New Amcrest AD410 doorbell Cam Review

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I didn't mention that ASP could be used to change settings. It is known to change other video settings in an unpredictable bundle.

My porch is also brightly lit, and the doorbell in auto mode never turns on the IR, so the video remains in full color, which I prefer. I do lose detail further out in the yard without the IR, but I have other Dahua 4K Starlights that cover it nicely.

stagf15

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings to all and a huge thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far. I recently purchased an AD410, and have set it up with the SH app, and now have video working just fine on my BlueIris setup. I do not have an external chime of any kind, I just have the doorbell powered by a 24VAC transformer. I have read through this entire thread, and several others online and it appears that many people allude to BlueIris triggering when the doorbell button is pressed.

I have not yet been able to get this working, and am wondering if there is some setup in BI that I have missed. I have set up a "clone" of the camera in BI that I have meant to be used for solely doorbell button push events /triggers, but nothing happens. I have checked the "Get ONVIF trigger" in the BI settings for the camera, and have tried Amcrest, Dahua, Generic etc cameras with no change.

I've also tried it with all combinations of setting in the SH app (motion on/off, human on/off, push notifications, etc...) the internal doorbell chime sounds, and I will get the call coming through on my phone, but that's it. No event in BI.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Integrating the button was my main reason for getting this thing as it sounded like a no-brainer?!

sparker

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about disabling the AMCREST watermark and setting keyframe interval the same as FPS.

My AD410 has the odd issue where there appears to be some sort of heartbeat issue where the feed stalls every 2 seconds briefly with the Monitor Center app on Synology Surveillance Center, but when I look at the same Amcrest Surveillance Pro feed, that is not stalling at all. Many of the settings in Synology have been set to the same as the camera or set to "by Camera" the only options I haven't messed with are these

SNAG-0007.jpg

Just wondering if anyone else has experience with Synology Surveillance Center with this camera and if I should be looking at tweaking specific settings.

SNAG-0008.jpg

Here are my camera settings in the Amcrest app.

Edit: I am also wondering if there is an API call we can use to invoke a factory reset, because I have the QR code in the box and don't need to dismount the camera if not needed :p

Last edited:

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can't help with your Synology issue other than to say that I haven't heard of this issue being reported before. There isn't a documented API call to factory reset any Dahua/Amcrest device that I've seen.

stagf15

n3wb
Reaction score
To answer my own question, I figured out that I wasn't getting triggers from the doorbell button because I hadn't configured the substream. I was only using the mainstream. I didn't realize that ONVIF triggers are only processed by BI via the substream. (or some other reason I cant find any documentation or posts about)

Also, because I activated the substream the recorded video and snapshot qualities were now terrible, so I made the substream path or address exactly the same as the the mainstream. Now I have ONVIF button press trigger activations (I guess they're ONVIF) and good quality video. I'm sure in some people's opinions this isn't optimal but I can figure out a reason to sacrifice video quality and use substream yet... My CPU is at about 17% with 8 cameras, and basic motion detection is good from what I can tell.

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just installed the AD410 yesterday and I am seeing some strange behavior in the night time video. It seems like it is very hazy on the outer part of the picture and the inside is more clear. It almost looks like a cats eye. I am attaching a picture of it here. Has anyone seen anything like this? I am wondering if I got a defective unit.

Attachments

sparker

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed the AD410 yesterday and I am seeing some strange behavior in the night time video. It seems like it is very hazy on the outer part of the picture and the inside is more clear. It almost looks like a cats eye. I am attaching a picture of it here. Has anyone seen anything like this? I am wondering if I got a defective unit.
Looks like you have two light sources left and right that are causing glare. Try turning off night vision, and see if the image is clear enough.

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like you have two light sources left and right that are causing glare. Try turning off night vision, and see if the image is clear enough.
Yes it looks like my landscaping lights are causing this. I had a Ring doorbell before the AD410 and did not have this issue. I am wondering what could be the difference here. If I set the Ad10 day and night mode to color the picture looks better. The issue is the landscape lights are programmed to turn off at 10PM so then the Ad10 will only show a dark picture when they turn off. Wondering if I can set Home Assistant to turn the Day and Night mode back to Auto when the landscape lights turn off which would solve that.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wondering if I can set Home Assistant to turn the Day and Night mode back to Auto
Yes, that's doable.

If you are using the HASS custom Dahua integration for the AD410, there is a built-in service call:
dahua.set_infrared_mode​
target: camera.cam13_main
mode: Auto, On, Off
brightness: 0 - 100 inclusive​
Sets the infrared mode. Useful to set the mode back to Auto​

If you prefer to use the core Amcrest integration instead, it's not built-in, but it can be done with command line switches using cURL to issue the necessary API commands. I can share that code, if needed.

