NEEDED help with Hikvision NVR not recording accordingly

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
agree that looks bad but I too was more thinking to look at the smart info rather than doing a surface scan at this stage. First block flagging as bad isn't a great sign, if very lucky could just be a write that was interrupted on power cycling and corrupted the cluster so might be worth trying to reformat the hdd, the smart info may give more clues tho as in cycle count, re-vectored block counts etc
I have formatted twice. Especially After last night the HDD was error , then formatted it to just get live veiw..

Anyway I will try to get a HDD somewhere and see would that work. That is the easiest way for me..

Thanks pals

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nope just a look at the data in that table. Immediately the raw error rate and seek error raw values stand out - that's HUGE which pretty much says the drive's dud. Also 691 start/stop count on a recent install sounds high, is the drive set to sleep? Or has the NVR been rebooted/power cycled that many times already?

Here's my WD Red stats, installed over 2 years now

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Immediately the raw error rate and seek error raw values stand out - that's HUGE which pretty much says the drive's dud.
Without going and checking the documentation - I have a recollection that these can be 'how long since the last error' so a high value (that number probably says the time at the end of the universe) is better. One of the attributes where the meaning varies with manufacturers.
Though I do see yours has a zero.

@Jon Sam Your screenshot is missing most of the SMART detail - the attribute values.
I don't think you need to run any tests.
Any errors against any performance metric will be recorded in the counts.

When you get the lid off - see what brand and model the drive is.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
true Alistair but IIRC the ones mentioned start at zero on drives I've worked with. My WD red was re-purposed from a file server when I upgraded it to larger drives so has run a few years now and still going well. If the OP can pull the drive and connect it to a PC, something like speedfan would be able to give an assessment of the smart data to confirm via the "perform in-depth online analysis" button under the smart tab, which can then compare the general average stats for the drive type. Perhaps more human friendly than looking at the raw data ;-)

Looking at the OP's stats, shows only 5 days power on time, so does sound like a faulty drive or some other component, which the vendor should swap out. Might be able to get a warranty replacement from manufacturer but why should the end client have to on a new installation...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
true Alistair but IIRC the ones mentioned start at zero on drives I've worked with.
Sure - but we don't know what brand / model is in the NVR. The lid has not been off yet.
That might also be a surprise if the installer has made a bad choice for the use case.
Might be able to get a warranty replacement from manufacturer but why should the end client have to on a new installation...
You're absolutely right - he should not be trying to fix this up himself, the vendor / installer / technician (not quite sure who did what on this installation) is culpable and should sort it. Hopefully there is some payment protection.

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
Without going and checking the documentation - I have a recollection that these can be 'how long since the last error' so a high value (that number probably says the time at the end of the universe) is better. One of the attributes where the meaning varies with manufacturers.
Though I do see yours has a zero.

@Jon Sam Your screenshot is missing most of the SMART detail - the attribute values.
I don't think you need to run any tests.
Any errors against any performance metric will be recorded in the counts.

When you get the lid off - see what brand and model the drive is.
Is Seagate SkyHawk

Attachments

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
true Alistair but IIRC the ones mentioned start at zero on drives I've worked with. My WD red was re-purposed from a file server when I upgraded it to larger drives so has run a few years now and still going well. If the OP can pull the drive and connect it to a PC, something like speedfan would be able to give an assessment of the smart data to confirm via the "perform in-depth online analysis" button under the smart tab, which can then compare the general average stats for the drive type. Perhaps more human friendly than looking at the raw data ;-)

Looking at the OP's stats, shows only 5 days power on time, so does sound like a faulty drive or some other component, which the vendor should swap out. Might be able to get a warranty replacement from manufacturer but why should the end client have to on a new installation...

I wish I could get a replacements, unfortunately for me that I have no response at all from the guy now. I been trying to contact him for days.
No response whatsoever. :-(

the 5 days power on time could be about right. Because the system only installed on the 9-6-18.

17-6-18 the system went down for 2 days (maybe just under 2 days)

If is the HDD is easy enough for me to do alone. But anything else is a new NVR.

I did called Hikvision last Friday when the technician didn't responded to me . the help line won't speak to non Hikvision member.

Last edited:

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
Sure - but we don't know what brand / model is in the NVR. The lid has not been off yet.
That might also be a surprise if the installer has made a bad choice for the use case.

You're absolutely right - he should not be trying to fix this up himself, the vendor / installer / technician (not quite sure who did what on this installation) is culpable and should sort it. Hopefully there is some payment protection.

my NVR DS-7604NI-K1/4P

I already took the lid off once on Sunday because the system went down. Just to see if any obvious fault is visual. ( a lose cable perhaps).

Like I said earlier that the technician won't be responding to me now.

