Need to replace an outdoor hikvision dome camera

JBoDEAN

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 dome hikvision cameras outside my house (Hikvision NC324-TD cameras Serial# NC324-TD20180412AAWR204390718). TWO of them are suffering from the IR issue (where at night, i can't see anything with the camera, very blurry).
I am looking at replacing these 2 problematic cameras with a non-dome camera so I don't have this issue. Looking for suggestions. Would like to stay with Hikvision (OEM) as my NVR is setup for the hikvision ecosystem, and want an easy swap out / swap in camera.

Was looking at the Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-I camera. it comes in 8MP, but I think that is MORE that what I need. Would a 4MP suffice for a house outdoor security camera?

Appreciate your insight.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Was looking at the Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-I camera
That's an excellent 4K ultra-low-light turret camera.
You will be very impressed with it's all-round capability, especially in low illumination conditions.

Would a 4MP suffice for a house outdoor security camera?
That depends on many factors - but mainly what the scene consists of, and what you require to achieve in the view.

JBoDEAN

n3wb
Reaction score
That's an excellent 4K ultra-low-light turret camera.
You will be very impressed with it's all-round capability, especially in low illumination conditions.

That depends on many factors - but mainly what the scene consists of, and what you require to achieve in the view.
The scene is 1) Driveway and back yard. What I require to achieve it to see any persons that may be on my driveway or in my backyard (within 50-100 ft of my house).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What I require to achieve it to see any persons that may be on my driveway or in my backyard (within 50-100 ft of my house).
And presumably identify them?
If so, that's a big distance for identification as opposed to an overview.
There are quite a few threads on simulating distance and angle and resolution to give an estimated 'pixels-per-foot' for ID purposes.
A forum search should provide some useful reading and info.

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got a couple of 2385's in my system, along with several 2355's. I've been real pleased with the video quality of both.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are quite a few threads on simulating distance and angle and resolution to give an estimated 'pixels-per-foot' for ID purposes.
IPVM Camera Calculator V3 is a cool online tool for that too, IMO.

Just type in an address, add a camera, set the model, position the camera around your house, then drag the little pointer "guy" around to see the estimated image quality and PPF value.