nayr's home automation build out...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, but its merely a mobile connection.. and pretty f'n slow at that since I am in a deadspot.. so its not much of a fallover, just an emergency backup.. and the only box here tha'll automatically failover to it is my dispatch server (home automation/security), mainly so it can email me my internet is down heh.

my primary connection is on business class with 13 static IP's

here in America all the ISP's have a government subsidized monopoly, so even getting a 2nd connection to fallover to is not likely for residential areas.. unless your in one of the areas serviced by fiber (Google and Verizon), Denver is hardly on that list.. we have it supposedly, dont know anyone who actually has it tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yeah, but its merely a mobile connection.. and pretty f'n slow at that since I am in a deadspot.. so its not much of a fallover, just an emergency backup.. and the only box here tha'll automatically failover to it is my dispatch server (home automation/security), mainly so it can email me my internet is down heh.

my primary connection is on business class with 13 static IP's

here in America all the ISP's have a government subsidized monopoly, so even getting a 2nd connection to fallover to is not likely for residential areas.. unless your in one of the areas serviced by fiber (Google and Verizon), Denver is hardly on that list.. we have it supposedly, dont know anyone who actually has it tho.
Mobile failover is what I am considering.

Net Speed.jpg

Im on a home cable plan with a semi static IP. It changes every six to 12 months or so. Download speeds are pretty good but as you can see upload speeds are throttled. It's fairly reliable. Most of the issues I have with connectivity seem to be caused bright sparks with an excavator installing unexpected air gaps in the network. A recent effort took out the power and the internet to eight or nine different suburbs but the mobile was still up. The cameras were still running on UPS but I couldn't access them remotely.

Net Speed 4G.jpg

As you can see mobile internet failover is actually a realistic option. The local 4G networks are excellent. My covereage isn't the best where I am but you can see the speeds are respectable and actually surpass my cable connection for upload. The biggest issues are lack of even a semi static IP, and cost, but my provider does a data share connection which lets you share mobile data across devices from the one pool which brings it down to as little as $5 per month per device extra.

It's on the project list as there is an investment in hardware to be made and I am yet to work out which way I want to go with that. A DD-WRT capable router seems like the cheapest option but I want to make my equipment purchases with a view to them all eventually being in a rack in a smart house with fibre internet. The ubiquity edge and unifi gear seems popular and reasonably priced.

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Our company has many who use the cradle points as backup... A few locations are only on cradle point and I cringe when I have to connect to them. They work and are better than nothing, just not by much.

My glorious plans to install Domticz on my ClearOS server hit a snag. I cannot Make the install. My linux skillz are lacking so it took me some time to convert the Debian install to the CentOS install, but I must still have something not setup. I have a Rasp Pi 1 and Rasp Pi 2 laying around so I may just go that direction instead. I am considering changing my cameras and security devices over to a separate Vlan and just install a second Nic on the BI server to insulate the network. I have a few extra routers laying around so I just want to get another switch like this one. It was an excellent value.
My system is non-centralized. I node out the locations, I do not run a domain anymore so it just made more sense for me. I have 5 nodes setup... now a 6th since I have added cameras through my attic.
I run my Plex server that also stores all my movies, music, books and software. Nayr, I do think I prefer your method of archival backups though. I currently run a mirror as I grew tired of rebuilding RAID5 arrays. The disks just got to big to rebuild.

I was wanting to run Domoticz through the ClearOS server mainly to keep it simpler. My ClearOS server used to be my Asterisk server, but we found home phones to be useless for our needs. I replaced it with an Obihai device and it has been solid... just have a spare VOIP converter now.

I have read through your amazing post. I think I will start integrating Zwave equipment. I just have to decide which motion sensors to use. I wanted to thank you for all of your hard work.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
adventure trailer got a 50W solar panel, as long as I can get ~5h of direct sunlight a day I can keep my ARB fridge running indefinitely.. trailer has enough battery reserve for 4 days without sun and runs entirely independently from the car, though I can use the diesel as a generator to charge the trailer batteries if push comes to shove.

40MPG with ~1200lbs in tow @ 70mph, used the goodwill $$$$ from the TDI cheating scandal to chiptune it.. used to get 36mpg pre-scandal ;)

Attachments

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
adventure trailer got a 50W solar panel, as long as I can get ~5h of direct sunlight a day I can keep my ARB fridge running indefinitely.. trailer has enough battery reserve for 4 days without sun and runs entirely independently from the car, though I can use the diesel as a generator to charge the trailer batteries if push comes to shove.

40MPG with ~1200lbs in tow @ 70mph, used the goodwill $$$$ from the TDI cheating scandal to chiptune it.. used to get 36mpg pre-scandal ;)
I used 2 6V true deep cycle battery in backyard to run the cameras

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an old Dieheard Platinum AGM, it's a re-branded odyssey deep cycle marine.. I had an extra and one day I put it into a milk crate in the garage to hook it up to the battery tender, saw how well it fit and a lightbulb went off.. then I went and grabbed an unused blusea fuse box and the rest is history.. its using a Genasun GV10 10A MPPT charger so it can handle a few more panels if needed.. the ARB Fridge has a low voltage cutoff so deep discharging it is very unlikely.

not pictured but installed later was a couple of 2A USB ports, and I have alot of extra cable/distribution blocks and a few more USB Chargers.. the solar generator is mainly for the fridge but also powers/charges our phones/tablets/dewalt batteries/handheld radios/usb light bulbs/boombox/propane tent furnace/air compressor/box fan/etc..

next up for the trailer is a cheap Chinese 25W VHF/UHF radio for base station use.. but I dont have a ground-plane so its going to be tricky.. thinking of welding a pole up with some ground radials to the tongue.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
next up for the trailer is a cheap Chinese 25W VHF/UHF radio for base station use.. but I dont have a ground-plane so its going to be tricky.. thinking of welding a pole up with some ground radials to the tongue.
Why not use the trailer as the ground plane? Lots of vehicle mounted setups use the vehicle as the ground plane.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
top is ABS, guess I could bond the luggage bars to the frame.. but i think its only getting ground through the hitch, havent seen any ground straps on the trailer wiring but I can add one I guess.

