Need some help

Vargil

n3wb
Reaction score
I know what I am looking to do but don't know how to accomplish it as I don't know much about IP Cams. Here's what I want to do:
  • 2-3 cameras
  • Need good field of view
  • Good night vision is important
  • Will be wall mounted
  • POE is a must
  • Want to be able to access video remotely
  • Really want to keep below $600

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know what I am looking to do but don't know how to accomplish it as I don't know much about IP Cams. Here's what I want to do:
  • 2-3 cameras
  • Need good field of view
  • Good night vision is important
  • Will be wall mounted
  • POE is a must
  • Want to be able to access video remotely
  • Really want to keep below $600
Welcome Vargil,

You want to determine what your needs are and then find a solution to help address those issues

Do take a look at the cliff notes, that will help you get a better idea of what you may want.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Please define "good field of view".

Wide angle that covers a lot of ground but doesn't show much detail? Narrow field of view that captures good detail over a small area?

Vargil

n3wb
Reaction score
Please define "good field of view".

Wide angle that covers a lot of ground but doesn't show much detail? Narrow field of view that captures good detail over a small area?
My back yard is probably only 35 ft deep but its 190 ft wide. I'd like to cover it, but I guess the most important are the windows and door.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My back yard is probably only 35 ft deep but its 190 ft wide. I'd like to cover it, but I guess the most important are the windows and door.
You're probably going to want more cameras than you think. Cameras aimed along the length of the house near windows and doors will get pictures of people looking inside or trying to enter. Don't mount them too high. Other cameras can provide overall views of the yard but with less detail unless you use longer lenses and a bunch of cameras.

You need to test, test, test before installing. Get a camera with a zoom lens so you can determine what focal lengths work best and where. Make a test rig: My test rig: rev.2

Vargil

n3wb
Reaction score
You're probably going to want more cameras than you think. Cameras aimed along the length of the house near windows and doors will get pictures of people looking inside or trying to enter. Don't mount them too high. Other cameras can provide overall views of the yard but with less detail unless you use longer lenses and a bunch of cameras.

You need to test, test, test before installing. Get a camera with a zoom lens so you can determine what focal lengths work best and where. Make a test rig: My test rig: rev.2
That’s more involved than I ever would have imagined. To be honest though as I think about it, are the 2-3 enough to just cover the door and windows? As much as I would like to cover the whole yard, I can’t imagine with the creek and woods I’m gonna capture too much. My primary goal is deterrent and identification if need be.

That being said, what would be your recommendation on that?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That’s more involved than I ever would have imagined.
lol, it usually is if you want an effective system.

If you feel comfortable posting a picture of the back of the house, people can suggest locations. Remember, you can always start out covering entry points and add cameras later for broader coverage. The test rig will quickly reveal what works and what doesn't.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That’s more involved than I ever would have imagined. To be honest though as I think about it, are the 2-3 enough to just cover the door and windows? ..
Hi @Vargil 2-3 cameras will not be enough.

Do review the cliff notes, they are a great resource.

Vargil

n3wb
Reaction score
ADBDD55E-ADCB-4E91-8FFA-505362A2A7EA.jpeg 74B0097F-D957-40DA-A97F-95595135ABB5.jpeg AFCF7A41-D1DF-4D7F-9DFE-D910024A15C6.jpeg
lol, it usually is if you want an effective system.

If you feel comfortable posting a picture of the back of the house, people can suggest locations. Remember, you can always start out covering entry points and add cameras later for broader coverage. The test rig will quickly reveal what works and what doesn't.
Unfortunately I don’t have a pic of the back but perhaps this can help give an idea

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been reading it. Quite a bit of information but good. I guess maybe I missed something in the reading I have done however as to why I couldn’t cover the back with 3 cameras.
Hi Vargil,

Thought you planned to use 2-3 cameras to cover the entire home / property.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh no! Sorry I wasn’t clear. Just the back yard.
Hi Vargil,

Why does only the back yard need cameras? Are you seeing a threat coming from that area?

Vargil

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Vargil,

Why does only the back yard need cameras? Are you seeing a threat coming from that area?
IMO if there would be any issue it would definitely come from the basement level as that’s the only part of the neighborhood that’s not well lit and highly visible.

Vargil

n3wb
Reaction score
So I've had some time to look at the IPVM site and realizing that I actually want a more narrow FOV to get better clarity further away. Thanks for that guide!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO if there would be any issue it would definitely come from the basement level as that’s the only part of the neighborhood that’s not well lit and highly visible.
Hi Vargil,

While doing your setup and planning - do try to get cameras to cover other locations also - you want also to get a good street view - to capture any cars which thieves maybe using.

Plan for 6-8 cameras for a modest home, 8+ cameras for a nicer home like your's

I like to put a camera at eye level by the doors.

Do take a closer look at the cliff notes, and see what others have shared with their installation pictures.