Need to cover Drive, Front door. No equipment yet.

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new here so be gentle.
I have done a lot of reading of posts, and camera comparisons, so now time to ask for advice.
I have a front drive which is a frequent target of car checkers. Our recycling cans are rummaged through by the car checkers as well. I have two tier roofing overhang which blocks views from above in many locations.
I think pictures are worth many words....I am attaching photos showing entire front of house, the drive and the recycling bin on collection days.
My initial thought was two 8MP IPC-HDW5830R-Z to cover front drive, placed in upper left and right several feet above garage doors.
or
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP vs IPC-HDW5231R-Z for better night clarity?

and perhaps a bullet cam placed in far left upper house eve to cover front door?

Any suggestions, comments, thoughts appreciated. I have tough skin, really. Feel free to be blunt or tell me I am way off base...

Currently have an Idle I7 core with decent graphics card, but standard HDD, could add SSD or BIG HDD.
Have Ethernet cable wired throughout house, so tapping in should be easy.
Looking at 4 port PoE switch on AMAZON... https://amzn.to/2GB3whR

Drive.jpg DriveAndTrash.jpeg FrontPano.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
..My initial thought was two 8MP IPC-HDW5830R-Z to cover front drive, placed in upper left and right several feet above garage doors.
or
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP vs IPC-HDW5231R-Z for better night clarity?
Welcome Jim,

Both models are good solid cameras - and imho worth having. A lot depends on your lighting, and certainly the 2MP starlight will provide better low light images.

I like the 8mp for daylight threats and the 2mp starlight for night time threats - thus the 8mp is great imho vs package thieves ( active in the day time ) and the 2mp for door checkers ( who come at night )

If you feel the door checker is the greater threat I would go with 2 starlights on the garage.

BTW did you notice:
Carelessness cost me...I got hit...

After watching that video I would even be tempted to go ocd and get a 3rd camera - maybe the 8mp one ...

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome Jim,

Both models are good solid cameras - and imho worth having. A lot depends on your lighting, and certainly the 2MP starlight will provide better low light images.
I like the 8mp for daylight threats and the 2mp starlight for night time threats - thus the 8mp is great imho vs package thieves ( active in the day time ) and the 2mp for door checkers ( who come at night )
If you feel the door checker is the greater threat I would go with 2 starlights on the garage.

BTW did you notice:
Carelessness cost me...I got hit...

After watching that video I would even be tempted to go ocd and get a 3rd camera - maybe the 8mp one ...
I did watch the "Carelessness cost me" video.
Also, the comparison between the 2MP Starlight and the 8MP IPC-HDW5830R-Z.
Author seemed to think the 8mp cam deteriorated in low light, but only to just slightly less than the starlight 2MP?

Also, I would have to mount on the vertical surface of garage face, and rotate the turrets out, I believe this is possible on all those models.
Is camera theft an issue?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did watch the "Carelessness cost me" video.
Also, the comparison between the 2MP Starlight and the 8MP IPC-HDW5830R-Z.
Author seemed to think the 8mp cam deteriorated in low light, but only to just slightly less than the starlight 2MP?

Also, I would have to mount on the vertical surface of garage face, and rotate the turrets out, I believe this is possible on all those models.
Is camera theft an issue?
there is nothing slight about the difference between starlight 2mp and the 8mp camera in low light...the difference is significant...camera theft is not an issue.

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
there is nothing slight about the difference between starlight 2mp and the 8mp camera in low light...the difference is significant...camera theft is not an issue.
I looked at the comparisons, and I am convinced. Now the choice is between the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and the IPC-HDW5231R-Z. Advice appreciated.
I mocked up both on IPVM Camera Calculator V3 and did not see a lot of difference, and the list price is identical. Not sure what @EMPIRETECANDY can do. Also I think the 8mp version for package thief monitoring might be useful.
So reviewing the specs, I am leaning towards the ZE x 2 for garage pointing cross fields (yellow), and one on eve above pointing towards front door area? That way I could play with the two different cameras. Or I suppose I could get one of each of the three, but wife would not appreciate the aesthetics on front of house of two different styles of camera. Should I move this post out of Intros?

FrontPano3cam.jpg

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Addendum
After more looking, the Z has a slightly less fish eye appearance than the ZE, due to slightly lower field of view.
This makes the whole ZE image, and especially the portions of the image near the peripheries somewhat distorted, and may appear blurry.
I wonder if this is what made people believe their ZE lenses were defective?
IN any case, I have no need to see beyond about 40 to 50 feet in this situation, even the neighbor across the street is likely less than 100 feet.
SO think I should get plain Z.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I looked at the comparisons, and I am convinced. Now the choice is between the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and the IPC-HDW5231R-Z. Advice appreciated.
I mocked up both on IPVM Camera Calculator V3 and did not see a lot of difference, and the list price is identical. Not sure what @EMPIRETECANDY can do. Also I think the 8mp version for package thief monitoring might be useful.
So reviewing the specs, I am leaning towards the ZE x 2 for garage pointing cross fields (yellow), and one on eve above pointing towards front door area? That way I could play with the two different cameras. Or I suppose I could get one of each of the three, but wife would not appreciate the aesthetics on front of house of two different styles of camera. Should I move this post out of Intros?

View attachment 28137
Cam locations are too high.

If you go over 8ft, iding a face becomes very difficult. You want to know who did it, not just what happens.
You need a cam right at the front door, such as the starlight wedge. Mounted at about 5ft.
New arrival 2MP Starlight IR Mini Dome Network camera IPC HDBW4231F AS,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Two cams at least on the front of the garage, like you have them now, but lower. You may need another one in the center.