I am planing on some modifications to the trailer with some additional structural support on the tongue to stiffen it up a bit and I am thinking I could fit 6x18aH 12v deep discharge batteries in a series into a thin plywood and steel battery box under the floor board infront of the axle and not sit lower than the axle its self.. then yank the battery out of my crate and use it for storing wiring and distribution.. would be alot easier to carry about, the trailer top comes off and its my utility trailer.. Ive had it everywhere from the city dump to the top of a volcano.. so I need to keep the bed empty of permanent installations.

anyhow back to the radio, perhaps I can put a piece of aluminum at the top of the hump on the inside and mount a through roof antenna there.. thats what I been imagining, was going to run an APRS beacon out of it when on the road and then a APRS/GMRS base when at camp.. then something separate for the car,bus,jeep,ohv.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you considered sourcing a military surplus fibreglass VHF whip and antenna mounting unit? You could weld/bolt it onto the trailer in any convenient location. There will already be an earth back to the vehicle in your trailer connection otherwise your lights wouldn't work. (Negative Earth connection in the DC System.)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its got led lights and they are all wired up, i think it gets ground through the harness... im not sure the trailer is bonded anywhere to ground, and at camp its not hooked up to the car so my batteries need to ground the chassis.. if I do my own ground plane I can forget about the trailer and just ground it with the radio.

I guess I could get a mirror mount and put a big whip on the side bars attached to the frame... had not thought about that, it'd be easiest and cheapest.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so the radio solution came to me in my sleep, I'll get a pair of 6inch long 2x3 square carbon tube.. on the front drivers side corner I'll pin them together horizontally.. with one on the inside and one on the outside finished with black paint and plastic end caps.. this will give me a 6in square horizontal ground plane, a sturdy mounting point to put a nmo mount outside, a channel to both hide and protect wiring, and a mounting surfaces inside/out for the radio and an external speaker/microphone.. I want the radio to be usable while the trailer is secure and locked up, incase we are out backpacking we can try to call the trailhead/basecamp in an emergency.

from the outside of the trailer I am imaging a little black metal box on the leading edge with a 48" whip coming out of the center, a rugged speaker hanging off the bottom side, and a waterproof rj45 port with a microphone plugged into it and hanging off a hanger.. then putting all the radio gear in an ammo can on the inside.. when traveling/hiking/adventuring it'll be in APRS tracker/digipeater mode with a Bluetooth TNC, and when at base camp it'll be in GMRS mode and be the base station to talk to eachother while fishing/rafting/shooting or gathering wood.. since cellular service is basically non existant where I play.. the car is getting its own radio, though with a much smaller window mount antenna that I'll use for voice/repeater access while on the road or away from base camp.

Attachments

thesleepy_slee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayr I had a deeper look at how to leverage cameras as motion sensors. My hikvision have PIR, from which I can get status thru http get request. How would you recommend to proceed further?

One way could be to continuously poll thru http get request.
Or I can also try to have a look at http stream and parse it real time
Last option is to hook-up esp8266 to alarm output

Thanks for your advice.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@nayr I had a deeper look at how to leverage cameras as motion sensors. My hikvision have PIR, from which I can get status thru http get request. How would you recommend to proceed further?

One way could be to continuously poll thru http get request.
Or I can also try to have a look at http stream and parse it real time
Last option is to hook-up esp8266 to alarm output

Thanks for your advice.
I'll assume indoor cams, iirc only ones with pir...
The most viable to me would be to use the alarm out. If you can power locally instead of via PoE, you could use unused pairs in your cat5e for the alarm i/o.
Email alerts to a heavily scripted locally hosted email server would work better than polling.

Ultimately, I'm afraid you'd probably get better results using dedicated hardwired or wireless motion detectors.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So that old battery I been using finally shit on me after the 4th; on my previous trip out it came home after a weekend w/out a solar panel with ~50% charge.. and this last trip it barely went a day before it hit 50% charge even with the panel helping it out.. luckily I had AC power and left the battery on the charger all weekend, I had suspected this was coming as the battery was ~5-6 years old and its performance had been noticeably degrading recently.. before the 4th the recharge on my battery charger was more than the capacity of the battery, and when I took it off the charger its standing voltage was very low (12.4v, used to be 12.8v)

now it has a 100aH Deep Cycle SLA battery (30A max load), and a lid that I made from the bottom of another milk crate.. new battery is quite a bit bigger, and heavier, and should give me as much capacity as I plan to ever need.. and now with a solar panel hooked up constantly, it wont get left undercharged in the trailer after camping because I forget or get too busy. I believe the old battery was ~70aH, giving me only 35aH of safe capacity.. now I have 50aH of safe capacity.. this new battery should be see a much less hostile life than the previous one.

oh and I got the antenna mounted to the trailer, just have not taken any pix because its parked up next to the house.

something along these lines would be rugged and durable enough for an off the grid surveillance system, my Dahua NVR runs off 12VDC.. and so do cameras and many switches, I bet there is enough room left inside I could get em to fit.

Attachments

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you thinking something SSD based? Id worry about the longevity of a standard drive mounted in a trailer. Live axle leaf spring is not exactly known for it's smoothness of ride.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
oh I wasent saying I was putting a NVR in the trailer, that'd be just silly :p

for people who want off the grid surveillance, this little generator would be easy to build and toss out in the bush somewhere..