varifocals: Indoor Domes 16 x $229 Each ($3,664)
4mp Varifocals: Outdoor Bullets 8 x $299 ($2,392)
Security Cabinet for All hardware and wiring to terminate into: $100
Cable 2 Boxes solid core Cat 6: $125
Randomness (cable ties, connectors, additional mounts, blah blah blah) $200

So based on what you said above cost on this project for HIK hardware with 3 year warranty and next day replacement in US would be $7,531 (without POS Overlay hardware) plus shipping, so the $12k makes sense for this hardware spec out.

Now, I don't know your floor layout, parking lot layout etc but that is a LOT of cameras, also you can normally save money and skip Varifocal if you know what you are doing as you can order cameras with proper lenses for each camera location placement. While varifocal gives you the ability to dial in each camera for its coverage, you can do the same if you know what you are doing by specifically ordering a 4mm for one location and 6mm for another in the end spending the same amount for 2 cameras as you would for 1 varifocal.

I am always supportive of small businesses not doing work for free, and a lot of times people come here wanting professional for DIY pricing (NOT saying thats what you are doing). But it makes me even more mad when it sounds like you had an ASS HAT that doesn't understand what he's doing quote your project.

I'm in Memphis in a few weeks visiting a customer of mine, wish it was sooner as I would be glad to drop in and make recomendations.

What POS solution are you using?

Last edited:

liquorstop

n3wb
Reaction score
Be happy you didn't do the project for $4,200 from that guy - if he quoted you $4,200 for all the above he would have been using total JUNK.

I'll ball park this project for you @ cost level based on the above information.

NVR: 32 channel w/16 port POE ($500)
Hard Drives: 4TB WD Purple x2 ($300 total)
24 Port Switch with POE (For additional cameras and registers): $250
4MP Varifocals: Indoor Domes 16 x $229 Each ($3,664)
4mp Varifocals: Outdoor Bullets 8 x $299 ($2,392)
Security Cabinet for All hardware and wiring to terminate into: $100
Cable 2 Boxes solid core Cat 6: $125
Randomness (cable ties, connectors, additional mounts, blah blah blah) $200

So based on what you said above cost on this project for HIK hardware with 3 year warranty and next day replacement in US would be $7,531 (without POS Overlay hardware) plus shipping, so the $12k makes sense for this hardware spec out.

Now, I don't know your floor layout, parking lot layout etc but that is a LOT of cameras, also you can normally save money and skip Varifocal if you know what you are doing as you can order cameras with proper lenses for each camera location placement. While varifocal gives you the ability to dial in each camera for its coverage, you can do the same if you know what you are doing by specifically ordering a 4mm for one location and 6mm for another in the end spending the same amount for 2 cameras as you would for 1 varifocal.

I am always supportive of small businesses not doing work for free, and a lot of times people come here wanting professional for DIY pricing (NOT saying thats what you are doing). But it makes me even more mad when it sounds like you had an ASS HAT that doesn't understand what he's doing quote your project.

I'm in Memphis in a few weeks visiting a customer of mine, wish it was sooner as I would be glad to drop in and make recomendations.

What POS solution are you using?
Zero- degrees Thank you!!! I am not asking for something for nothing. I have been in business myself for 15 yrs., and now starting something new because my current business is starting to decline. I may have 5 or 6 more yrs. in my current business of auto repair and then it will all be dealer only. NO!!! I understand that we are all out here to make a living. But to install a 3,500.00 system in one day and charge 12,000.00 that is a little much. I think that is living above your means, we all need to make a living but you don't need to wipe your butt with 100 dollar bills.

liquorstop

n3wb
Reaction score
Zero- degrees Thank you!!! I am not asking for something for nothing. I have been in business myself for 15 yrs., and now starting something new because my current business is starting to decline. I may have 5 or 6 more yrs. in my current business of auto repair and then it will all be dealer only. NO!!! I understand that we are all out here to make a living. But to install a 3,500.00 system in one day and charge 12,000.00 that is a little much. I think that is living above your means, we all need to make a living but you don't need to wipe your butt with 100 dollar bills.
I had a vendor tell me today that he can cover all my space with 16 cameras, text inserters, and all labor for about 7,000.00. That sounds fair to me, and when he gives me the actual estimate tomorrow I'm sure he will get the job. He asked if I'd be willing to help him pull cable so he doesn't have to pay a helper, YOU BET, I'm more than willing to pay the honest man for a days work, but 6000.00 dollars a day labor, come on now!!!!! I think maybe I'm in the wrong business!!!