Need help chosing cameras please

kris77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reading this form for about a year or so now. I have an old $300 8 channel Swann system from Costco. I need to upgrade it. The DVR finally died during a firmware update. I need to upgrade the system. I'm thinking IP cams this time instead of the old BNC bullet cameras again. Technically I could just upgrade the DVR and keep my old 480p cameras but I think it's time to actually get a nice system.

I think I've settled on the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z. But of course Andy said they no longer make them and the replacement is the ZE model. Which is fine I guess.

Here is the thing, I'm looking for 6 cameras. 5 to start with with a 6th added in a few months. With the NVR and 6 of the ZE models i'm pushing over $1200. I'd like to stay in the $700-$750 range if possible. $800 would be Max budget. I am going to get at least one of the ZE models for my driveway, but the other 4-5 cameras can be lower models. What do you guys recommend as substitutes for that camera? Maybe the 4231EM-AS?

I would actually really like one or two of the 5231 and maybe 2 of the 4231 and then maybe the last 1-2 be cheaper ~$99 cameras for 2 that will basically be pointing at a small bridge to see if the creek is up and at my pool deck.

Do you guys have any recommendations for this setup? Oh yeah, the NVR andy recommended was the 4208-8p-4KS2 NVR. I'm guessing that is the DVR I should go with.

Thanks for any and all help. I really appreciate it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reading this form for about a year or so now. I have an old $300 8 channel Swann system from Costco. I need to upgrade it. The DVR finally died during a firmware update. ..
I would actually really like one or two of the 5231 and maybe 2 of the 4231 and then maybe the last 1-2 be cheaper ~$99 cameras for 2 that will basically be pointing at a small bridge to see if the creek is up and at my pool deck...
Thanks for any and all help. I really appreciate it.
Welcome Kris77,

Definitely like the Dahua OEM starlights.

Do take a look also at some of the recent models @looney2ns has been reviewing.

kris77

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that link. I do notice that camera is a tad more expensive than the 4231 model. Main difference between the 5231 and the 2231 is the lack of microphone and face detection?

I'm thinking a 5231 for my main driveway camera. It needs to be the best quality and most features. Maybe 2 of the 2231 to cover front and back door. These will mounted pretty close to the doors to catch faces. And 2 - 4231 cameras to cover the pool and bridge? These don't really need to be that great of cameras. The bridge camera will just be to monitor creek levels from ~50-60 ft away and the one for the pool would be to just monitor the pool gate. More for my own personal viewing rather than security purposes. The 4208 8p NVR is the NVR i decided on per Andy's recommendation as well.

This sound like a setup that would fit my needs to you guys?

kris77

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually Andy might have talked me into the Lite 4108 NVR. It's $100 cheaper and will pretty much do what I need. Hope it is all I need anyway.

But the more I read, it seems like a non POE NVR and a seperate POE switch is the way most recommend to go? Maybe I'll check out the 4208 non POE NVR and a cheaper 8 port POE switch. So many options to decide upon.

I think I have my camera options ready, now just need to focus on the NVR. I'm not quite sure how a 8channel NVR and an 8channel POE switch works together. Each camera will need to plug into the switch, then the switch into one channel of the NVR?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Actually Andy might have talked me into the Lite 4108 NVR. It's $100 cheaper and will pretty much do what I need. Hope it is all I need anyway.

But the more I read, it seems like a non POE NVR and a seperate POE switch is the way most recommend to go? Maybe I'll check out the 4208 non POE NVR and a cheaper 8 port POE switch. So many options to decide upon.

I think I have my camera options ready, now just need to focus on the NVR. I'm not quite sure how a 8channel NVR and an 8channel POE switch works together. Each camera will need to plug into the switch, then the switch into one channel of the NVR?
A non-poe NVR and switch combo gives you much more flexibility in running cables and placement of the nvr.
For example, you could place the POE switch in your garage, and run all the cables to the switch, then you only need one cable to be ran to the NVR. Remember, most NVR have a fan or two, and in general they are not silent, but a non-poe version will be quieter and a poe model.
If you haven't yet, read the cliff notes in the wiki at the top of the page.

kris77

n3wb
Reaction score
When chosing the 4231, I have to chose a focal length right? I'm thinking 2.8mm will be too wide. These will probably be going above the front and back door. Maybe 5ft from the door. 3.6mm is the middle of the range. I'm thinking 6mm might be too narrow. Do you think 3.6mm is a good compromise for above a door?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When chosing the 4231, I have to chose a focal length right? I'm thinking 2.8mm will be too wide. These will probably be going above the front and back door. Maybe 5ft from the door. 3.6mm is the middle of the range. I'm thinking 6mm might be too narrow. Do you think 3.6mm is a good compromise for above a door?
Hi Kris,

I would only use the 2.8mm lens for places where the subject will be basically right in front of the camera ( like by your front door ).

Here's the ID distance ( to the 100 ppf point ) I calculated for the various options:

Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS starlight fixed lens 1080p 1920x1080
w/2.8mm lens FOV H 110 degrees: 10 feet { area covered 95.94 sq feet covered }
w/3.6mm lens FOV H 87 degrees: 12.65 feet { 121.43 sq feet covered }
w/6mm lens FOV H 51 degrees: 21.58 feet { 207.16 sq feet covered }

kris77

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks alot. Going with the 3.6mm.

One last question for you guys. I'm debating on the 4108-8p NVR or the 4208-8p NVR. I'm not real sure of the differences except $100. The 4108 looks like a Netgear router and the 4208 looks like a regular DVR. What are the extra features of the 4208 that I might want?

kris77

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks,

Comparing this one...

NVR4108-8P-4KS2
to
NVR4208-8P-4KS2

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 2 of the 4208-8P's for the HOA running just (3) 2MP cameras on each. I have two 4TB drives in each and get about 30 days recording running high bitrates (8192) and FPS (30). Id get the 4208, you'll eventually want more HD space..

They're ok, but if I had it to do over I'd get the 52xx series with beefier processor, but they work fine.

kris77

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up buying the 4208 with 1-5231, 2-4231 at 3.6mm and 2- 2231. Thanks for all the help.

Ordered from Andy last Wednesday and it looks like he actually forgot to ship them to me last week like he said. They just shipped out today for some reason. Kind of disappointing. I'm going out of town next week and was hoping to get everything set up before then.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I ended up buying the 4208 with 1-5231, 2-4231 at 3.6mm and 2- 2231. Thanks for all the help.

Ordered from Andy last Wednesday and it looks like he actually forgot to ship them to me last week like he said. They just shipped out today for some reason. Kind of disappointing. I'm going out of town next week and was hoping to get everything set up before then.
He was out of stock on the 2231 cams, that is the only reason Andy doesn't ship ASAP, because you can't ship it if you don't have it :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Andy does the best he can, Dahua can't make them fast enough sometimes.

kris77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, is there a tutorial somewhere that tells me how to setup my new NVR with DDNS so I can use the app to view?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, is there a tutorial somewhere that tells me how to setup my new NVR with DDNS so I can use the app to view?
Hi Kris77,

DO NOT port forward!

DO NOT port forward!

DO NOT port forward!

PLEASE

Use a VPN - see the VPN section and security notes in the wiki

kris77

n3wb
Reaction score
So i've never used a VPN for cameras before. How does that work with an app like ipcamviewer or the dahua gDMSS app? Will it still be able to connect easily?

EDIT:

I have an Asus ac66u router. It has the option in it for VPN server/client. Are there certain settings I need enabled for the cameras to work via VPN? I've never done this before and am not fully understanding what actually is going to happen once I set it up.

Last edited: