Need Help Selecting a NVR

Frazier

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using PC based security video recording systems for several years. Currently using Blue Iris and I'm pretty happy with the application. Like many of you who have migrated from a PC based system to an NVR, my motivation is to remove the requirement to leave a dedicated PC running 24/7. I am currently running Blue Iris on a virtual server within a larger server, but the performance impact on the server is significant. I have 5 IP cameras recording all the time and often I lose frames when the system detects motion; presumably because of the temporary peak in CPU usage as a mail message is sent.

I have looked at numerous NVRs and I cannot find any of them that will support a wide variety of IP cameras. Over the years I have bought many different brands and I have everything from a high-end Sony PTZ to a lowly Foscam PT. What I like about Blue Iris is that they have a very large library of preconfigured cameras and you can add just about any camera if you have the patience to find the right settings.

Can anyone provide guidance on which NVR have the most flexible acceptance of IP cameras? Ideally, it would have both preconfigured cameras and the ability to add one on an adhoc basis. I know that there is a standard called ONVIF that seems to be prevalent. I'm pretty sure that some of my older cameras won't be compliant. Is this truly a 'standard' that has legs? I don't really want to have to replace all my cameras, but if that is required to use the best NVRs, I guess I might have to do that.

Any guidance on both the "best, most flexible" NVR and the importance (or lack of same) of being ONVIF compliant would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You can check out the ONVIF credentials of the cameras on your LAN by using the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
Despite their varying level of ONVIF support (none are properly certified to any ONVIF specification), I have managed to connect a variety of older low-cost cameras to a Hikvision 7816N-E2 NVR using its ONVIF model choice, various cameras from brands such as Amovision, IPCC (IP Cloud Camera), Vanxse, Dericam, Maygion, Cybernova. As well as the Hikvision 2-series, which are officially ONVIF certified.
In addition to ONVIF, there is also the ability to specify RTSP, which has also worked OK with these cameras, and there are also a dozen or so built-in brands listed, though I cannot vouch for how well these work.
But - with any of these 'generic' methods of adding cameras, you will generally not have any event actions such as motion detection recording.
PTZ with a generic connection is likely to provide only basic functionality.

I have no idea which NVR model would be best - but I've been pretty happy with the capabilities of the Hikvision 7816N-E2 NVR.

Frazier

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that input, alastairstevenson... I'm surprised by your comment about motion detection recording (which I want). I thought that the motion detection was determined by a change in the video image rather than by a specific control signal from the camera. Is it your belief that if I add a "non-compliant" generic camera that this feature would be unavailable on the NVR?

Thanks for pointing me to the ONVIF device manager. I'll check all my existing cameras to see how expensive converting to a NVR will be.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
7816NI-E2 if that's an option.

You will get motion on the ONVIF ones if it's a decent one but having it support the camera is a different story. I have some ones that are fine and I have some ones which aren't.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You will be used to BI doing the motion detection itself by analysing video changes, as opposed to the more common method of the motion detection being done within the camera and the NVR being informed of the event.
To inform the NVR of the event there needs to be an agreed protocol to communicate it - under ONVIF there is 'push / pull event notification subscriptions' or some such, but as it was an optional part of the early ONVIF specifications it was not often implemented. Therefore, yes (but not so much 'non-compliant' but 'generic' as opposed to having custom support for a specific model):
Is it your belief that if I add a "non-compliant" generic camera that this feature would be unavailable on the NVR?
And Hikvision have their own 'command and control' protocol, which is publically documented, and carries information about events in the camera such as motion to the NVR.
The generic RTSP connection (Real Time Streaming Protocol) provides no support for events - it's a way of negotiating and initiating a video stream between 2 devices, with cameras just one of a large number of possibilities.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson Do you have a link for the 'command and control' protocol? Id like to send it over to the BI developer to see if he will implement it...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Frazier Before purchasing any NVR confirm that it will perform the functions you need...blue iris is a lot more flexible particularly when it comes to changing scheduling and alerts on the fly...