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, that's doable.

If you are using the HASS custom Dahua integration for the AD410, there is a built-in service call:
dahua.set_infrared_mode​
target: camera.cam13_main
mode: Auto, On, Off
brightness: 0 - 100 inclusive​
Sets the infrared mode. Useful to set the mode back to Auto​
If you prefer to use the core Amcrest integration instead, it's not built-in, but it can be done with command line switches using cURL to issue the necessary API commands. I can share that code, if needed.
Thanks for that info! I have it configured now and will see how this works.

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just a heads up guys. I have been working with the support team to resolve issues with WDR only working in a binary fashion i.e on or off. I have been advised that the issue is now fixed and the firmware is under test.
Fingers crossed we will get an early Christmas present ;)

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any idea if this is yet another "only if you ask for it" ADx10 firmware release and if it will include updates other than WDR? There hasn't yet been a SmartHome firmware cloud update notice for the AD410, so hopefully this will be a global release. I have received a newer firmware from support a few months ago but they could not provide any firmware release notes as to what was fixed or added so I have not installed it.

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any idea if this is yet another "only if you ask for it" ADx10 firmware release and if it will include updates other than WDR? There hasn't yet been a SmartHome firmware cloud update notice for the AD410, so hopefully this will be a global release. I have received a newer firmware from support a few months ago but they could not provide any firmware release notes as to what was fixed or added so I have not installed it.
I doubt very much it will include additional updates but I do not know that for sure. I really needed the WDR sorted and after many calls and emails I finally reached the the right people and the new firmware is presently being tested before release.
I have no idea how and if the release will be made public. I would have expected it to be made available through the app.

erylflynn

n3wb
Reaction score
So is this camera no longer recommended due to some issues and that they are not providing updates?

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do still recommend the AD410. To clarify the comments about updates - since the AD410's release well over a year ago, there hasn't been a single update notification in the SmartHome app. (There have been several for the older AD110). However, if you contact Amcrest Support with an issue or just ask them for the newest version, they will send it to you. Theses updates have not included any release notes.

Of concern is that apparently the Dahua DB6I latest firmware has removed the HTTP API capability along with events that Home Assistant (among other s/w) use to trigger motion and button press actions.

Last edited:

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am updating this as after 2 units I am still having this issue. I initially thought that it was my landscape lights but even after turning them off the issue is still there as you can see in the latest screen shot. One thing I have found is that after toggling the Infrared switch on the Dahua Home Assistant intigration the haze goes away but the picture is obviously dark. My guess is that the infrared lights in the AD410 are reflecting against the camera lens and that is what is causing this issue. Is anyone else having this issue?

Attachments

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am updating this as after 2 units I am still having this issue. I initially thought that it was my landscape lights but even after turning them off the issue is still there as you can see in the latest screen shot. One thing I have found is that after toggling the Infrared switch on the Dahua Home Assistant intigration the haze goes away but the picture is obviously dark. My guess is that the infrared lights in the AD410 are reflecting against the camera lens and that is what is causing this issue. Is anyone else having this issue?
UPDATE #2

After submitting a ticket at Amcrest support, they have advised me to RMA the unit as they think it may be a defect with some of their cameras. I purchased both of my units through Amazon so I am not sure if it is part of a bad batch or not. Will await for the replacement to arrive from Amcrest and see if the issue is fixed.

waterside

n3wb
Reaction score
UPDATE #2

After submitting a ticket at Amcrest support, they have advised me to RMA the unit as they think it may be a defect with some of their cameras. I purchased both of my units through Amazon so I am not sure if it is part of a bad batch or not. Will await for the replacement to arrive from Amcrest and see if the issue is fixed.
Thank you for this. I too ordered mine through Amazon.

I have the exact same issue, only a bit worse. The AD410 has a pair of infrared LEDs on either side of the camera and the glare looks like it is from them. I too had worked to rule out external sources with no luck.

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for this. I too ordered mine through Amazon.

I have the exact same issue, only a bit worse. The AD410 has a pair of infrared LEDs on either side of the camera and the glare looks like it is from them. I too had worked to rule out external sources with no luck.
UPDATE #3

Amcrest sent me an RMA unit and I installed it yesterday. This unit still has the issue, but it appears to only be in the left side instead of both sides like my original camera. I have sent them the attached screen shot and asked what the next steps are.

Attachments