Nanostation M5 with Hikvision Cameras

netbot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I’ve done a lot of reading online on the ubnt website and other websites as well and I can’t seem to find the answer that I’m looking for so I’m really hoping you guys can help me out!

My question is how many Nanostation's would I need to link up 3 cameras, from about 120 feet away from the NVR and Router. There will be no cables running from any of the cameras on top of the light poles (see picture). Would I need one Nanostation m5 for each of the 3 cameras? And then another Nanostation at the main building where the NVR is located? I’ve sent a picture for reference also the 3 cameras are about 120-200 feet away from the man building where the NVR and router are located, I'm not looking to buy new equipment if I don't have to, I already have 2 Nanostation M5's and a Rocket M5 if that helps, I need to use the Nanostations and the boss will be willing to buy more if needed.

Please share your thoughts on this and what other parts I would need, also I know the PoE adapter will not power both the unit and the camera itself, What would I need to power on both? I think that would be a PoE injector or what could I use? Thanks!

Camera_Map.jpg

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi
How will you power the cams at light poles ? Where does your power come from ?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi
How will you power the cams at light poles ? Where does your power come from ?
This was what I was just about to ask.

I’d just have an electrician come out, dig a trench, and bury you some conduit in the ground and run Cat5e to each pole all the way back to the building.

By the time you buy all the wireless gear to do this, you will probably have spent more than just having conduit laid with network cable. Also, I’m not 100% up in Ubquity’s gear but wouldn’t you need three radios back at the building? You are talking about three cameras all with their each radio and those three radios are all pointing back to the building, right? Then you would need three radios (each on a different freq) back at the building to receive them on? I could be wrong about this as I’ve never done an installation like this.

I guess the other option is just PtP links between the poles and the last pole then has a single PtP link back to the building that carries all three cams on that link.

Sounds complicated for three cams.

Edit: Looks like Ubiquity has some pretty cool options to PtMP link I wasn’t aware of: airMAX - Which product should I use?

Would be a fun project: Single base station at the building and one customer premise radio at each pole pointing back to the building. I have a couple Nanobeams in service now for a PtP link I’m running but nothing like what you want to do with multiple radios pointing to one location.

Last edited:

roaoro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For your Ubiquiti radio question, 3 nanostations in STA mode (one @ each camera), and 1 nanostation in AP mode @ the building. This will bridge everything together, assuming you have everything configured right and have power figured out. FYI, if you power the cameras separately (not POE), you can plug the camera lan to the second port on nanostation, again, assuming everything is configured correctly.