Nest Cams all dropped signal

HHWear

n3wb
Reaction score
I arrived home to BI showing no signal for all my cameras. They are all Nest, and the Nest app shows them all up and well. I checked a few direct links as well, no issue. Rebooted PC, can ping everything fine, and speed is great.

My PC with BI is hard wired into a Linksys Velop mesh node. Speed is 150 megs. I used the Velop interface to confirm speeds between nodes are fine, avg 150 megs between hops. Velop is on latest firmware. The system has run fine for a year. I downloaded a new version around a month ago, as we set up BI on a new PC. Again, no issues until arriving home to a blank screen with no signal errors. All of the outside links for Nest work fine. The Nest app works fine as well.

I have tried adding a camera again, same result. My Velop nodes do auto update for firmware, but that did not happen in the past week.

At this point I don't have a clue.

Any help is appreciated.

Bapski

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
did you recently update your BI?

how are you adding your NEST CAMS? i used to have to copy a specific line from the SOURCE code of the PUBLIC webpage of my NEST CAMS and i would lose signal feeds similar to what you are experiencing whenever i updated BI. my solution was to revert back to the previous BI version.

i had this problem recently and contacted support and i was told i can now directly copy and paste the PUBLIC LINK of my nest cams instead of looking for it on the source code. have you tried this approach?

hope this helps.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I arrived home to BI showing no signal for all my cameras. They are all Nest, and the Nest app shows them all up and well. I checked a few direct links as well, no issue. Rebooted PC, can ping everything fine, and speed is great.

My PC with BI is hard wired into a Linksys Velop mesh node. Speed is 150 megs. I used the Velop interface to confirm speeds between nodes are fine, avg 150 megs between hops. Velop is on latest firmware. The system has run fine for a year. I downloaded a new version around a month ago, as we set up BI on a new PC. Again, no issues until arriving home to a blank screen with no signal errors. All of the outside links for Nest work fine. The Nest app works fine as well.

I have tried adding a camera again, same result. My Velop nodes do auto update for firmware, but that did not happen in the past week.

At this point I don't have a clue.

Any help is appreciated.
HI @HHWear

Nest - iirc any on-prem recording of Nest Cloud cameras requires the video from the Cameras to make a round trip from your home to the cloud back to your home recorder.

Did you check the if the parameters work to download a video feed from Nest on another system? ( can you use something like VLC to test? )
Remember as a cloud service Nest is constantly making updates, so there is a chance something broke on that end.

HHWear

n3wb
Reaction score
Does Blue Iris do auto updates? I have not updated anything myself, although the install is only 4 weeks old. I used to have to do the work around with copying the direct video path from the source, but after a recent update several months ago I noticed you could use the direct nest URL. I have tried adding a camera with both methods, neither work now. I can view all the cameras with the nest app, and also by looking at a direct URL feed for public sharing, so no issues there. It is weird that everything was off without a reboot, etc. Just dropped.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does Blue Iris do auto updates? I have not updated anything myself, although the install is only 4 weeks old. I used to have to do the work around with copying the direct video path from the source, but after a recent update several months ago I noticed you could use the direct nest URL. I have tried adding a camera with both methods, neither work now. I can view all the cameras with the nest app, and also by looking at a direct URL feed for public sharing, so no issues there. It is weird that everything was off without a reboot, etc. Just dropped.
Blue iris is set to auto update by default. It should always be disabled. That said using nest cameras with blue iris is a terrible idea. Aside from the fact that nest occasionally changes the way they feed the video and this causes a streaming to stop, you are chewing up tons of bandwidth because the feet has to be sent to the cloud and then streamed back to blue iris from each camera. Nest cameras also has inferior image quality compared to the good cameras available today.

HHWear

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue iris is set to auto update by default. It should always be disabled. That said using nest cameras with blue iris is a terrible idea. Aside from the fact that nest occasionally changes the way they feed the video and this causes a streaming to stop, you are chewing up tons of bandwidth because the feet has to be sent to the cloud and then streamed back to blue iris from each camera. Nest cameras also has inferior image quality compared to the good cameras available today.
I dont have much of a choice on the Nest at the moment, already dropped several grand on them, as this is a large system. Maybe an auto update hit while I was gone.... not sure how to check that though. What do you suggest for future cameras"

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont have much of a choice on the Nest at the moment, already dropped several grand on them, as this is a large system. Maybe an auto update hit while I was gone.... not sure how to check that though. What do you suggest for future cameras"
You can sell them on eBay. You can buy cameras that are superior for 100 bux.

HHWear

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a location to get previous versions of BI? In case this is due to an auto update?

HHWear

n3wb
Reaction score
I will do a rollback in a few hours, as I use the 32-bit version, and see a new update went out Friday, so possible it auto updated when this happened. How do I turn off auto update?

Thanks again.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will do a rollback in a few hours, as I use the 32-bit version, and see a new update went out Friday, so possible it auto updated when this happened. How do I turn off auto update?

Thanks again.....
in the about tab

HHWear

n3wb
Reaction score
I am here now, and downloaded a previous update. Uninstalled BI, ,ran the older version, but says path not found for application. Do I need an older version of the program itself? Or will this let me roll it back from my current version?

Thanks

HHWear

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, well I see the update will let you roll it back over a newer version. Bad news is I went back two versions, but still same issue. It almost immediately says no signal, like it is not even searching for a feed.

HHWear

n3wb
Reaction score
This is what I get when I click on Find/Inspect, the Get Request is ok, but 404 errors when get system date and time..... I can still see all cameras via direct URL or Nest app....

HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
HTTP 404
Opening video.nest.com/live/ZIpcQRxxxxxxx port 8999...
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
HTTP 404
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
RTSP port open?
No automatic configuration made
Done

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, well I see the update will let you roll it back over a newer version. Bad news is I went back two versions, but still same issue. It almost immediately says no signal, like it is not even searching for a feed.
Check to see if the RTMPS address changed. I have two Nest cams and a Nest Hello doorbell and Nest changes the URL every so often.

HHWear

n3wb
Reaction score
Check to see if the RTMPS address changed. I have two Nest cams and a Nest Hello doorbell and Nest changes the URL every so often.
Thanks, since I am using the direct url now that we can do that, should this make a difference? I now use the same URL you use to view the direct feed from Nest.....

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, since I am using the direct url now that we can do that, should this make a difference? I now use the same URL you use to view the direct feed from Nest.....
I could never get the Https url to work. I’ve always used the RTMPS url.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont have much of a choice on the Nest at the moment, already dropped several grand on them, as this is a large system. ..."
Hi @HHWear

OUCH!

I would recommend selling those on Ebay ASAP before they depreciate too much.

For several grand you can get some top notch IP PoE cameras and a PoE switch, boxes of Cat6 cable and tools to do a good install.

Yes, cabling will take time - but the results are well worth it if you own the property.