Need Advice: 2.8mm or 3.6mm at front door?

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I plan to install a Dahua IPC-HDBW4431F-AS mini-wedge dome at my front door. I prefer this camera's small profile and I will be using its face detection as the IVS event to trigger when a person is at the door.

The camera will be 5.5 to 6 ft AFF. The front door's porch area is a short corridor, so I suspect a 3.6mm lens would be best. But 2.8mm are MUCH easier to find, so hoping that it is an acceptable choice in my situation.

See the attached photo that shows the installation location. What do you think, 2.8mm or 3.6mm lens for this area?

- Thomas

Attachments

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It may not be important, but check the camera specification to see if the close focus distance will fit your needs.

As an example:
2.8mm: 3.1m (10.2 ft)
3.6mm: 5.4m (17.7 ft)

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I plan to install a Dahua IPC-HDBW4431F-AS mini-wedge dome at my front door. I prefer this camera's small profile and I will be using its face detection as the IVS event to trigger when a person is at the door.

The camera will be 5.5 to 6 ft AFF. The front door's porch area is a short corridor, so I suspect a 3.6mm lens would be best. But 2.8mm are MUCH easier to find, so hoping that it is an acceptable choice in my situation.

See the attached photo that shows the installation location. What do you think, 2.8mm or 3.6mm lens for this area?

- Thomas
Hi @ThomasCamFan

1) 2.8mm mini-wedge dome at face level .. pointed in a way to maximize getting a solid straight on facial ID image capture ..

I prefer to use 3.6mm cameras or varifocal for other cases where the subject will be further away from the camera.

2) As this will typically not be able to see the foot of the door also for packages, I also like to have a camera higher to cover the package drop area. ( typically I like a 3.6mm here .. perhaps 8 feet up and to the side a bit .. depends on your front door lay out. ( double dome camera can be useful for this also instead if you want to put it at face level .. lol .. )

3) I also want at least one more opportunity to get a facial ID as they come to the front door .. this is often by the garage doors for homes with attached garages ..

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1) 2.8mm mini-wedge dome at face level .. pointed in a way to maximize getting a solid straight on facial ID image capture ..
Thanks for the advice. Great to hear that 2.8mm is a good choice. That's what I will use.

2) As this will typically not be able to see the foot of the door also for packages, I also like to have a camera higher to cover the package drop area.
Seeing packages at the door threshold is not critical for me, but I can add it. Perhaps a ceiling camera or a turret on a side wall looking at the door.

3) I also want at least one more opportunity to get a facial ID as they come to the front door .. this is often by the garage doors for homes with attached garages
I have a IPC-T2431T-AS for the front walkway and a IPC-T5442T-ZE for the nearby driveway. Should be adequate for aiding observation and identification on whomever arrives at the front door.

- Thomas

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

- Thomas
That model is fairly old at this point, and has a small sensor, thus night time will not be good.

Using a 2.8mm lens, and corridor mode in the cam, will get you good entryway coverage
More current versions:
Review-IPC-E3241F-AS-M Loryta (dahua) 2mp 2.8mm mini dome. | IP Cam Talk

Review- 5MP IR Fixed focal Dome Lite Network Camera | IP Cam Talk

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@looney2ns, thanks for the links and camera recommendations.

Face detection is important to me, which is missing on those cameras. Front door visitor photos get emailed to me and I like seeing the head shots.

I ordered the camera this morning. Instead of the IPC-HDBW4431F-AS I bought a N44BN52, which appears to be the same camera for the USA market. It was under $70 shipped, so worth trying out.

BTW, my current home is using a 43AN52 at the front door. It's very similar to the N44BN52 that I've ordered for my new home under construction. The 43AN52 works fine at night because of a nearby light fixture. The new home will have a lot of porch lighting too. Fingers are crossed I am happy with the camera.

- Thomas