I cannot remember if I mentioned this before is that the live view is prefect. just no recording is being captured.

The first day on installation, it was set on MOTION DETECT don't think it was working but videos files definitely captured. many good 5 full minutes view able video was watched.

Monday morning kids went to school, evening time I checked the files no video of my family exiting the house ,entered the car and drove off. next video was the car was already parked in front of the house. did not capture anyone exiting the car and entering the house.

Then I changed the setting to CONTINUOUSLY recording. Then the files started to be broken and randomly recorded.

but i noticed the recorded files size are getting smaller from MB to KB then on system stopped working on Sunday .

Only the first two days video files are watch able. then files just getting smaller even is on continuously recording.
IN the screen shot even the lager blue file are not watch able. it will slide to away and say end of the file.

Hope you don't mind me attached so many screen shots for you guys to see.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If is the HDD is easy enough for me to do alone.
If you can get another HDD to try - this would be very easy, and would be a good way to confirm the likely cause of the problems.
For test purposes you don't need to remove the original, or even fix in the one to test with, just lie it in place.

The Skyhawk is a perfectly good choice for the HDD - and it has a 3 year warranty.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
listing the rest of the SMART info would be more useful than the playback shots but from what you've said when set to continuous and the recordings being broken up, along with the high start/stop count, sounds like your NVR is rebooting frequently throughout the day. Perhaps because of the HDD or maybe another issue/fault on the NVR board itself.

Is the installer a proper company, or a one man band trader? Are they still trading or done a "gone bust, reopened under a new name" trick?

You really are at the stage where you need them to respond as essentially what they've sold you is not fit for purpose in its current condition. Sure you might fix it yourself by sending the HDD off for warranty replacement (takes a couple weeks), but if the NVR then proves to be the problem or fails later on you're stuck. It's maybe time to get trading standards, citizens advice and any trade bodies involved to lean on them to help you get them to sort or replace and even compensate you for the inconvenience. You might also report them to Hikvision as a rogue partner who will not resolve issues tho that probably won't make any difference...

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
If you can get another HDD to try - this would be very easy, and would be a good way to confirm the likely cause of the problems.
For test purposes you don't need to remove the original, or even fix in the one to test with, just lie it in place.

The Skyhawk is a perfectly good choice for the HDD - and it has a 3 year warranty.
thanks you again.. definitely will try the HDD first then.

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
Must be lucky day yesterday

The technician turned up yesterday and fixed it.

He did the test like @Aengus4h mentioned and said something is wrong with the HDD, but he just reassembled inside the NVR and it just worked .

Thank you guys

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
said something is wrong with the HDD, but he just reassembled inside the NVR and it just worked .
Hmm... let's hope it stays working. I'm sure we'll hear if it doesn't, or does.
If it really is OK now, that could only be because the cables were not properly in place.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
agreed. What do the smart info figures show now? down to zero or still high numbers?

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
makes you wonder what exactly he did then, maybe he'd not connected the SATA cable properly or swapped that out?

I'd keep an eye on those numbers and if they keep increasing (other than start/stop and power cycle but esp the error and CRC rates) then get them back to replace the drive, JMHO. After all he's said something was wrong with the HDD but didn't replace it, maybe hopes it'll last for their warranty and then its your problem to solve. I assume they did offer warranty on their work?

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
makes you wonder what exactly he did then, maybe he'd not connected the SATA cable properly or swapped that out?

I'd keep an eye on those numbers and if they keep increasing (other than start/stop and power cycle but esp the error and CRC rates) then get them back to replace the drive, JMHO. After all he's said something was wrong with the HDD but didn't replace it, maybe hopes it'll last for their warranty and then its your problem to solve. I assume they did offer warranty on their work?

It definitely made me wonder what was wrong. Still worried

@Aengus4h what is the best reading number to those start/stop and power cycle but esp the error and CRC rates which you mentioned ?

Just finger cross.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi Jon

ideally the error/crc numbers should be zero (or whatever high number the manufacturer presets if its a count-down config, not sure in your case but all my seagate and WD and hitachi drives start fro zero). The CRC tends to indicate a comms error on the SATA and that could be just not connected properly/cable issue (power or sata), hence what the guy did would be handy to know. The error stuff says the block wasn't found (seek) or was corrupt when read, again cable fault could have contributed here. The fact that it hasn't revectored and no pending count you may be lucky and it was only a connection issue.

The power cycle reflects the count of the system being turned off/on and start/stop the cycle up/down of the drive - if a drive is "green" or allowed to sleep then this will be higher than the power cycle count, but the downside is often that the drive quickly exceeds limit and starts to flag smart errors or just plain fails to run any more. On yours they are close to same so probably the drive runs all the time, best way for an NVR IMHO else you lose feed while the drive spins up and miss recording bits.