If you want to put an overview cam at the pink spot, that works, but don't plan on Id'ing anyone from it.
Test all proposed locations for 24hrs with an 8' 2x4, 5gal bucket, sand or rocks.

Be sure to read the cliff notes in the wiki at the top of the page.
Buy an 8 port POE switch, cams tend to reproduce.

Why worry about the recycling bins?
Or clean out the garage and use it. ;)

I mounted mine like this at the garage, roughly 7ft.

20180331_175442.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for reply. Very well thought out suggestions.

Why worry about the recycling bins?
The trash / recycling / Organic waste collection cans were mandated by city. It is believed that the car checkers often forage for aluminum cans in the recycle bins and also check the cars for unlocked entry.
I found wadded up aluminum foil by my driver side door, the rear view mirror displaced, but no entry, (car was locked). Does not mean they did not rob others cars. If I can get a picture, perhaps it helps me or someone on my street.

If you want to put an overview cam at the pink spot, that works, but don't plan on Id'ing anyone from it.
That would be mostly daylight cam for package thiefs. It is perhaps 25 feet to front door? I thought the 8mp cam might Id that far, but you have tested them...

You need a cam right at the front door, such as the starlight wedge. Mounted at about 5ft.
I do like that idea for third cam instead of 8MP high up.
1. it will definitely see thief. 2. it is half the price. 3. allows front door monitoring. 4. is starlight for low light use as well as daylight.
AND it would be 50 foot less cable run to the camera from the PoE Switch

Cam locations are too high.
In the photo, there is a 100 w equivalent LED in that light fixture. I could place a cam between the fixture and the Garage door frame.
If If I put it on the other side, i am suspecting that if the light is on it will flood the camera's sensor.
There is not very much room on the other side to mount a cam... what about 2mp Z just above the top door frame on each side and a starlight wedge in the center?
Then starlight wedge at front door. 4 cams for what I was planning to spend on 3?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think you'd have an issue with the light with the cams FOV like this. That's why varifocal is great.
I wouldn't use the mini wedge on the garage, dome cams have issue's with reflections and getting hazy over time. Use another turret if need be.
The one by your front door would be partially protected from direct sun.

touched up.png

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you again.
My wife suggested the exact positions you marked. The view would be similar to the videos at bottom of dense persons guide.
I was thinking I might be able to move the light to the left a foot, and use the current light's box for the camera.
I am getting ready to order. The silver car (SUV) is the one hit the most. Probably driver side as that is where the mirror bent down and the scavenged aluminum was dropped.
The blue car auto locks when the driver walks away. Perhaps they know this.
I think it is time to move this thread to the install questions section.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 28137
Personally I'd consider putting a door bell camera on the door to cover the 2nd camera I'm about to mention and also catch a face in case a different method of exit is used other than the door through which entry is made, a "proper" camera on the corner by the drain pipe on the garage pointing back towards the door and window as this captures any break in through these and any faces on the way out / also any attack should you be attacked opening the door, then maybe a 3rd camera, and the 2nd "proper" camera 6 feet back over the fence on the side of the house to cover the grass area not covered by the other cameras and to catch anyone coming over the fence up the side of the house or to the narrow window at the side. Although it won't catch the side window being broken into, it will catch the approach if correctly positioned and pointed downwards and here you can get away with mounting it high enough to see over, because anyone coming over the fence is going to be at fence height + 2-3 feet, giving you maybe 9 feet of mounting height to play with. Atm if I were a burglar without this side camera, my approach on seeing the other cameras, should I decide to risk there not being rear / internal cameras, would be over the lawn out of range of the other cameras, over the fence and to break in at the unguarded rear.

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think you'd have an issue with the light with the cams FOV like this. That's why varifocal is great.
See above about moving the light a bit.

Personally I'd consider putting a door bell camera on the door to cover the 2nd camera I'm about to mention
Looney2ns already convinced me to put in a cam at front door at door bell level.

Thank you for adding this in. I think I need to get a starter system up to play with a few cams, and then add as needed once all is working.
Knowing very little would allow me to make too many mistakes in a very short time if I buy cameras inappropriate for the job.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
This would be my take on it (others please feel free to criticise):

Red = "Proper" cameras (left one set back from fence - doesn't look it from my photoshop - sorry!)
Green = Door Bell Camera
Pink = Another "Proper" camera to replace the green doorbell camera, if you can afford this instead of the doorbell camera (TBH not that much diff in price!):

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The wedge cam, on the garage wall near the front door, would cover a lot more than you think.
The left camera @CCTVCam shows on the garage would suffer from the light shining on it.
And 'true" door bell cams aren't ready for prime time.

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The wedge cam, on the garage wall near the front door, would cover a lot more than you think.
The left camera @CCTVCam shows on the garage would suffer from the light shining on it.
I can put the wedge camera on the garage wall where CCTV marked PINK or on the casing above the door bell button where CCTV marked green.
It will fit in either place. I started a continuation for this thread in "Camera Installation Questions"
Gathering pieces for install

Is there a short code way to link to other threads/posts?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, my placement of the garage arrow was off, rush job, had to get to work.

Was just trying to reproduce the earlier diagram with the added benefit of either a door bell cam to capture a face at the door (or another proper cam aside the door), and a camera up the side of the property which was looking a little unprotected from an attack across the far side of the lawn and over the fence.

I take your point on the door bell cam.